The Craxford Family Magazine Red Pages

{$text['mgr_red1']} Cottingham 2.6.3

The Jacksons, my Middleton family

by Janice Binley
Supplemental material by Alan D. Craxford

An Introduction To The Jacksons

Janice Binley

Janice Binley Associate Editor

In my previous article "A Family Photograph Album: The Binleys, Jacksons and Tansleys" [Article A.] , I explored the close and complex relationship between these three families. In the late 1980s I began a Binley tree of my own, but as I obtained more information I realised that we were very much entwined with both the Tansleys and the Jacksons and our old family photograph album suddenly became alive when some of the names I had discovered were featured in there. This article will explore the lives of my great grandparents, John Jackson and Elizabeth Tansley and the trials and tribulations of their many children.

I can trace our Jackson family back four generations in Middleton to Edward in 1775 who was my great, great, great grandfather. Edward had three sons and four daughters that I know of. My line comes through his oldest son, Thomas. I previously mentioned his second daughter Amy, who married William Jackson and also noted that his second oldest son, John married Elizabeth Crane, the aunt of the three Crane brothers whose story is told in "The Crane family of Cottingham. Part 1:Victim or Villain?" [Article B.]). That line did not progress as they had no children.

When I was a child my grandmother, Amy Ann Jackson (Nan), would often tell me about her own childhood in Townsend in Middleton. There were only a few houses in Ashley Road in those days and I suppose the area was called Townsend locally because it branched off the main street of Middleton and was apart from the main hub of the village.

Old map: Middleton 1902.
Old map: Cottingham 1886.

Maps of Middleton (1902) and Cottingham (1886) showing variations of street names and places of interest

Townsend, Middleton

Townsend, Middleton (about 1907)

I learned during my childhood and early teens that the Jacksons had 9 living children and Nan still seemed saddened that another brother "poor little Eddie" had died in infancy. Even now, I am still not sure whether it was the way Nan explained his death, or if it was the way my child's mind interpreted what she said, but for some time afterwards I thought 'infancy' was some terrible disease that children died of.

The family life of John and Elizabeth Jackson

John Jackson and Elizabeth Tansley, Nan's parents, were married in 1859 when he was 20 and she was 19. John followed in his father's footsteps and became a farm labourer, working for Berry's Farm for over 50 years. Elizabeth worked from her home in Cottingham as a lace maker before their marriage, along with one of her sisters, Matilda.

John Jackson and Elizabeth Tansley: married in 1859

John and Elizabeth (Tansley) Jackson

In the 1800s, after the cereal crops had been harvested, the village women were allowed to 'go gleaning'. They would gather the remnants of the crop to be ground into flour or for food for their chickens or pigs. Once, whilst out gleaning, Elizabeth found a puppy crying for its mother. She assumed it had been abandoned and took it home to show the family. John wasn't very pleased and made her take it back to where she found it. The 'puppy' was a fox cub and he was afraid the vixen would break a window, if necessary, to retrieve it.

Children of John and Elizabeth Jackson

Children of John and Elizabeth Jackson: Standing: Tom; Ezra; Seated: Laura Elizabeth (Lizzie); Emma; John

John and Elizabeth had little or no schooling and Nan and Ezra, having learned the "3 R's" at Middleton school, taught their parents how to read and write during winter evenings. Although poor, the family never went hungry, seemed happy and the children were close. The older girls, Lizzie, Ellen and Emma eventually went into service in London, but Nan started work at the Cottingham Factory when she was 11. John, the oldest boy became a guard on the railways and lived in London with his family of eight children. David, Tom and Arthur became regular soldiers, serving their country for 60 years between them. Ezra emigrated to Australia after serving an apprenticeship in Northampton under his brother-in-law, William Hodges to learn last and boot making.

Elizabeth, in addition to raising her own 9 children, also raised her grandson, Fred, who was the son of her daughter Ellen Jackson. Whilst in her late 70's in 1919/20 she looked after two of her great grandchildren. The little girls (Gwen and Midge, aged about 5 and 6) played tricks on her sometimes. They would drop blobs of porridge on her head through a hole in the bedroom floorboards. She also acted as a midwife in the village and washed and dressed the dead (laid people out) before they were buried.

John and Elizabeth were married for over 60 years. The write-up acknowledging their Diamond Wedding in the local newspaper, dated November 7th 1919, reports that they had 60 descendants, 10 children, 42 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren. John Jackson's aunt, also called Amy, married into the Tansley family in 1836.

Thomas Jackson (1859-1859); Edward Jackson (1879-1880)

Elizabeth Tansley was heavily pregnant at the time of her marriage to John Jackson. A son Thomas was born the following month and baptised on November 26th 1859. Thomas only survived eighteen days and was buried on December 6th 1859. As mentioned above, for many years there was a family memory of "poor little Eddie" who I always believed referred to the untimely death of my great grandmother's infant baby. This current research project has made me scrutinise every document I have about the Jackson family again - and remarkably I noticed one statement I had completely missed before. There it was on John and Elizabeth's 1911 Census return. In their 51 years of marriage they had had 11 children born alive (not 10) of which 2 children had died (not 1). A search of the General Register Office files soon showed that Elizabeth had given birth to a baby boy in September 1879 (between Ezra and Amy Ann) that they named Edward. He had died aged 7 months on April 7th 1880 and was buried four days later. The cause of death was registered as Pertussis (Whooping cough). It's a highly contagious disease causing distressing uncontrollable coughing and difficulty breathing which is especially deadly in infants. His big sister Lizzie was with him when he died and also recorded his death. It has taken me 70 years to realise that the "little Eddie" Amy Ann, my grandmother, referred to was this poor boy and not the much earlier Thomas

Laura Elizabeth Jackson (1861-1919)

Elizabeth Jackson

Elizabeth Jackson

Their eldest daughter was born in the early months of 1861 and baptised Elizabeth (but known in the family as Lizzie) on April 14th the same year. In the spring of 1883 she married William Henry Hodges in Leicester, curiously her name indexed as Laura Elizabeth. William was over 20 years older than she was. He had married Maria Sellick in Bristol in 1866 and she had borne him five children. She died in Leicester aged 40 years in 1881. It is not known how Elizabeth and William met. After the marriage, William moved his boot making business from Leicester to Northampton (which would have been the heart of the footwear industry in those days). He and Elizabeth set up home in Augustin Street in the town. By 1891, Elizabeth had presented William with three children. Living with them was William's 17 year old son Alfred and Elizabeth's younger brother Ezra.

Sadly last born daughter Millicent Mabel, born in the autumn of 1890 died at the age of eighteen months. By the turn of the century William, Elizabeth and their two remaining children had moved to Islington, London finding accommodation in Goodinge Road close by her sisters. William died there in 1910. Elizabeth then set up home in Brecknock Road Kentish Town, London with daughter Bessie and son Edgar and also took in three lodgers. Elizabeth died in London in 1919

Bessie May Hodges (1886-1981)

Bessie May was born in the spring of 1886. Her birth was registered in the Poplar Registration District which may suggest that Elizabeth had travelled to London to be with her sisters during delivery. Although Bessie spent her early childhood in Northampton, the family had relocated to London by the time of the census of 1901. Ten years later, the 1911 census shows Bessie working as a bookkeeper in a hairdresser's salon. This was the occupation she followed all her life.

