Teal banner: The Craxford Family Magazine Teal Pages

{$text['mgr_teal1']} Cook 1a

What's cooking in Buckinghamshire? Cousins All!

by Alan D Craxford Stuart Cook and Lynn Johnston

Introduction: Rural Buckinghamshire

Other articles within the website which relate to particular aspects of this story are noted within square brackets in the text. Links to these articles can be found in the table towards the bottom of column 3

The common heritage of the three authors dates back to the first quarter of the nineteenth century in the small village of Grandborough, which is in the Vale of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. This should not be confused with a village of the same name about 50 miles to the north west in Warwickshire. There is also some confusion regarding the actual spelling of the name although late Victorian Ordnance Survey maps print it that way. The earliest confirmed Cook ancestor in our line was William, born about 1720 in North Marston, a small village one and a half miles due south of Grandborough. His descendants moved to Grandborough almost a century later. The nearest town is Winslow, two miles to the north; Aylesbury is about ten miles south. Its name, recorded in the Domesday Book as Greneberga, originates in Anglo Saxon meaning "green hill".

Church

St John the Baptist (2)

The Parish Church is dedicated to St John the Baptist and parts have been dated back to the middle of the fourteenth century. The ownership of the village passed to the Crown with the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1547 and remains a Crown possession to this day. It appears that the village name became anglicised as Grandborough around the time of the civil war (3). Parish records were recorded this way for the next two or three centuries. Then around the turn of the last century the letter "d" was dropped from the records (possibly because the name Grandborough was considered too "grand" by the inhabitants). Minutes of a parish council meeting dated September 14th 1920 report "It was proposed and seconded that in view of the practice of the last two vicars in omitting "d" in all church records and registers over a considerable period, the Parish Council unanimously agreed to conform with these spelling errors and delete the letter "d" from Grandborough". A local resident who has lived on a farm in the village for over sixty years remembers the village signs at each end of the village having a vertical weld through them where the letter "D" had been cut out. Nowadays most authorities call the village Granborough, although many references and genealogy sites still cling to Grandborough. Because of the period in which this article is set, we will persist with the old spelling.

Map

Map of Grandborough (about 1885) (4)

The village is shaped as a simple crossroads formed by the juction of King Street (now Winslow Road) and Marston Road running north - south and Church Street and Green End running east - west. The church stands on the corner of Marston Road and Green End. On the Marston Road side was the school; on the Green End side, the post office. There is a public house on King Street called The Crown which started life as a coaching inn in the seventeenth century. A quite striking half timbered village hall, built in 1910, stands in Church Street. The population of the village rose through the first half of the nineteenth century, starting at 230, to a peak of 374 in 1861 before falling back to 297 in 1901.

Buildings

L-R: The Old Dairy (5); The Crown (6); Village Hall (7)

The family of William Cook and Sarah Janes

William Cook was born in North Marston in 1802. He was the oldest of the nine children (seven boys and two girls) of William Cook and Elizabeth White. He was baptised at the Parish Church of St Mary, North Marston on New Year's Day 1803. Nothing is known of his early life but in adulthood he became a shoemaker.

St Mary's

St Mary's, Edlesborough (8)

He married Sarah, the daughter of Joseph Janes and Elizabeth Scrivener, at Edlesborough on August 4th 1823. The village lay on the western edge of the Chiltern Hills a couple of miles south west of Dunstable. Sarah stated in later census returns that she had been born in 1804 at Caddington, a village on the eastern edge of the Chiltern Hills three miles west of Luton and separated from it by the old Roman road and turnpike, Watling Street. However she was baptised in Edlesborough on October 21st 1804. She had a brother, Thomas and two sisters. William and Sarah made their initial home in the hamlet of Northall, 3 miles north west of Edlesborough. Their first two children (a daughter Eliza, 1823 and a son, Ebenezer, 1824) were born there. Both were baptised on August 21st 1825 in Edlesborough. (The village is also known as Eddlesborough in many historical records although there is no similar explanation available for the change in spelling. The Janes family still run a general store in the village [- ED].)

By 1825 the couple had moved to Grandborough and had settled in a cottage on the Marston Road to the south of the village which was to be their home for the next forty years. Over the next fifteen years another eight children followed. To date 60 grandchildren have so far been discovered. William had contact with the law on three known occasions. In April 1841 he gave evidence in the trial of Barnet Lamborn who had been charged with stealing a flintlock pistol. In 1853 John Gilpin stole and sold William's horse. Gilpin was subsequently sentenced to four years penal servitude. Then in December 1858 he was sued by Richard Baldwin for failing to pay money due on a promissory note. William died in the early months of 1863. Sarah lived on in Marston Road for a further decade. She was buried at St John the Baptist on March 19th 1875.

Eliza (1823 - ); Ebenezer (1824 - 1907)

Eliza and her younger brother stayed on in Northall after their parents had moved to Grandborough. In 1841 they were living with 72 year old widow Mary Janes who was presumed to be their great aunt. Eliza probably married in 1857, but nothing further is known of her history. As a young man, Ebenezer found employment as a straw platter before turning to farm labouring. He married Sarah Cheshire in 1852 and they had nine children. He died in Northall in 1907.

Of particular interest to this narrative is John, the fifth son of Ebenezer and Sarah, born in Northall in 1868. He married Elizabeth Helen Bradbury in Edlesborough in 1889 and had three children. By the turn of the century he had moved to Leicester and become a photographer's assistant. In 1911 the family was living in Warwick Street which was just one street away from where his first cousin, Walter, made his home.

Stephen (1825 - 1881); Joseph (1827 - 1881)

Second and third sons Stephen and Joseph were both born in Grandborough. Their families and descendants are the subjects of future sections of this article.