In the early months of 1914 she married 25 year old Ernest Frank Ward. Prior to the marriage, Ernest had been living with his parents and seven siblings in Stoke Newington and showed his employment as a Chauffeur. Bessie was already pregnant and their daughter Gwendoline was born shortly afterwards on 5 April 1914. Another daughter Erica Marjorie who became known as Midge (who I am named after) was born in 1916. Soon after that the marriage soured when Bessie discovered that Ernest was not working as she supposed but was taking items from the house and selling them.

Bessie ended the relationship and came back to Middleton to live with her grandmother, Elizabeth Jackson, bringing her two children who were still under school age with her. Whilst Elizabeth looked after the children, Bessie found another job as a bookkeeper in Market Harborough and cycled there every day in order to support herself and the girls. Eventually Bessie moved to Kettering, first to Britannia Road, then to Elm Road before finally settling in Tennyson Road where she lived for many years. The 1939 census shows both girls working in a drapery concern in the town. Also in the house were two boarders: Maureen Brass, an assistant teacher and Helen Monaghan a head teacher from the same school.

The family came to Cottingham frequently and usually stayed with uncle Tom and aunt Caroline (Jackson) at the Royal George. Whilst in the village, Erica Marjorie met and married Ronald George Claypole (who was first cousin once removed to Caroline Jackson) at St Mary Magdalene Church in the summer of 1941. This was a double wedding with his twin brother, Reginald Henry Claypole, who married Grace Evelyn, the daughter of George Alfred Liquorish and Annie Jarvis. This branch of the Liquorish family had been residence in the village for about 60 years (Their story is told in "The Gretton Craxfords: Exodus II - All sorts of Liquorish" [Article C.]). Ron and Midge settled in the village and eventually ran the Post Office in Church Street for a number of years. Needless to say Bessie came to stay at weekends and managed the books. Bessie died on 28 June 1961.

Double wedding

L: Reginald Claypole and Grace Liquorish
R: Ronald Claypole and Erica Hodges

2. Edgar Arthur Hodges (1888-1964)

Son Edgar Arthur was born on June 2nd 1888. Like his sister, his birth was registered in the Poplar District of London. He followed the moves of his mother and by 1911 he was working as a barrister's clerk. In 1914 he was living with his mother in Hilldrop Crescent Islington.

At the outbreak of the first World War, he enlisted as Sapper 4/203a with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force. He described his occupation as motor mechanic. He embarked for Egypt on December 11th 1914, arriving there on Christmas Eve. Following a short tour of duty there he embarked again, this time for Gallipoli. On the night of June 9th and 10th 1915 in the neighbourhood of Gaba Tepe in the Dardanelles he volunteered to demolish a Turkish Blockhouse very close to the enemy trenches. For this action he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for great gallantry (2, 3). After this he spent many months transferring between convalesence in the allied base at Moudros Bay on the Isalnd of Lemnos and hospital in Alexandria in Egypt. He was promoted to Lance Corporal in March 1916 (which was subsequently removed from him in June) and was transferred to France in May that year. In 1917 he spent time as a driver and as a cook. He was finally discharged back to London on August 29th 1919.

There is evidence that he had an interest in the music hall before the war (4). Back home in peacetime Edgar (also known as Jack) joined a provincial theatre company where he took on roles as a comedian and a singer. As an example he appeared in the musical "Afgar" or "The Andalusian Leisure" (5, 6) on tour which had opened in the West End, starriing amongst others, Lupino Lane. At the outbreak of the second World War he was in residence at 2 Gunnersbury Avenue, Acton in West London at a guest house run by proprietor Bessie Grylls. Edgar had declared himself a theatrical artiste.

He was an avid golfer and was vice president of the Vaudeville Golfing Society alongside such luminaries as Bruce Forsyth, Bud Flanagan and Harry Secombe (7). Edgar married rather late in life. He was 58 years of age when he wed Marjorie Gradwell Bartlett in the winter months of 1946. They lived together at 9 Tring Avenue in Ealing, Middlesex where he died on March 9th 1964.


Dinner at Park Hotel, London 1953 (8)
Left: Edgar with wife Marjorie; Right: Charlie Chester, Alex Rose, Edgar (Jack) Hodges, Ben Warriss

John Jackson (1864-1929)

Son John was born about three years after his sister Elizabeth on June 5th 1864 and was baptised at St Mary Magdalene Church two weeks later. In his early teens he worked with his father as an agricultural labourer for a time before joining the Midland Railway. His first post, starting on July 17th 1884, was as a porter at Long Preston station, about 37 miles north west of Leeds on the line to Morecambe.

St Thomas

St Thomas' Church (from an old postcard)

After a couple of years he made the move to London. He married Mary Ann Martha Sutters on May 30th 1887 at St Thomas' Church, Wrotham Road, Agar Town, Camden. The church had been built in 1864 but Agar Town was described at the time as a slum with poor living conditions and no running water supply. Over the next several years the old town disappeared under the tracks and marshalling yards which accompanied the development and opening of the Midland Railway's St Pancras Station. The church, which was damaged during bombing in the second World War was demolished in the early 1950s (9).

Mary Ann, born in 1864, was the oldest of the children of Jehovah's Witness Jeremiah Sutters and his wife Elizabeth Satcher. Elizabeth had next given birth to twin boys in 1868. Then approaching Christmas 1869 she delivered a baby girl. Mother and baby both died in the early months of 1870. Elizabeth was just 36 years old. Jeremiah married again to Hannah Bowley in 1872 and had a daughter, Emily in 1876. Jeremiah died aged 49 years in 1883.

John Jackson

John Jackson

By the time of the census of 1891 John and Mary Ann had their first two babies: Mary (1889) and John (1890). They had made their first home at 69 Goodinge Road, in a property which housed two other railway workers' families. Also with them was Mary Ann's half sister 16 year old Emily who was acting as a housemaid. John was now a guard. Over the next decade three more sons arrived: Frederick (1894), Walter (1896) and Alfred Thomas (1900). The turn of the century saw them in fresh accommodation at 89 Kings Road, St Pancras. In the early years of the new century they had three daughters: Amy Elsie (1903); Vera Winnie (1905) and Edith (1907). Amy was named after John's youngest sister, Amy, my grandmother. The couple then lived for many years at 50 Goodinge Road, the 1911 census confirming that this address also provided accommodation for two other railway families. By this time all three sons were working for the railway company.

Bessie, Caroline and Amy

Bessie, Caroline and Amy

When she was younger Amy Elsie, John and Mary Ann's second daughter, did spend some time in the village and forged a friendship between herself, Bessie Hodges and Caroline Claypole. Amy and Bessie were first cousins and Caroline was their second cousin. When this photograph was taken the three girls could not have predicted that Caroline would eventually become their aunt by marrying their uncle! When grown up and married with their own families, Mary Elizabeth, John and Amy Elsie would quite often come up to Middleton from London and their visits were met with equal excitement.

John sustained a fatal heart attack whilst on duty in 1929. Although the location is not known for certain, the family memory suggests it was at either Leicester or Kettering railway station. He was 65 years old.

Ellen Jackson (1866-1935)


The Wool Pack today
(now a private house)

John and Elizabeth Jackson then had two daughters born within two years of each other: Ellen in the spring of 1866 and Emma in the summer of 1868. Both girls spent their childhood and early teenage years in the family home in Middleton. The census for 1881 records Ellen as spending time as an agricultural labourer, whilst Emma was a general domestic servant. Their house was next door to the Wool Pack Inn managed by Elizabeth Rayson who employed Emma Liquorish from Cottingham as a general help.