Thomas (1829 - 1874); John (1829 - 1829)

Twin boys, Thomas and John were born in mid March 1829. They were baptised together at St John the Baptist Church on the 22nd of that month. John was never well and died within a month. He was buried on April 15th 1829. Thomas became an agricultural labourer. He met Jane Odell, a girl from Leverstock Green, Hertfordshire, who had been born in 1837. They were married in that village on January 17th 1857. They returned to Grandborough and set up home in King Street. Their first daughter, Amelia was born in 1859. They were joined at the time of the 1861 census by Jane's sister's daughter Mary Odell. Another daughter (Ellen, 1861) and a son (Frederick, 1864) were to follow. Despite her health beginning to fail, Jane became pregnant for the fourth time in 1867. A baby boy they named Thomas was born in early April 1868. Jane's condition progressively deteriorated over the next few months and she died on August 2nd 1868. The cause of death was given as "Phthisis Pulmonalis" (Pulmonary Tuberculosis). Her death was reported by Hannah Higgins. She was buried at St John the Baptist Church on August 5th 1868. The baby Thomas also died that month, said to have been caused by "Tabes Mesenterica" (a severe and progressive wasting disease that was often attributed to drinking milk infected with the tubercle bacillus (9)). His death was reported by Letitia, Jabez Cook's wife and he was buried two days later. Thomas lived on for another six years in King Street. In the late summer of 1874 he was admitted to Aylesbury Infirmary in severe pain and urinary symptoms. He died there on September 15th 1874 from abscesses of the kidneys and bladder calculi (stones). He was buried three days later. He was 45 years old.

Rose Ann (1831 - 1876)

Rose Ann was born almost two years after the birth of the twins and was baptised on November 6th 1831. She married Philip Rickard who was some seven years older than she was on January 17th 1850. He was a shoemaker and cordwainer like her father and after the ceremony they made their home next door to William and Sarah on Marston Road. During the next decade Rose Ann bore Philip four children (Joseph, 1851; Sarah, 1852; Thomas, 1853; Mary Ann, 1860). In 1861 the couple were residing in Green End, a hamlet attached to the eastern edge of Grandborough. Sadly little Mary Ann died on February 25th 1862 from a respiratory tract infection. Her aunt Jane (Thomas Cook's wife) was with the little girl when she died. Rose Ann was already pregnant and another girl was born on December 14th 1862. They named her Mary Ann after her dead sister. Rose Ann had two more sons (Philip, 1864; Caleb 1867) but both little boys died during the winter of 1870. There was one of the several nationwide epidemics of Scarlatina (Scarlet Fever) arising that year (10). Both children were struck down by it. Seven year old Philip died on December 3rd 1870, his death being reported by Matilda Higgins. Little three year old Caleb died just two weeks later.

By 1871, Philip moved his family again, this time to King Street just a few doors away from his brother Thomas. There were at least three families of Higgins who were near neighbours living in King Street during this time frame. Hannah, whose maiden name was Gibberd, was married to Frederick Higgins. Hannah was the aunt of Matilda, the daughter of William Higgins and Ann Evans. William and Frederick, who was one year his junior, were brothers. Both women had entered their occupations as charwomen in suceesive census returns. They also probably took on the unofficial duty as informants of deaths to the Registrar as a service to the village. Rose Ann, herself, had been in poor health for a number of years. She was known to have chronic bronchitis which led on to progressive heart and other organ failures. She died on October 6th 1876 when these conditions were noted as was a 6 month history of "Anasarca" (an extreme and generalised form of oedema - fluid retention - throughout the whole of the body (11)). She was just 44 years of age. Her death was also registered by Hannah Higgins.

Daughter Sarah married farm labourer Thomas Rawlings in 1875. He was born in East Claydon, a village 3 miles west of Grandborough which is where the couple moved after the ceremony. Philip lived on in King Street with his two sons, Joseph and Thomas, and his daughter Mary Ann keeping house for them. Also living with them as a domestic servant in 1881 was Ellen Cook, daughter of Thomas and Jane. He finally died in the first quarter of 1906.

Elizabeth (1834 - After 1911)

Elizabeth, William and Sarah's eighth child, was baptised at St John the Baptist Church on August 3rd 1834. As a teenager she found employment as a lacemaker. At the age of seventeen years, she became pregnant and gave birth to a son she named Stephen. He was registered with the Cook surname. She was in the later stages of another pregnancy when she married Philip Clark on November 9th 1857. A son, John was born that same winter. Almost immediately Philip moved his family to the Marylebone District of London. Their initial home was a flat in a large building in Manning Street which was described as a milk shop. Philip worked there as a labourer. A daughter, Kate, followed in 1960. At the census of 1861, Stephen had become known as a Clark. Two sons (Walter, 1863 and Frederick, 1866) and a daughter (Rose Ann, 1870) followed during that decade. Philip was by this time working as a milkman. Elizabeth was a cheese maker. Elizabeth was to have two more sons (William, 1872 and Harry, 1875).

Tragedy befell the family in 1875 when Philip died. Elizabeth moved her brood into an apartment in a tenement in Carlisle Street. This dwelling housed three families comprising 22 members. Elizabeth had taken up work as a charwoman and son John was working in a stable hand. 18 year old Walter and 16 year old Frederick were out on the street earning money as "shoe blacks". Also in residence was three year old Percy Daines whose relationship with Elizabeth was described as "nurse child". By the end of the next decade Elizabeth had moved about three miles north west to an apartment in another tenement in Hatton Street which housed 22 people split between four families. Elizabeth, now described as a "monthly nurse" (a woman who looks after a new mother and her baby for the postnatal period [-ED]), shared one apartment with five of her children. whilst Walter and his wife Mary Ann lived in the apartment next door. Into her old age, Elizabeth moved to West Kilburn with her son William who had married Ada Maud Allder in 1901. It is not certain when Elizabeth died.

Rachel (1837 - 1916)

Next daughter, Rachel, followed Elizabeth by almost three years. She was baptised on March 12th 1837. In her teens, she too took up the domestic occupation of lacemaking. On July 10th 1854 she married farm labourer Thomas Newman. The Newman family had lived in Green End, close neighbours to both her recently married Joseph and his wife Mary Ann Foskett, and Thomas Foskett, Mary Ann's father. After the wedding Thomas and Rachel settled in to the house in Marston Road with his father, general dealer William Newman. William who had married Ann Rickard in 1827 and lived in Hogshaw Road had previously worked as a higgler (an itinerant merchant who peddled goods in the street). By 1861, Rachel had given birth to three sons (Jabez, 1855; William 1858 and Thomas 1861). The growing family continued to live in Marston Road for the next twenty years. Thomas changed his job and became a rat catcher (described in one census report as a vermin destroyer). In the next ten years Rachel presented Thomas with five daughters (Emma, 1864; Annie, 1867; twins Martha and Mary, 1867; and Rachel, 1869). The last of their eleven children were Caleb (1876), Ruth (1897) and Stephen (1881). Stephen contracted acute bronchitis from which he died at 15 months on July 11th 1882. His death was certified by Sarah Higgins. Gradually the children grew up, married and drifted away. By 1901, Thomas and Rachel had moved back to Green End when only Caleb and Ruth remained at home. Their house was next door to Church of England clergyman Arthur Newman (no relation as he was born in Yeovil, Somerset). Thomas died in early months of 1910. Rachel remained at home with Caleb until she too died in the spring of 1916.

Their first son Jabez started earning with his father as an apprentice rat catcher. He married Rebecca Foskett on August 3rd 1874. Rebecca was Joseph Cook's wife Mary Ann Foskett's first cousin. Joseph was Jabez's uncle. Over the next twenty five years Rebeccae was to become pregnant nine times. Their first daughter was born on June 15th 1876 but suffered immediate convulsions (probably from cerebral anoxia during birth) and died within 18 hours. Two years later, another little girl Rosa was born in June 1878 and was baptised Rosa on July 12th 1878. She lived for six weeks, dying on July 13th and buried the next day. Hannah Higgins was on hand to register her death. The cause of death was given as "inanition" (an archaic term meaning "exhaustion caused by lack of nourishment"). By 1881 Jabez and Rebecca had made their home in King Street in the village where they were on their own. Two boys, both named William, were born in the spring of 1882 and the summer of 1883. Both died within a year. Records are complicated by another couple with a similar surname combination: Thomas Newman and Mary Foskett, married in 1867, who living in Grandborough at the same time. Mary and Rebecca were first cousins.

A daughter was born in 1887. The baptismal entry records her name as Flora Victoria. She died aged 8 months on January 22nd 1888 with her grandmother Rachel by her bedside. The cause of death was again recorded as inanition. She was buried on January 25th 1888; although this time her name entered in the records as Dora. Their next daughter, Daisy, was born and baptised on February 3rd 1889. At the turn of the decade Jabez and Rebecca moved back to Hogshaw Road, sharing a house with Rebecca's mother, Rebecca, who was now a widow. Toddler Daisy died on July 6th 1891 of Phthisis (pulmonary tuberculosis) and was buried on July 8th 1891. During the 1890s, Rebecca gave birth to four more children. A son, named Herbert, was born in February and died at 24 days on March 12th 1893. Once again the cause was given as convulsions. Herbert Jabez Newman was baptised on October 7th 1894. They named their penulimate daughter Daisy on March 24th 1896 and final child, May was born in 1900. Jabez was living in Church Lane with his remaining two sons and youngest daughter. His entry in the 1911 census confirms that he had eight children, four of which died. Rebecca was in London visiting glass warehouseman Frank Bowles and his family. Daisy was away in London working as a housemaid in Walton Place opposite St Saviour's Church. Rebecca died in Grandborough in the early months of 1924. Jabez lived on for another 10 years, finally succumbing in the summer of 1935.

Jabez (1840 - 1917)

St Mary's

St Mary's Church, Aylesbury (12)

The last of William and Sarah's ten children was born in the summer of 1840. He was baptised Jabez on June 20th 1841. As a teenager he began learning his trade as a cordwainer (13) presumably under his father's tutilage. He met a girl who had been born in 1845 in Limerick in Ireland, and the couple were married at St Mary's Church, Aylesbury on July 8th 1861. There is conflicting evidence of the actual name of his bride. The parish records give her name at marriage as Saletta, the daughter of painter Thomas Suffield, now residents of Aylesbury. However, her maiden name is recorded as Schofield on a number of birth registrations and her given name is spelled as Letitia in subsequent census returns.

Their first child, a daughter they named Emily Kate, also presents as a puzzle. She was born on June 6th 1862 and baptised on October 12th the same year. There her records end. She does not appear in the census of 1871. There is no record of her death or burial. A son, William (born in 1865) does appear of the census of 1871 but again no trace of him has been found since. Another daughter, Alice Bridget (1869) followed in that same decade.