Ellen and Emma

Ellen and Emma Jackson

During the 1880s Ellen made her way to London where she started her working life proper in domestic service. Whilst there she became pregnant and in 1889 she had a son she named Fred. When I was young my grandmother Amy, who was Ellen's younger sister, told me that because she was no longer able to work to support herself and the child, she would end it all and threatened to throw herself into the River Thames. John and Elizabeth immediaely told her to bring the child to Middleton and they brought Fred up themselves.

The 1891 census shows that Ellen had returned to London where she was working for 52 year old lithographer Otto Richmer who was originally from Dresden, Germany and his wife. They lived in Coleridge Road in Hornsey. This arrangement did not last long and she soon returned to the East Midlands and began working in Market Harborough. She met William Alfred Mawson who came from Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire and the couple were married in Cottingham in the summer of 1899. They settled in King's Road, Market Harborough. William owned and operated a soft drinks factory in the town. Over the first decade of the new century, Ellen had four children, two sons and two daughters. William died in the town in the early months of 1912. Ellen continued to live in King's Road until the early 1930s providing a home for several of her offspring over the years. She died there in the spring of 1935.

Water works

Mawson's Bottling Plant and staff

Emma Jackson (1868-1942)

St John

St John the Baptish (10)

Sister Emma followed her sister south to London and by 1891 she was in domestic service as a nurse maid with the family of shop fitter Edward John Deen. They lived in Winchester Road, Hornsey, about 8 miles away from Coleridge Road. Some of Emma's free time in London was obviously spent at the home of her brother, John, in Goodinge Road. There she met a young railway worker called John, the son of Walter Berry who was originally from Warwickshire, one of the other families living at the same address. They were married at St John the Baptist Church, Kentish Town on August 28th 1892. Brother John and sister Ellen acted as witnesses.

St Lukes

St Luke's Holloway (11)

They set up home together at 26 Goodinge Road, another multi-family residence. John Berry also worked as a railway guard. By 1911 the couple had four children, a son and three daughters. Son Edward John started work in the tailoring trade as a cutter's assistant. Emma died in London in the early months of 1942.

At the age of 21 years, youngest daughter Elsie Florence Berry married Walter Jackson at St Lukes Church West Holloway on January 9th 1921. Walter, the third son of John Jackson and Mary Ann Sutters and who was still living at home, was by this time a fireman. Elsie and Walter therefore were first cousins. The couple continued to live at 26 Goodinge Road up to the outbreak of the second World War by which time they had six children, three sons and three daughters. Walter had found work as a fireman at a theatre. Walter died in London in 1958. Elsie Florence lived on, moving to Barnet in north London where she died in May 11th 1982.

Continued in column 2...

Please contact us

email If you have any questions or comments about the information on this site in general, or you have further information regarding this article, please Get in touch by leaving a message in our Guestbook. If you don't want the message to be added to the Guestbook, just say that in your text. We look forward to hearing from you.

David Jackson (1870-1944)

St Peters

St Peter & St Paul's Church, Kettering (12)

David was born on December 14th 1870 (although the birth was registered in the first quarter of the following year). He spent his childhood in the family home in Townsend, Middleton. In his teens he moved to Kettering and began his working life as a rivetter in the shoe industry. Whilst there he met and married Harriet, a shoe closer and the daughter of James York and Mary Bailey.

There is no doubt that Harriet was to endure a disastrous obstetric history. Until now the perceived wisdom, reiterated on several online family trees, was that David and Harriet had eight children between 1890 and 1914 (the final two born in 1911 and 1914); this seemingly backed up by David's declaration in his census statement of 1911 that they had been married for 21 years and had 6 children of which all were living. I asked a fellow researcher, who is also medically trained, to cast an eye over my material. He immediately saw an aberration and cast doubt that the facts were complete. There was a gap of nine years between baby number 2 in 1894 and baby number 3 in 1903.

David and Harriet

David and Harriet with Horace and baby Ethel May about 1894

Aided by the relativey new birth indexes dating back to 1837 from the General Register Office which include the mother's maiden name, we discovered a further six births registered in the Kettering District to Jackson with mother's name York in those intervening years. Two of these were immediately confirmed as belonging to David and Harriet by finding their baptisms in Kettering. All six of those babies died within weeks. Furthermore, it transpired that Harriet had become pregnant in late 1888 and a baby boy was delivered on May 12th 1889. He was baptised Horace Jackson York on October 13th 1889 at the church of St Peter and St Paul in Kettering. Two months later on Christmas Day David and Harriet were married at the same church and Horace dropped "York" from his name.

The pattern of Harriet's pregnancies and the births and rapid deaths of her infants is highly suggestive of the phenomenon described as far back as 1875 and has become known as Kassowitz's Law (See Further Reading i and ii) In its classical form, this states that if a woman who has borne several healthy children suddenly goes through a period of 6-8 years where she has a series of miscarriages, still births or neo-natal deaths, unhealthy children who die quickly, unhealthy children who survive and then back to healthy children again then syphilis is the most likely cause. Syphilis can, but not always, have devastating effects on the unborn child leading to respiratory problems ("snuffles" and larygitis), deformities and blindness. At its most florid, the Victorian practitioner would easily recognise the stigmata in the young child who survived birth. We examined the birth and death certificates of all six of these infants. The birth certificates confirmed that they did indeed all belong to David and Harriet. The death certificates did not contain any direct reference to syphilis so that the diagnosis cannot be confirmed. However the cause of death given in several of the cases is to the say the least vague and non-specific leaving questions unanswered. Such terms as infant atrophy, marasmus, failure to thrive are observations needing an underlying pathological explanation. The uncertainty in this case is underlined by David's failure to acknowledge his six dead babies on the 1911 census return. An added curiosity is that one of the children born after the main hiatus was known to be a lifelong invalid.

Arthur 16/10/1890 20 weeks 4 days Marasmus
Ernest 05/06/1892 16 weeks 4 days Infantile atrophy; convulsions
Sarah 08/02/1897 5 weeks Exhaustion; acute bronchitis
Ezra 31/07/1899 19 days Marasmus
Mary 16/02/1902 14 days Bronchitis
Frederick 01/07/1904 31 days Diarrhoea

TABLE 1: Survival times and certified causes of deaths of the six live births between 1890 and 1904

David saw service with the Kettering Volunteers (which became part of the Northamptonshire Regiment) both in the South African Campaign and during the first World War. He later served as steward for many years at the Volunteer Drill Hall Club in London Road Kettering which was about a mile and a half away from where they lived in Water Street. David died there on June 6th 1944 of a coronary thrombosis and high blood pressure. Harriet died from the same condition five months later on November 19th 1944.

The surviving children of David and Harriet

Horace Jackson

Horace Jackson with his daughter-in-law, Sylvia Bradshaw

Sylvia Bradshaw and Horace Jackson

As a young man Horace followed the family tradition into the shoe trade. When war broke out Horace served and fought on the Somme and at Ypres. During his service in France he contracted trench foot and was sent back to England until it healed. He married Ethel Wright in the spring of 1915 and their only son was born two years later. Horace and Ethel were still living in Kettering in 1939 with their son Arthur and Horace's younger brother, Leslie, who was working as a labourer with a Public Works Contractor. Horace was by this time employed at the steel works in Corby.

Ultimately Horace moved the family back to Middleton. When the building was used as a school, there were two entrances, one for the boys and one for the girls. After the old school in Middleton closed it was split into two dwellings, each family having its own entrance. The respective kitchens and living rooms, once classrooms and cloakrooms, were at opposite ends with a long corridor between which had windows to the front. The bedrooms were accessed by doors set in the opposite wall of the corridor with the windows facing over the Welland Valley at the back. Horace bought the building and his family still live there. Horace died in the winter of 1970.