Winslow Church

St Laurence Church, Winslow (14)

The census of 1871 found them in residence in Marston Road. William's widowed mother Sarah had joined them. In adjoining houses were two branches of the Foskett family and one of the Newman family, whilst about ten doors away lived Jabez's sister Rachel and her husband Thomas Newman. A third daughter, Sarah Kate Cook, was born in the village in 1875 (although her mother's maiden name is entered as Goldfield in the General Register Office index). She died at the age of 14 years of "consumption" (pulmonary tuberculosis) on July 10th 1890. She had been a pupil at the Winslow Church Sunday School and at her funeral on Tuesday July 15th members of her class followed in procession dressed in white and carrying wreathes.

Jabez Cook's daughter: Ruth Jane (1883 - 1972)

Their final daughter, Ruth Jane was reportedly born in Limerick, Ireland in 1883. By 1891 Jabez and Letitia had moved to Tinkers End, Winslow and the seven year old was the only remaining child living with them. Letitia died in Winslow on September 7th 1896. Jabez remained at Tinkers End on his own at the turn of the century. Daughter Ruth obtained a job as a housemaid for widow Charlotte Rose in Ebury Street, Hanover Square, London. Ruth did however return to look after her father before the start of the first world war. Jabez died in Winslow in the summer of 1917.

St Michael

St Michael's Church (15)

Ruth married at St Michael's Church in Camberley, London on July 24th 1917. Even here, her future family name is complex. The banns were read in the Church of St Ethelburga, Bishopsgate and in St Botolph's, Alsgate (said to be Ruth's parish). Her spouse was recorded as Godfrey Miller Smith. Their first son was born on October 17th 1918 and registered as Douglas Godfrey Gordon McLeod Miller. By 1939 Ruth was living with her son (now a bakery salesman) in Bersted Street, Bognor Regis. Her husband, Geoffrey, died in August 1960. Ruth lived until the spring of 1972. She died in Chichester on April 19th 1972 and was buried in the cemetery at Bognor Regis on April 27th 1972. When Douglas married Margaret Parslow in Chichester in 1957 his surname had transitioned to the hyphenated McLeod-Miller.

Continued in column 2...

The family of Stephen Cook and [A] Elizabeth Neal

Stephen Cook, the second of the sons of William Cook and Sarah Janes was born in Grandborough and baptised at the Church of St John the Baptist on September 11th 1825. As soon as he was old enough he started learning the trade as a cordwainer. On August 21st 1848, he married 18 year old Elizabeth Neal. She was the daughter of Joseph Neal who kept the Red Lion Inn in Church Street and his wife Mary Travell. Elizabeth was pregnant at the time of the wedding and a son they named Joseph Stephen Neal Cook was born at the turn of the year.

LG Map

Map of Leverstock Green (about 1885) (16)

Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity (17)

Almost immediately Stephen moved his new family away from the village and by 1851 they had settled about 30 miles to the south east in Leverstock Green, a village on the edge of Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire. Stephen set up his business as a shoemaker with Elizabeth working with him as a shoe binder. A son, Walter Steven, followed in 1852, born in Abbots Langley: a village 3½ miles due south between Kings Langley and Watford. Walter and his older brother Joseph were baptised together at Holy Trinity Church in Leverstock Green on November 13th 1853. This was a family affair as baptised at the same time were four year old Mary Ann and 12 month old William, the children of Stephen's uncle, Vincent and his wife Isabella Scrivener. Vincent, William Cook's younger brother by eight years, was also a shoemaker. He had left Grandborough much earlier in the 1830s, marrying in St Albans and setting up home in Leverstock Green by 1841. He died in the village on April 21st 1857. Isabella married again, to Gardner John Fleckney. They moved to Church Street, Hemel Hempstead, taking her two dchildren with her.

Stephen's next son, George William, was born the following year and baptised on April 9th 1854. A fourth son, Thomas, was born in January and baptised on August 10th 1856. He was never well and died on October 19th 1856: the cause of death was entered as "Atrophy". He was buried on October 25th that year. Their son Joseph also died in 1856. Elizabeth became pregnant for the fifth time at the beginning of 1857. A birth note in a local paper announced that she had given birth to a daughter on September 17th at the village of Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire (18). (It is not known why the birth should have taken place here. Long Crendon is 30 miles west of Leverstock Green and 15 miles south of Grandborough. To date no other family link to this village has been found). All did not end well however. The little girl they named Ellen died in the early months of 1859, shortly after she had been baptised on January 7th. The cause of death was listed as acute eczema. (Acute eczema can be associated with infections of the skin. A particularly rare but serious form is called Eczema herpeticum, caused by a herpes virus, which causes a painful blistering rash. It can prove fatal. [- Ed]) She was buried on February 16th 1859.

Elizabeth's health had been failiing slowly for several years. However she became pregnant again soon after little Ellen died. Another son, a boy, was born between Christmas and New Year 1859. Elizabeth never recovered from the delivery and she died on January 9th 1860. Her general practitioner recorded death from Phthisis (pulmonary tuberculosis which had been present for two years). The little boy was subject to a private baptism on February 8th 1860 and given the name Joseph. He died on February 12th 1860 from persistent diarrhoea. There is no record of this second Joseph's birth in the indexes. However it seems more than likely that with the death of his wife almost immediately after giving birth, the need to arrange an urgent baptism and the child's subsequent death, and as birth registrations did not become compulsory until 1874, such an action would have been the last thing on his mind.

In 1861 Stephen had added beer seller to his trades and had taken over a public house in Leverstock Green. He had with him his two younger sons. Helping out as housekeeper was Elizabeth's mother, Mary, who had brought Elizabeth's 18 year old apprentice brother, John, with her.

Walter Stephen (1852 - 1921)

Walter Cook married Sarah the daughter of agricultural labourer William Martin and straw hat maker Mary Ann Seabrook, in Leverstock Green on April 13th 1874. After the ceremony they moved into her parents' home in Bunkers Lane, Abbots Langley. William continued to ply his trade as a shoe maker. By the turn of the decade they had two children: Herbert George born in 1877 and Jessie Marion on December 19th 1878. Soon after, they moved back to Leverstock Green. In April 1878, his father Stephen was summoned by the Rural Sanitary Authority for keeping pigs in unsanitary conditions and causing objectionable smells to his neighbours. Walter appeared in Court in June 1878 to represent his father. The bench ordered that the nuisance should be properly controlled and he was ordered to pay the medical officer's fees of £ 1 1s.

At the turn of the century they were occupying a house next door to the vicarage and next door but one to the Red Lion Inn. Herbert and Jesse had both left home by the end of March 1911. Walter and Sarah still shared the same house but his entry in the census of April that year tells a tragic hidden aspect of their story. As well as the two children who were still living, Sarah had given birth to three others who died in infancy. Leonard Walter, who was their first son, was born in June and died of "diarrhoea and exhaustion" on August 11th 1874. A son, Horace Joseph, was born in January 1884 and died on August 18th 1884 with the same diagnosis as his older brother. His death was registered by his grandmother Mary Ann Martin. Their final son Valentine William was born in March and died on April 6th 1896. This was attributed to malnutrition. His mother Sarah recorded his death.

Paper Mill

Frogmore Mill, Apsley (19)

By the time he was fourteen, Herbert George was labouring at the local Frogmore Mills, which was part of the British Paper Company, and which was situated in Apsley on the south west edge of Hemel Hempstead and about three miles from Leverstock Green. By the turn of the century he had been promoted to foreman. Herbert George Cook married Florence Annie Bedford at Holy Trinity Church on November 10th 1909. The couple moved to a house in Apsley near to the mills after their marriage and Herbert continued his job as a factory foreman.

Walter John Pitts, who was managing director of the Trews Weir Paper Mills in Exeter had also been associated with the Frogmore Mills for about 16 years. Walter John married Herbert George's sister, Jessie Marion Cook, at Holy Trinity Church on April 27th 1907. The couple spent their honeymoon in Devon and then set up home at the Pitts family home at Trews Weir House in Exeter. They had two children (John born on April 7th 1913 who would follow his father into the family paper business, and Rachel born on August 12th 1915). Walter John Pitts died in Exeter on October 6th 1939. Jessie survived him for barely six months, dying on April 3rd 1940.

Trews Mill

Two view of Trews Mill, Exeter (20, 21)
LEFT: Front prior to demolition; RIGHT: Main building with Trews Weir House beyond

Walter Stephen Cook died on April 29th 1921. Sarah survived him by eight years.

George William (1854 - 1933)

George Cook

George Cook

George, the middle child of Stephen Cook and Elizabeth Neal, was born on January 7th 1854. He was six years old when his mother died. He stayed with him when his father married again. George married in 1883 and settled in Kings Langley where he became a wheelwright. He had five children. His ongoing story will be told in the second half of this saga "What's cooking in Hertfordshire? George" [Article C.]


The family of Stephen Cook and [B] Hannah Theed

It seems likely that by 1861 Stephen Cook had already met the woman who was to become his second wife. Hannah was two years younger than Elizabeth. She had been born in the Boxmoor district of Hemel Hempstead, the daughter of John and Lydia Theed. As a teenager she had found work in Hemel Hempstead as a kitchen maid. At the time of the census taken in April 7th 1861, she was employed as a cook by widow Ann Hey in Chambsbury Lane, Leverstock Green about 100 yards away from Stephen's premises. The couple were married in the village on October 17th the same year. Hannah presented Stephen with a daughter, Emily, in the spring of 1864 who was baptised on August 16th, but the little girl died on January 9th 1865. The cause of death was written as "irritation of the brain; convulsions". Whether this was the lasting result of a birth injury or whether she had suffered from a childhoood infection is not known. The couple had two more children: William born in the spring and baptised on May 13th 1866; and Amy Margaret, born in the autumn and baptised on December 10th 1871. Three children remained at home with them in 1881: George now a wheelwright; William, a brickmaker and Amy, still at school. Stephen's health had been deteriorating for some time. He died in the village on July 20th 1881. The cause of death was recorded as cerebral disease and paralysis (probably indicating a stroke). His son Walter Stephen recorded his death.

After his death, Hannah moved to St John's Road Hemel Hempstead taking Amy with her. She earned some income taking in washing with Amy to help her. They also took in 28 year old gardener John Jarmyn as a lodger and domestic servant. Amy left home to marry William Hoar on April 4th 1896. Hannah lived on by herself in St John's Road until her death in the winter of 1925.


The family of Joseph Cook and Mary Ann Foskett

Joseph Cook was the third son of William and Sarah, born in 1827 two years after his brother Stephen. He was baptised on July 8th 1827 and grew up in the cottage on Marston Road. On July 9th 1849 Joseph married Mary Ann, the daughter of Thomas Foskett and Faith Harrap, at the Church of St John the Baptist. The spelling of the family's name can cause confusion as it appears variously in the records with both a single and a double "t", as Foscott and Foxcott. The marriage was witnessed by Joseph's sister Rose Ann and Philip Rickard who was soon to become her husband. The Cook, Foskett and Rickard families had lived in close proximity for several generations and the couple settled into a cottage in Green End two doors away from Mary Ann's parents and three younger siblings. Lodging with Joseph and Mary Ann at the time of the 1851 census were John Stairs and his new wife Sarah Ann Rickard (first cousin of the aforementioned Philip) and infant son Frederick. Further, when Joseph's younger sister Rachel married Thomas Newman in 1854 her new mother in law was Ann Rickard, aunt to both Philip and Sarah Ann Rickard. In Green End, the men were all employed locally in the fields whilst their womenfolk worked in the cottage industry of lacemaking.