In 1941, Arthur, Horace and Ethel's son, married Sylvia Constance Bradshaw. They were third cousins: Sylvia's great grandmother was Matilda Tansley, Arthur's great grandmother Elizabeth's sister.

The Girls: Ethel May; Grace Elizabeth; Clara Ellen

First daughter Ethel May was born on February 24th 1894. She lived at home in Bath Road, Kettering, working as a machinist until she married Jesse Cockings in the autumn of 1915. They had one daughter. They emigrated to British Columbia, Canada where Jesse died in 1958, followed by Ethel in 1972.

Next daughter Grace Elizabeth arrived on September 6th 1905. She married George Potter in 1929 and settled in Great Bowden near Market Harborough. George was a "permanent way" labourer, a member of a gang of railway track maintenance men. They had three chidren but their first born died in 1940 aged 8 years. Grace died in 1984.

The final girl, Clara Ellen, was born on April 1st 1909. She married Rowland Johnson from Thrapston in the spring of 1931. They moved to Alfred Street Kettering where Rowland was employed as a railway engineer and Clara worked at a factory making cardboard boxes. Their only son Kenneth was born in 1943. Clara died in 1978.

The Boys: William; Frederick; Cyril; Leslie

Born on August 1st 1903, William, known for most of his life as 'Bill', married Eva Moore in 1930. By 1939, William was a lorry driver and Eva was working as a shoe machinist. They were living at Lakeside Bunglaows in Barton Seagrave near Kettering. Their marriage remained childless but they did adopt a boy. After the war they moved to Great Easton, Leicestershire where William died on July 4th 1986.

Frederick Richard was born on September 16th 1906. Very little is known about him except that he was unable to work for some reason. This does tally with the 1939 Register which shows him living in Water Street with his parents and described as an 'invalid'. At some point after his parents died in 1944 Dick, as he was known, went into Fletton House in Oundle which used to be part of Glapthorn Road Hospital. He died there on February 20th 1976, the registered cause of death being jaundice and cancer of the pancreas.

Cyril Herbert was born on October 8th 1911. He married Annie Thompson in 1931 in Kettering. By 1939 they were established in Orchard Crescent in the town where Cyril was working as a laster in the shoe trade. Their first child was born in 1932; their second in 1937. Cyril died in January 1992 aged 80.


Les Jackson, Scoutmaster

Final child, Leslie Arthur David, was born on November 16th 1914. As a young man he took on work as a heavy labourer for a Public Works Contractor. In October 1939 he was living with his older brother Horace and his wife Ethel on The Hill in Middleton. Also in 1939, he married Grace Tomkins who had been working in Bury House in Cottingham. Between 1940 and 1957 they had three sons and two daughters. After the war, Leslie worked at the steelworks in Corby, but collapsed with a heart attack in 1961 and died. He was aged 47. Grace worked hard to bring her family up on her own. She took on a number of tasks over the years including taking in washing, delivering newspapers, cleaning, helping with home births and finally working in the shop on the corner of Corby Road. In 1963 Grace and the 4 children still at home moved into No 6 Ripley Road which had previously been Tom and Caroline Jackson's home. In 1989 her youngest son then aged 33 was involved in a road accident and tragically killed. Grace moved to Market Harborough in the late 1990s to be near her daughters and she died there aged 86 in 2003.

Leslie and Grace's first born son, David, married Angela, the daughter of Harold Stanger and Vera Annie Claypole, in Market Harborough in 1961. Their first born son, Shane, was born a year later. (See also FOOTNOTE.


L to R: Harold Stanger (baby's grandfather); Eileen Jackson holding baby Shane (David's sister); Sylvia Stanger (Angela's sister); William 'Bill' Jackson (great uncle)
Photograph taken in the winter of 1962/63

Alfred Thomas Jackson (1874-1950)

Alfred Thomas, known for most of his life as Tom, was born on June 12th 1874. His first job was as a rivetter in a shoe factory. It seems however that from a relatively early age Tom knew he wanted to become a soldier. The 16 year old achieved this ambition when he enlisted for a seven year short service commission on September 21st 1890. By 1891 he was stationed in Aldershot with the 1st Battalion the Northamptonshire Regiment. His entry medical examination describes him as being 5 feet 4½ inches tall, weighing 14 stone 2 pounds, with grey eyes, dark brown hair and a fresh complexion. He saw service on the North West Frontier in India between October 1892 and February 1898 and was awarded a Telegraphy Certificate on October 11th 1895. When in India he probably developed a taste for curry. This was almost certainly passed on to at least one of his sons because when he lived next door to us the appetising smell of curry cooking would sometimes waft into our back garden!

He left the Army at the end of his commitment but rejoined the Colours on October 9th 1899 and was immediately shipped out to South Africa to fight the Boers. He was promoted to unpaid Lance Corproal in March 1901 and this was converted to paid Lance Corporal on May 6th 1901 with a transfer to the 2nd Battalion, the Northamptonshire Regiment. His tour of duty in the South African campaign lasted until August 29th 1902. He was discharged from the service the following month.


Two cottages on Frog Island

Within two months at the age of 28 years, Tom married his first cousin 18 year old Caroline Claypole (their mothers were sisters) at St Mary Magdalene Church in Cottingham. Her brother John Henry and sister Emily Claypole witnessed the ceremony. They set up home in Prospect Place (or Frogs Island as it was known locally) on Rockingham Road. For several years Tom worked as a blast furnaceman at the Corby Steel Works. They had five children, 3 boys and 2 girls, but sadly the youngest, Beryl Elsa born in June 1925, probably named after Tom's brother Ezra's daughter, only lived for about six months. Shortly after the baby died Tom decided to give up his job and took on the licence of The Royal George Public House in Blind Lane Cottingham. Caroline had become very depressed after losing the baby and Tom was hoping that having more company would take her mind off their tragedy. They were still in residence there in September 1939 when oldest son Ivor was living in the cottage which was attached to the Royal George. The pub was the scene of many family weddings and parties and a holiday home for cousins from London who visited quite often in those days. Daughter Ruby could play the piano and Tom and Caroline would organise concerts at the pub to raise money for the British Legion. They left the Royal George in the late 1940s, having become the longest serving landlords of the establishment, when middle son Bernard and his wife took over the licence.


Tom and Caroline outside the Royal George

Tom died on November 25th 1950. He was buried in section G9 plot 144 of the churchyard. Caroline lived on in Cottingham for another 12 years. She died on February 15th 1963 and was buried in the same plot as her husband.

Tom and Caroline's sons: Ivor, Bernard, Vyvyan


Ivor Jackson

First son Ivor Alfred was born on November 17th 1902. He was given the third name Ezra after his uncle. He never married, living with his parents first on Frog Island and then in the cottage attached the the Royal George in Blind Lane. He was employed as a blast furnaceman at the Corby Steelworks for his whole working life. He served in the Home Guard and as an air raid warden during the second World War. He died on February 28th 1953 from bronchitis and pulmonary oedema. He was buried in section G 10 plot 161 of the curchyard, close by the grave of his parents.

Outside Royal George

Bernard amd Elsie outside the Royal George

Second son Bernard John Thomas was born on March 19th 1904. He too worked at the steelworks as a loco driver. He married Elsie May, the daughter of Thomas Claypole and Mary Atkins, in the village in 1928. Elsie was born on December 11th 1901 and her family's story can be found in "The Sorrows of Mary Atkins" [Article D.]). Bernard and Elsie were fourth cousins once removed. In 1939 the couple were living with Elsie's mother in one of the council houses in Approach Road (now called Ripley Road) which ran off Rockingham Road. As mentioned above, Bernard and Elsie took over the running of the Royal George when Tom and Caroline retired. Bernard died in the autumn of 1987. Elsie survived him by eighteen months.

Vyvyan Sidney Arthur was born on January 23rd 1907 and was usually known as Sid. He was the third brother to work for Corby Steelworks as a shunter at the ironstone mines. Sid played football in his youth with his future brother-in-law, Wallace Edwin Panter, for the village team. Sid married Ethel Maud White in 1928 and their only son was born later that year. Initially Ethel and Sid set up home in a cottage (which they nick-named 'Tin Hat') because it had a corrugated tin roof on The Coursey, opposite the Methodist Chapel, on Corby Road. In 1939 they were living at No 10 Approach Road along with Eliza and William White (Ethel's parents) and Muriel Crook and David Crook who were probably evacuees. This house was next door to my grandparents and two doors away from his brother Bernard. In the mid-1950s Ethel and Sid moved into a larger house in Bancroft Road. When Sid retired from the Steelworks aged 65 years, he received a gold wristwatch for his long and dedicated service. He died in 1980.

Daughter: Ruby Bessie May


Ruby Jackson

Daughter Ruby Bessie May was born on June 1st 1912. She probably received her second and third names in an acknowledgement of Tom's sister Elizabeth's daughter. She spent most of her teenage years at the Royal George Pub and helped with it's day to day running.

She was very keen on nursing and although she never trained as a nurse, she obtained several certificates from St John's Ambulance and practised first-aid in the village along with another older resident. In addition, Fred Jackson, the adopted son of her grandparents, became a butcher and he often slaughtered pigs. Apparently some of its internal organs are very similar to those of a human being and Ruby was allowed to accompany Fred so she could see for them herself.

Outside Royal George

Paddle Steamer Glen Rosa (HMS Glencross) (13)

In January 1935 she married her second cousin, Wallace Edwin Panter. They set up home in a large detached house at Sutton Basset near Market Harborough which they named Glen Cross. This name was chosen because Wallace had served in the Royal Navy in the first World War on board a vessel, a passenger paddle steamer named Glen Rosa, which had been requisitioned by the Admiralty and renamed HMS Glencross.

For the next few years Ruby concentrated mainly on her home and bringing up her children. She named her first daughter who was born on December 16th 1937, Elsa, probably in memory of baby Beryl Elsa, the little sister she never knew. There were short periods where Ruby returned to Cottingham to work at the Clothing Factory as a machinist. Wallace was a school teacher and progressed to Headmaster in Market Harborough. When he retired in the late 1960s the family moved to a new bungalow in Middleton, more or less opposite to where Ruby's Jackson grandparents had lived. Wallace died in 1972 and Ruby continued to work at Cottingham Factory and briefly at a factory in Gretton until she retired. She died aged 95 in 2007.

Ezra Jackson (1877-1934)


Ezra Jackson

Next son, Ezra, was born at the opening of 1877. At 14 years of age Ezra was sent to Northampton to start working in his brother in law William Hodges boot making business. He began as a boot laster (a worker who produced the leather uppers using a shoe or boot shaped wooden last) alongside Alfred, William's son from his first marriage.

It seems that Ezra was a fast learner and skilled operator because under William's teaching he was considered proficient enough to be offered a job in Australia by another Northamptonshire Shoe Firm. The time of his departure was probably in 1896.

In 1899 Ezra had met and married Amy Elizabeth Mudford (1877-1955) and they settled in Victoria. Their daughter, Elsa Amy, was born in 1900 and son Eric Edward in 1905. Over the years Ezra worked his way to the top of the White Shoe Company retiring with the title of Managing Director. During his years in Australia Ezra corresponded with his siblings quite regularly and he made the journey back to see everyone at least once.

For many years the family lived in Harcourt Street, Auburn, Victoria in a house which Ezra had named "Tansley". The name was repeated again when his son Eric's two children were named Robin Tansley Jackson and Merilyn Tansley Jackson. He was an active member of his Masonic Lodge and played golf and bowls at local clubs. He retired from his directorship in 1933. In the early 1930s his health began to fail and he died on February 8th 1934.

Amy Ann Jackson (1881-1967)

Amy Jackson

Amy Jackson

Amy was the youngest daughter of John and Elizabeth born on June 16th 1881. She began work when she was 11 years old in Cottingham factory and worked there even after her marriage for short periods. She worked on what she called 'Sleeve Heading' (putting in shoulder pads to make the garment hang better) and was particularly proud of her ability to do this well. She also would look discreetly at people's coats and suits to see if they were 'headed' to her satisfaction and often took sleeves out of her own coats if she wasn't pleased with the way they had been manufactured and fitted.

Jeffrey Binley

Jeffrey Binley

She married her first cousin Jeffrey Binley in Cottingham on February 21st 1903, the service being witnessed by her brother John and Jeffrey's sister Laura Emily Binley. Jeffrey was the youngest son, born on September 9th 1874, of Jeffrey Binley and Caroline Tansley (Elizabeth Tansley's younger sister). Laura Emily subsequently married her own first cousin, David Tansley in 1915. The newlyweds initially set up home in a row of cottages opposite her parents in Townsend, Ashley Road, Middleton. Their first child, a son Gordon, was born on October 2nd 1909. This was a month before Amy Ann's parents celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary and so it was decided that the baby should be christened on that day. Unfortunately this was prevented by "extremely boisterous" weather as noted in the newspaper write-up at the time.

Cottage in Barrack Yard

Jeffrey Binley standing with Elizabeth Jackson (Amy Ann's mother) outside the cottage in Barrack Yard

Eventually their family grew with three more boys and their cottage became too small to accommodate them all. In the early 1920s they moved into Barrack Yard in Cottingham (for an account of life there see the article "The Barrack Yard Preservation Society" [Article E.]) where their last child, a daughter (my mother) was born in 1923. Amy and Jeff were also mindful of their family when naming their children - John (for father and brothers - one on each side), Eric Edward after Ezra's son and probably 'little Eddie' and Laurance Fred after Nell's son, but who Amy considered as her youngest brother.

By 1936 the family had outgrown their cottage in Barrack Yard and moved into Approach Road (as it was called then) off Rockingham Road. Approach Road was re-named Ripley Road around 1950. These houses were luxurious after the small cramped places they had been used to with an inside bathroom and a large garden where you could keep chickens or a pig and still have room to grow enough vegetables to feed a hungry family. Three of their boys served in the second World War and they all came home without injury but, sadly, John died in 1947 of cancer within a year of being demobilised from the 8th Army. Jeffrey died in the summer of 1948 aged 74, but Amy lived until the autumn of 1967 dying at the age of 86 - an age which none of her siblings ever reached.

Amy Ann and Jeffrey's sons and daughter


Gordon Binley

Gordon Binley

My uncle Gordon married Florence Agnes Smith from Market Harborough in October 1934. Their first child, Kenneth, was born December 31st 1935, coincidentally the same date, but twelve years later, as my mother's birthday. The family moved to Corby where Gordon was hired by Kettering Post Office at Corby sub-district as a postman. They were to have four more children but sadly twin boys born in 1946 only lived a few weeks. Florence died in 1969 and Gordon lived on alone until his own death in 1981.