Lace

Lacemaking (22)

During the next ten years, Mary Ann underwent six pregnancies but only four of the children were still alive in 1861. First born was daughter Caroline Ann who was baptised on Febrary 18th 1850. She contracted whooping cough around Christmas that year and died after three weeks on January 15th 1851. Her aunt Elizabeth Foskett (Mary Ann's sister) reported her death. She was buried at St John the Baptist Church three days later. A son, George was born on March 8th 1856. It was obvious that the infant was not long for this world and an urgent baptism was carried out the same day. He died after 12 hours. Aunt Elizabeth Cook (Joseph's sister) recorded the death. The death certificate reads "weakly since birth". He was buried on March 13th 1856. In the early 1860s Joseph, still an agricultural labourer had moved the family to a house on the corner of Church Street and King Street, next door but one to Edward Dancer's grocery shop. At home were eight year old daughter Rose Ann and sons Walter (seven years), George (four years) and infant Levi. It is of note that the area including his own house and those of his two neighbours were subject to a sale by auction on two occasions in July 1863 and in October 1870. On the second occasion the tenants were all placed under notice to quit.

The next decade saw its own share of tragedy for Joseph and his family. Mary Ann gave birth to two more sons, Vincent, in 1862 and David in 1866 and a daughter, Elizabeth in 1864. She then became pregnant for the tenth time at the beginning of 1868. Mary Ann went into labour prematurely on November 20th 1868 delivering a baby boy. The birth was complicated by a torrential and uncontrollable haemorrhage which proved fatal. The baby was baptised Nathan the same day but the mite died within 24 hours. They were buried together on November 24th 1868. Joseph continued to live in Green End through the subsequent years as his offspring left home to follow their own paths. As he grew older his physical and mental health slowly deteriorated as he developed dementia. On November 4th 1880 he was admitted to the County Pauper Lunatic Asylum in Stone near Aylesbury. He died there on January 23rd 1881 and was buried at St John the Baptist Church on January 30th 1881. The formal diagnosis was "softening of the brain"

Asylum

Stone Asylum (23)

Rose Ann (1852 - 1937)

Joseph and Mary Ann's daughter, Rose Ann, was named, no doubt, in honour of his own younger sister who had married two years earlier. The little girl was baptised on August 16th 1852. As soon as she was old enough she joined in the family craft of lacemaking. On October 22nd 1872 at the age of 20 years she married Charles William Newman, a first cousin of Thomas Newman who had married Rose Ann's aunt, Rachel Cook. Charles was the sixth of ten known children of Edward Newman and Jane Sear. Their oldest daughter, Sarah, had an illegitimate son which she christened Frederick Thomas on December 11th 1864 and who was living with his grandparents at the time of the next census.

Plough Boy

The Plough Boy (24)

Charles had started work as a plough boy on a farm but had progressed to becoming a groom and gardener. During the next ten years they had four children (Albert Henry, born 1873; Louisa Jane, 1874; George, 1877 and Lucy Ann, 1879). In 1881 the family were living in Marston Road, next door to Charles' now widower father, Edward Newman. Living with them were Charles' younger brother Lewis Newman and Rose Ann's fifteen year old brother, David (presumably following the death of their father that January).

The family were still resident in Marston Road at the 1891 census (although it had been called Marston Lane). Two doors away, next door to the vicarage, lived Thomas and Rachel Newman with their family. One note of family sadness occurred about this time. Thomas and Rachel's second son, William had married Elizabeth Jane Stairs in 1874. The couple had named their first born son Charles William. The family were now living in King Street where Charles WIlliam died on April 26th 1892. He was 17 years old.

Charles and Rose Ann had added three more children (Stephen, 1881; Mary Kate, 1884 and Arthur John, 1889). Stephen died within the year and was buried on July 15th 1882. Charles continued working as an agricultural labourer. Oldest son, Albert Henry moved to London to become a railway worker. He married Amy Allen in Fulham in 1893. Oldest daughter Louisa Jane married George Mealing, a railway carriage inspector from Didcot in Berkshire. The couple moved to Milford Haven in South Wales. Two final daughters appeared: Florence May (1895) and Elsie Edna (1897). Charles was elected to the Grandborough Parish Councillor at the annual parish meeting which was held in the schoolroom on Monday 20th April 1896 (25). Their son 21 year old son George died on September 23rd 1898 from meningitis.

In 1901, Charles and Rose Ann's next door but one neighbour in Marston Road was 31 year old Harriet Cook with her three young daughters. As Elizabeth Harriet King from Maids Moreton she had married Frederick, the son of Thomas Cook and Jane Odell, in 1891. Sadly, their new born son Jesse died in April 1897 and Frederick died on June 12th the following year. He was 38 years old. By 1911, Harriet's two older teenage daughters, Rachel and Rose, had gone into domestic service. Harriet moved back to Maids Moreton with her youngest daughter, Freda.

Charles was called to give evidence at the fatal accident inquest which was held upon his eldest brother, John, on May 18th 1904. 67 year old John Newman was travelling from his home in Winslow to gravel pits near Thornborough when he was thrown from his cart. He struck his head which caused a brain haemorrhage from which he died (26). In 1911, their three youngest children remained at home with them. Also in residence was George Edward Charles, the 13 year old son of Albert Henry and Amy Cook. In their nineteen years of marriage Albert and Amy had produced eight children including twin boys born in 1908.