John Jeffrey

John Jeffrey Binley

John Binley

Second son John Jeffrey was born on May 15th 1911 and had poor eyesight from an early age. He did very well at school and his teachers discussed the possibility of him becoming a teacher himself. John didn't want to do this and became a bricklayer instead, probably preferring to work out of doors. He was still single in 1939, living at home in Approach Road until he was called to arms. John saw a lot of action during the war and between 1941 and 1943 travelled extensively in the Middle East and Africa. He was a sapper in the Eighth Army (the 'desert rats'). He was demobilised in 1946 and it soon became obvious that he was very ill. He died in January 1947 during the bad winter when snow falls were exceptionally high. On the day of his burial the drifts were so severe the funeral procession and mourners had difficulty getting to the churchyard. He was only 36 years old. John's death was a great shock to all the family, especially my grandmother, who felt he should never have been accepted by the armed forces at all due to his poor eyesight. .

Eric Edward

Eric Binley

Eric Binley

Eric Edward, third son of my grandparents was born on July 31st 1915 and was named after his cousin Ezra Jackson's son who had been born ten years earlier. He was a keen tennis player and a cricket enthusiast. He was still single in 1939 also working as a bricklayer. Shortly after he joined the Armed Forces he was assigned to the Pay Corps. He was stationed at Hartlebury in Worcestershire. There was a Royal Air Force base on the same site where his future wife Evelyn Miller worked. They married in Kidderminster in 1944 and their only daughter was born in 1946.

Although the family settled in Stourport-on-Seven, they used to come to Cottingham most years to stay with us, travelling on the train to Rockingham station and then taking a taxi to Cottingham. It was an opportunity for the remaining brothers to meet, go for a pint and generally catch up. In the early 1970s Eric developed memory problems which we now know was Alzheimers Disease and he died in 1976. Sadly he never met his first grandson who was born a year later.

Continued in column 3...

Amy Ann and Jeffrey's sons and daughter (Continued)

Lawrence Fred


Fred Binley (Right) with brother John and sister Olive

Youngest son Lawrence, who was usually known by his second given name Fred, was born on May 18th 1917. (Although in registered and formal documents spelled with a "w" my grandmother was most particular about the spelling of his name and she always intended it to be Laurence and, sure enough, his entries are spelled with a "u" in our family Bible). He was said to be a pure Jackson, mainly because he had brown eyes and dark hair. The Binley side, on the other hand, were both fairer in complexion and in hair colour. He played football for Cottingham but this unfortunately had to stop when he slipped and broke his leg during a game. He always walked with a slight limp thereafter and it was discovered later that his leg had been set badly with one bone slightly overlapping another. Nevertheless he continued to play cricket occasionally.

When war was declared he would have liked to have joined the Navy, but wasn't accepted so continued to work in the steelworks at the welded steel tube mill. He eventually became a shunter, then a Loco driver and finally n driving instructor. His son also worked briefly at the steelworks many years later and people remembered his father who they said had been excellent in his instruction. Life changed for Fred in the 1940s when the daughter of one of my grandparents' neighbours employed a housekeeper and her daughter also moved into the area to work in the ambulance room at the steelworks. Fred and Nancy Quinton married in 1943 and their son was born in December of that year. Initially the family set up home in School Lane in a small cottage but eventually moved into Bancroft Road becoming neighbours first with Reg and Grace Claypole and then Ethel and Sid Jackson. Their daughter was born there in 1950.

Fred, who initially spurned gardening, suddenly took it up and I remember him proudly showing off his green rose. It was a bush rose tree with the usual buds thorns and its flowers were leaf green. He also became a pigeon fancier, built his own loft at the bottom of the garden, and could often be seen rushing off to catch the bus with his pigeon clock in his hands on racing days. He won a few certificates and he and Aunt Nancy attended the Pigeon Fancier's annual dinners. In 1968 he suffered a heart attack and died on 26 September. Although he died early he had the pleasure of knowing three of his four grandsons and Fred would be very proud now to know our family name, and part of our family legacy, will live on through his six great grandsons, two granddaughters, and two great granddaughers.

Olive Amy

Daughter Olive was born on December 31st 1923. When Olive left the village school she began working in the Wallis and Linnell factory in Rockingham Road as a machinist making men's jackets. When the second World War began, many of the men who worked at the steelworks in Corby were called up and so women were required to take their place. As they were recruited from Corby and the surrounding villages, Olive went there too. During this time the face of village was changing with Army personnel being billeted in Bury House. This was owned by Captain Lucas, a veteran of the first World War. For entertainment, dances were held all over the Welland Valley and Olive and her friends spent time making their own frocks and even swapping with each other so that they would not be seen in the same dress too often. They borrowed bicycles to get to neighbouring villages and in the black out would sometimes ended up in minor spills which added to the fun.

At one of these dances my mum met my father, a young Czech soldier, a second lieutenant tank commander, who had literally run away from his country, without telling his family, to cross Europe and join the Free Czech Army. He had eventually been billeted Bury House. They began to see each other regularly and he was invited to join some family meals. In the summer of 1944 the allies were gaining the upper hand and all the soldiers in Cottingham and the surrounding villages were gradually shipped out. I was a war baby and whilst the country were celebrating the end of the war my mother was giving birth to me at 12 Approach Road on May 8th 1945 (VE Day).


Olive Binley

The Author: Cyril Loake

Cyril Loake

My mother went back to work at Wallis and Linnell and my grandparents looked after me. Eventually mum became friendly with Cyril Loake who lived in Church Street and they married in 1956. Cyril moved into Ripley Road with us. He was a charge hand in the marshalling bay at the steelworks. He was an accomplished artist and racconteur and after he retired wrote his memories of people and the village in a notebook. We have been able to reproduce this in a two part article elsewhere in these pages ("Aspects of Cottingham: The Recollections of Cyril Loake" [Article F.]). Cyril died in 1989 and mum then lived on alone.Olive died in 2001 having been perceived as the new matriarch of our family.

Arthur Jackson (1883-1941 )

Arthur Jackson in uniform

Arthur Jackson

Youngest son Arthur was born on February 3rd 1883. Early records suggest that he started his working life as a groom but like his older brothers he was destined for a life in the military. In 1899 he had a three month spell aboard the Royal Navy training vessel HMS Boscowan (Referenced in "The Beverley Brothers" [Article G.] and the circumstances in the Footnote of "A History of the Tilley family: Cottingham Part 2a, the family of James and Martha Tilley" [Article H.]). Then on his 18th birthday he enlisted with the Army for a 12 year commitment.

Arthur Jackson wedding


Arthur found himself in the Army Barracks at Maryhill, Glasgow and there he married Barra Lennie Shearer (also known as Barbara) on April 30th 1909. She was born on Stronsay, Orkney on December 28th 1885. They were to have six childen. He served in the Royal Field Artilley in the first World War and took part in the fateful Gallipoli landings at Suvla Bay in August 1915. At the end of the war he was stationed at Darlington County Durham in the Military Foot Police with the rank of Lance Corporal. When he left the Army he became a customs office, an occupation he maintained for many years. His experiences left such as lasting impression on him that he named his first daughter, born in 1918, Suvla.

Arthur never returned to live in Northamptonshire. By 1930, he had moved to Wellington Lane, Kingston upon Hull. During an influenza epidemic in 1937 Barra caught the disease from which she died. At the start of the second World War Arthur was still living in Wellington Lane on his own. His house was close to the centre of the town. On the night of August 31st and September 1st 1941, this area of Hull sustained heavy bombing by the Luftwaffe. There was considerable damage to local housing including the destruction of 16 air raid shelters. Arthur was amongst 44 civilians killed alongside another 36 injured that night (19, 20).


A family group photograph
Taken about 1923

The children

Our knowledge of the offspring of Arthur and Barra Jackson is to say the least patchy. Frederick David Miller Jackson was born first in 1908. I understand that he married and moved to the Orkneys. Arthur John Tansley Jackson was born next in 1910 and died in 1964.

Alfred Peter Shearer

Alfred Peter Shearer Jackson, son number 3, was born on February 21st 1913 on Stronsay. I know he was called Pat because during the second World War he stayed with his uncle Tom and aunt Caroline at the Royal George. My mother remembered his visit well because he was very impressed when he met his second cousin Midge (Erica Marjorie Hodges). He was a merchant seaman during the war and was awarded a number of medals. After the war in 1946 he met his wife, Betty May Moore in Australia, and they were married the same year. He settled in Australia and once again worked on ships travelling to and from the far east, particularly Singapore. He and Betty had two sons. Pat died on October 15th 1959 during a voyage to Singapore.


The Jackson children
Top: Frederick, Arthur, Alfred; Bottom: Suvla, Anna, Frank.

Suvla Elizabeth Mary Barbara


RMS Chusan (15)

Suvla Elizabeth Mary Barbara Jackson was their first daughter born on December 16th 1917. In 1942 she married Charles Richard Dexter Danby who, I believe was born in China to a military family. They continued to live on Stronsay. Their first son, born on February 5th 1945 sadly died six weeks later on March 15th 1945. Two more sons were born to them in 1947 and 1948. On 14 April 1951 the family departed from Southampton on the P&O line vessel RMS Chusan for Penang where Dick was employed as a civil servant.


Maeshowe (16)

They also visited Australia and I believe they owned a house there which they called Maeshowe. This was named after the Maeshowe Dragon, a symbol carved into stone by Norsemen who invaded in the islands in the 12th century (16). It is not certain that Charles and Suvla ever lived in it, the house now belongs to the boys. They returned to England on the same vessel as their outward journey arriving at Tilbury on 31 May 1954, giving their home address as The Little Manor, Hawkhurst, Kent. Suvla died on December 9th 2003 at Bexhill on Sea.

Anna Brown Shearer

The younger daughter of Arthur and Barra was born on May 17th 1923. During her 20s, Anna took up a post as housekeeper for Ronald George Vickery, a merchant navy seaman. In the summer of 1952 she found herself pregnant and on May 7th 1953 she gave birth to twin girls she named Barbara Anne and Edna Mary. Anna registered their births in the name of Vickery on May 25th 1953. By that time she reported that Ronald had returned to his home address in Wellington, New Zealand. They were never married. Indeed Ronald had married in 1946 and had two children of his own. Anna did marry on the island in Kirkwall about three years later to Robert Sillars on March 18th 1958. Much later, the family moved to the Isle of Arran off the west coast of Scotland where she died in 2005.

Frank Norman

Youngest son, Frank Norman Jackson was born in December 11th 1919 on Stronsay. There is no doubt that he was in action during the second World War and that he was in Poland in 1945 but no definitive service records have been discovered so far. One possibility is that he was captured and was a prisoner of war firstly in Italy and then in Germany. What is certain is that he married in Krakow on February 23rd 1945 (17, 18). His bride was Wanda Zofia Antonia Johanna Lubomirski (also known as Princess Lubomirski) who was probably named after the 8th century Polish princess who saved Krakow from invasion (19). Her mother was Teresa Katarzyna Pauline Elzbieta Radziwill, from the same aristocratic family as the husband of Princess Lee Radziwill (Caroline Bouvier), the younger sister of Jacqueline Kennedy. Wanda had been briefly married before in September 1944 and this was said to have ended in divorce. Correspondence between the Foreign Office and the Polish Ambassador in London after the end of the war documents how three Polish women, including Wanda, had "nominally" married British soldiers to escape the Germans on the understanding that they would start divorce or annulment procedings as soon as they disembarked in England.

Frank's marriage was to be shortlived and also apparently ended in divorce a couple of years later. It is not known the actual mechanism that was applied in their case. This is perhaps not unexpected as it is known that there were marriages of convenience taking place at the end of the war between Polish ladies and Poles who had obtained British nationality to escape from the country. Many of these marriages were very short lived and ended abruply with animosity and hatred. There was considerable confusion about the state of legislation and the validity of marriages which took place in many of the countries in Europe at the end of hostilities and how these would impinge of British law. Several cases have been held as examples of this (20) and, whilst not absolutely comparable to Frank and Wanda, a Court ruling given in 1957 estimated that there were over 3000 Polish couples living in England in the same situation (21).

Wanda went on to marry a third time to Jan Krasinski at the Register Office in Westminster on August 23rd 1949 (the entry in the Westminster Registration District indexes list her under three surnames as Wanda Z Lubomirska, Jackson and Krasinska (22)). At the time Jan was working as a receptionist at the Ritz Hotel in London. Prior to that marriage, Wanda had given birth to two sons which were named Count Christoph Krasinski (on June 14th 1948) and Count Dominik Krasinski (on August 12th 1949), and also changed her name to Krasinski by deed poll. The family then emigrated to the United States where this marriage, too, ended in divorce and she married for a fourth time in Reno, Nevada in December 1965. Wanda died in Key West, Florida aged 60 years on September 14th 1983 (23).

When Frank Norman was demobilised from the Army, he returned home to Scotland. A family recollection recalls that he was in very poor condition both physically (malnourished and with lesions all over his body) and mentally (run down and depressed). He was looked after by his sister Anna and it took her many months to nurse him back to health and fitness. It seems that Wanda did not go with him to Scotland but remained in London by herself. When he was well enough Frank became a van driver. On June 11th 1966 he married Lizzie Scott, a woman born in Nether Scapa, Orkney on June 12th 1913. They were both living in St Ola. Her previous marriage John James Tulloch had also ended in divorce. Frank died at the Balfour Hospital, Kirkwall on April 28th 1971 from congestive cardiac failure and emphysema.


Orkney Headstones: L: Arthur Jackson in Kirkwall; R: Frank and Lilla Jackson on Stronsay: Courtesy of Orkney FHS

Footnote 1

As this project progressed several links to other families in the Welland Valley have been uncovered whose stories are told within the pages of this magazine. Vera Annie Claypole was second cousin twice removed to Thomas and fourth cousin once removed to William Claypole in "The Sorrows of Mary Atkins" [Article D.]. She was also third cousin twice removed to Sarah Anne Claypole whose son was murdered in Cottingham in 1875 "Death for threeha'p'orth of suckers" [Article I.]. Thomas Jackson Moore, the son of Samuel Moore, was second cousin once removed from David Jackson (who married to Harriet). The common link goes through his mother Francis Amy Tanlsey whose parents were Thomas Tansley and Mary Ann Lattimore. Samuel Moore's parents were William Moore and Amy Tansley. Amy and Mary Ann were sisters, daughters of William Tansley and Amy Jackson. In the same area, Oliver Stanger (born in Lyddington, Rutland in 1760) is a distant ancestor of Angela, David Jackson's wife. Oliver Stanger's own wife was Elizabeth Lattimore.(See "Brothers in Arms: The Moores and Walpoles of Geddington" [Article J.] ).