Charles William Newman lived on in Grandborough until May 1st 1931 when he died at the age of 82 years. Rose Ann survived him by almost 6 years before she died in the early spring of 1937. She was 85 years old.

There was probable cause for celebration in the village one spring day in 1906. Sisters Lucy Ann and Mary Kate were married at a combined service at St John the Baptist Church. Lucy Ann married Charles Haines, a railway carriage examiner. Their first house together was in the Queens Park district of London. They had one daughter born in Paddington in 1917. The family subsequently moved to Ludlow in Shropshire where Lucy Ann died on September 22nd 1936. Charles outlived her for 28 years, also dying in Ludlow on November 9th 1964.

Mary Kate Newman married Albert John Smith, a blacksmith from North Marston. After the service they went to live in Aylesbury where they had a son they named Percy Albert Arthur on August 4th the following year. Sadly Albert died in the winter of 1913. He was taken ill during that autumn which what was diagnosed as acute lymphatic leukaemia. He was admitted to the Royal Buckinghamshire Hospital where he died on December 12th 1913. Rose Ann Newman was in attendance when he died. As well as the leukaemia which had been present for two months, he was also noted to have developed "grangrene of the face" over the last fourteen days.

Mary Kate lived on in Aylesbury with her son during the years of the first World War. However, she was to marry again, to Albert Norman of Winslow, in 1920. The couple settled in Verney Road, Winslow where Albert was a dairyman. They had a son, named Alan Albert in 1922. Mary Kate died in the village in 1946. Percy, Mary's son from her first marriage, married Florence Smith in Watford in 1930. The couple returned to Grandborough where he became a farm labourer. They settled in the old Newman family home in Marston Road.

Continued in column 3...

The family of Joseph Cook and Mary Ann Foskett (continued)

Walter (1854 - 1921)

Walter Cook

Walter Cook

Oldest of the sons of Joseph and Mary Ann Cook, Walter, was baptised on April 16th 1854. In his early teens he started working on the land. He was the first to leave home. By 1871 he had found employment as a cowman for 61 year old John Sparrow who farmed 164 acres with a staff of three labourers and three boys in Oxhey near Watford. He subsequently moved on to Leicester where he married and started a family. His future progress is recounted in the articles "Too many Cooks ... spoil the brats?" [Article A.] and "A Cook's tour of my family" [Article B.].

George (1857 - 1934)

St Nicholas

St Nicholas, Cublington (27)

George Cook was born on April 8th 1857 about a year after Mary Ann's previous child was born, baptised and died in March 1856. He was given the same name as the dead infant at his baptism on May 10th 1857. In his teenage years he became a farm labourer but in the late 1870s he moved to Watford where he became a railway porter. He married Elizabeth, the daughter of agricultural labourer Cornelius Green and his wife Mary Ann Copperwheat, on June 7th 1879 in St Nicholas Church, Cublington, a village roughly midway between Grandborough and Watford. They set up home in Sotherton Road, not far from Watford Junction Railway Station. Almost immediately Elizabeth became pregnant and a daughter, Kate, was delivered on October 8th 1880. The little girl was baptised on January 9th 1881. At the time of the 1881 census, George Green, Elizabeth's younger brother was lodging with them (28).

St Mary's

St Mary's, Watford (29)

Tragedy was to follow over the next few years. Firstly a son, Walter George, was born on September 1st 1882. He was baptised at St Mary's Church, Watford on September 22nd 1882 but died before the end of the year. Two autumns later, a second son was born and baptised George William on November 21st 1884. He died on March 5th 1886 from meningitis, barely eighteen months old. At the turn of the decade, George and Elizabeth were giving lodging to 18 year old Albert Henry Newman, son of Charles Newman and George's nephew.

At the turn of the century, George moved the family around the corner to a house in Queen's Road. He was now a bus driver for the London & North Western Railway Company. Daughter Kate married gas fitter Frank Mealing in Watford in the summer of 1905. Frank was the younger brother of George Mealing who married Louisa Jane Newman, Kate's first cousin. They set up home in Neville Grove, about a mile to the north. Kate was to have a daughter and four sons. By 1911 George and Elizabeth were settled at what was to be their permanent address at 154 Queen's Road, Watford. In 1911 they were playing host to Harry Burton, a 23 year old brewer's labourer and cellarman, and Harry Clarke who worked as a bricklayer for the railway.

Workhouse

Watford Union Workhnouse (30)

Elizabeth died on February 16th 1932 at the Peace Memorial Hospital in Watford. George was taken ill towards the end of 1934 and was admitted to the Watford Union Workhouse in Vicarage Road. He died there on Christmas Day 1934. Of note by the time of the 1939 Register, Kate and her son Edward had moved into the family home in Queens Road. Frank died there in 1950. Kate lived on in Queens Road until she was admitted to the same institution, now renasmed Shrodells Hospital (after which it became part of Watford General Hospital) where she died on September 17th 1958

Levi (1859 - 1928)

Details of the life of Levi Cook are to say the least sketchy. He was probably born in the late months of 1859 and his birth registered in the first quarter of 1860. As soon as he was able he started working in the fields.

Ticket

Railway ticket

By 1881 he had moved to East Claydon, a hamlet about 3 miles east of Grandborough and was living as a farm servant for the family of 62 year of Benjamin Parrott. Benjamin farmed 300 acres, employing 10 men and 3 boys. The household next door belonged to James Cook, Levi's second cousin once removed, who was the station master of Grandborough Road station just north of North Marston. At the time this was on a branch line of the Great Western Railway serving Aylesbury and Buckingham. It was absorbed into the Metropolitan Railway in 1901 (31).