Footnote 2


The Orkney Family History Society has an office in the Orkney Library & Archive, and is usefully located next to the Archives. Our office is staffed by volunteers, and visitors, whether members or not, are assured of a friendly welcome. We produce a magazine 4 times a year which is posted out to our members*, and we maintain a directory of our members and their interests to allow members with similar interests to correspond with each other.

The main objectives of our society are:
1. To establish a local organisation for the study, collection, analysis and sharing of information about individuals and families in Orkney.
2. To establish and maintain links with other family history groups and genealogical societies throughout the UK and overseas.
3. To establish and maintain a library and other reference facilities as an information resource for members and approved subscribers.
4. To promote study projects and special interest working groups to pursue approved assignments.

The Orkney Family History Society

Further Reading


(i) Ezine @rticle
Genealogy - Does Syphilis Play a Part in Your Family Tree

The Pox

(ii) The Pox

i. The article written by Joanna Cake Genealogy - Does Syphilis Play a Part in Your Family Tree" in January 2010 and published in the online journal Ezine@rticles was originally prompted by the episode about the actor Martin Freeman in the BBC Television programme "Who Do You Think You Are?". The programme raised some interesting and startling facts which it is probably true to say that the average person in general and the family historian in particular would know little or nothing about and would wish it to stay that way. Syphilis has been called the great mimic as it can present in so many ways. Its effect on pregnancy and the unborn child can be devastating. It can also appear as a characteristic presentation in a woman's obstetric history - a phenomenon recognised as far back as 1875 and known as Kassowitz's Law (24, 25). Joanna Cake's article is a comprehensive and easy to understand explanation of the condition which, as she points out, "of all the people currently engaged in genealogy searches, at least 10% have a sporting chance of finding syphilis in their family tree".

ii. "The Pox: The Life and Near Death of a very social disease": Kevin Brown, Sutton Publishing Ltd, Stroud Gloucestershire (2006): ISBN: 0-7509-4041-7. In this volume Kevin Brown has compiled an account of the history, the variety of symptoms, the challenges of diagnosis and treatment and the changing social and economical attitudes to one of the most fascinating, terrifying and misunderstood diseases to have inflicted mankind. As indicated above, "10% [of researchers] have a sporting chance of finding syphilis in their family tree" making this book an essential read for the family historian.


The authors would like to express their thanks for the help, comments and suggestions from the following in the construction of this article: Professor Rebecca Probert for her help and advice with Marriage and Family Law; Charlie962 and PRC at The Great War Forum;

Links to the articles mentioned in the text are in italic capitals below:

Article A: My three family ancestry. A Family Photograph Album: The Binleys, Jacksons and Tansleys by Janice Binley
Article B:. Falling foul of the Game Laws The Crane family of Cottingham. Part 1:Victim or Villain?
Article C: Another local family with a shared history The Gretton Craxfords: Exodus II: All sorts of Liquorish.
Article D :. Account of the Claypole family before and after the first World War The Sorrows of Mary Atkins
Article E: The souls between Blind Lane and Corby Road The Barrack Yard Preservation Society.
Article F :. The village before, during and after the second World War Aspects of Cottingham: The Recollections of Cyril Loake
Article G:. Reference to training ship HMS Boscowan The Nessworthys of Tyneside: Chapter 3. The Beverley Brothers
Article H: Tilleys stay and Tilleys leave A History of the Tilley Family: Cottingham Part 2a, the family of James and Martha Tilley.
Article I:. The murder of Thomas Cristopher Claypole Death for threeha'p'orth of suckers
Article J:. Another link to the Tansley and Jackson families Brothers in Arms: The Moores and Walpoles of Geddington



Sections of this article appeared in the February 2020 edition of Footprints; the Journal of the Northamptonshire Family History Society (Vol 42 No 3 pages 8 - 10 and 34 - 38) (26)


1. Family tree graphic: Freeware Graphics: Vintage Kin Design Studio, Australia
2. Hodges, E.A. DCM 1915; UK, Citations of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920 Overseas Forces New Zealand Page 8 at
3. Distinguished Conduct Medal, wikipedia
4. Cases in Court: Evidence for the defence in Ross v Taylor at King's Bench Division. June 2nd 1932: The Stage 8 June 9th 1932. The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
5. Afgar or the Andalusian Leisure, a muscial by Douglas Furber and Charles Cuvillier, wikipedia
6. "Afgar" The Theatre Royal, Bournemouth Monday January 17th 1921 for six nights: Bournemouth Guardian 5 January 15th 1921. The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
7. "Seasons Greetings to All Golfers" Notice to members of the Vaudeville Golfing Society in The Stage 12 January 2nd 1964 The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
8. Seventeenth annual dinner at the Vaudeville Golfing Society, Park Hotel London. The Stage 3 April 2nd 1953 The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
9. St Thomas Church in Agar Town, Camden Hidden London
10. Photograph: Christ Apostolic Church, Kentish Town (was St John the Baptist Church) © Bill Boaden, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
11. Photograph: St Luke's Church, West Holloway © John Salmon, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
12. Photograph: Kettering, Northamptonshire: St Peter & St Paul's Church: © Dave Kelly, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
13. Scottish Built Ships Glen Rosa The History of Shipbuilding in Scotland.
14. Obituary: Ezra Jackson in The Argus, Melbourne Victoria Australia 22 Saturday February 10th 1934
15. P & O vessel RMS Chusan Post card; flickr
16. The Maeshowe Dragon Orkneyjar: The heritage of the Orkney Islands
17. Case of Princess Wanda Lubomirska who married "nominally" a British soldier Reference FO371/47784 1945 The National Archives
18. Wanda Zofia Antonina ks. Lubomirska z Lubomierza h. Druźyna marries Frank Jackson (Confirms his parents' names) Marek Jerzy Minakowski, Wielka genealogia Minakowskiego
19. Daughter of Krakus, Princess Wanda who became queen of the Poles. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
20. : D. Mendes da Costa Journal Article: "The Formalities of Marriage in the Conflict of Laws" : The Internalional and Comparative Law Quarterly 217 - 261 Vol 7 No 2 (April 1958)
21."Court Ruling Affects 3,000 Polish Couples". Court of Appeal Ruling Birmingham Daily Post June 7th 1957 The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
22. Marriages in September 1949 Wanda's marriages indexed Westminster 5c 1030 FreeBMD
23. Person Page 6801 Princess Wanda Lubomirski The Peerage - a genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.
24. Signs and symptoms of Congenital Syphilis wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia
25. Kassowitz's Law in Pathogenesis of Maternal-Fetal Syphilis Revisited Clinical Infectious Diseases Pages 354-363 Volume 33 Issue 3 August 2001 Oxford University Press
26. Footprints: Journal of Northamptonshire Family History Society

Page added: September 16th 2019
Last modified: October 10th 2019

Return to Top of Page

Translate this page:

SSL Certificate

Internet Beacon Diamond Site - 2010

© The Craxford Family Genealogy Magazine and individual copyright holders.
Edited and maintained by Alan D. Craxford 2005 - 2020. All rights reserved. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.
You are not authorized to add this page or any images from this page to (or its subsidiaries) or other fee-paying sites without our express permission and then, if given, only by including our copyright and a URL link to the web site.

Search the Craxford Family Magazine powered by FreeFind
Optimal screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 and above
This page has been designed to display on mobile phone screens
- landscape orientation recommended

Hosted By eUKhost logo UK Web Hosting and

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 10.1.3cx, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2020.