Station 1
Station 2

Grandborough Road Station: outside and track views

On December 8th 1888 in Grandborough, Levi married Alice, the daughter of John Williams, a gun maker from Birmingham. The marriage was witnessed by his younger brother, David, and future bride Mary Ann Smith. They settled in Marston Road, on the other side of the post office and the vicarage from Thomas Newman and Rachel Cook (Levi's aunt) and a few doors away from Charles William Newman and Levi's sister Rose Ann. Alice became pregnant in the autumn of 1891 and gave birth to a boy they registered as Walter Joseph in March 1892. The child was sickly from birth and did not survive long. He died on June 15th 1992 aged 3 months: the diagnosis recorded as "General debility from birth". He was buried on June 17th 1892. There is no evidence of any further children for this couple.

The census of 1901 shows the Levi and Alice together in a house in King Street. He continued to work as a farm labourer. This is the last occasion that the couple appear together in the records. In 1911, Alice was still in Grandborough, staying with widow Esther Alden. Levi (his surname entered as Cooke) had moved away to the village of Shuckburgh near Daventry in Warwickshire. He was working for grazier Edgar Brazier, listed as a farm labourer and servant. In the 1920s he had moved to the Thorn Yard area of Long Itchington, a village six miles due east of Leamington Spa. Levi died there on Boxing Day and was buried in Daventry on December 19th 1928 (32).

Alice's later life is not certain. The most likely scenario is that by 1939 and a widow she became a resident in the Alms House on Church End Wavendon on the outskirts of Milton Keynes, The Register of that year gives her date of birth as September 17th 1859. An Alice Cook died in the North Bucks Registration District which includes both Milton Keynes and Winslow in the fourth quarter of 1940 at the age of 81 years.

Vincent (1862 - 1941)

Vincent Cook

Vincent Cook

Vincent was born in Grandborough in May 1862, the seventh child of Joseph and Mary Ann Cook. He moved away from the village to Watford where he married Eliza Stacey in 1887. They were to have seven children. Vincent ultimately became a labourer on the railway. His further story will be recounted in the second half of this saga "What's cooking in Hertfordshire? Vincent" [Article D.]

Elizabeth (1865 - 1937)

St Mary

St Mary the Virgin, Norwood (33)

Born in 1865 and baptised on February 12th of that year, Elizabeth was the third and last of the daughters. As a fifteen year old she had moved to London, entering domestic service under dressmaker Harriet Bishop in Southwick Road Paddington. Her single status did not last long. On Christmas Day 1883 she married road labourer Edward George in a ceremony at St Mary the Virgin's Church in Norwood. Within a year, Elizabeth had given birth to a daughter they baptised Ethel May at St John's Church Southall. The family's first home was in Pluckington Place in Norwood but by the turn of the century had moved to Pinner Cottages on Kingston Road in the town. This became their permanent home although Edward died in the autumn of 1905. To make ends meet, Elizabeth, aided by Ethel, took in washing. Elizabeth lived on until her death in July 1937. She was buried in section K plot 25 of the Havelock Norwood Cemetery in Southall on July 29th 1937.

Ethel May George had met Francis Moritz, a sorter at the General Post Office, when they were near neighbours on Kingston Road. They were married in Norwood in 1919. By the early 1920s they were living with Elizabeth at Pinner Cottages. Ethel had a daughter, Marjorie Ethel, in 1922. Francis died in the town in 1930, leaving Ethel and Marjorie together at the outbreak of the second World War. Ethel was admitted to Hillingdon Hospital where she died on August 24th 1940. In her will which was proved on December 6th 1940, administration was granted to retired railway clerk Henry Edwin Percy who was Francis' brother. This grant of administration was changed on December 6th 1943 in favour of Marjorie Ethel, presumably to reflect her reaching 21 years of age.

David (1866 - 1952)

David, the last of Joseph and Mary Ann Cook's children to survive into adulthood, was born on November 9th 1866. His childhood was blighted by the death of both of his parents. He was just two years old when her mother and baby died in 1868. During the 1870s, his older siblings moved away from the family home. When his father Joseph was taken in to the Union Workhouse and died in 1881, the fourteen year old went to live with his sister Rose Ann Newman and her family in Marston Road. He started doing odd jobs around the farm to help out. David appears to be absent from the census of 1891 but in the first quarter of that year he married Mary Ann Smith in the Amersham District of Buckinghamshire. Mary, who was born on January 4th 1867, declared in a later census that she came from Botley, a hamlet near Chesham, about 4 miles north of Amersham. By 1901 they had settled into 7 Railway Cottages on St Albans Road Watford which was to become the family home for the next half century and David became a railway carriage cleaner.

Cemetery

North Watford Cemetery (34)

The couple were to have four children: two girls (Daisy Mary, born 1891 and Dorothy May, born 1903) and two boys (Walter Edward Henry, born 1896 and Harold Baden born 1901). David moved through various functions with the London Midland Railway Company including an examiner of electrics and examiner of wheels and brakes. He had retired before the outbreak of the second World War. David died at home without leaving a will in the spring of 1952. Mary Ann died three years later on February 4th 1955 at Railway Cottages. Probate of her will was granted to her son Walter. She was buried alongside her husband in plot B CON 80 at the North Watford Cemetery.

Badge 1

Royal Welsh Fusiliers cap badge

Badge 2

Bedfordshire Regiment cap badge

Older daughter Daisy Mary was born on October 13th and baptised at St Mary's Church, Watford on November 6th 1891. As a 20 year old she was working as a chocolate dipper at a confectionary manufacturer. She married Joseph Benjamin Horn in Watford in the autumn of 1915. Joseph, the son of Henry and Harriet Horn, was born in Bushey, Hertfordshire in 1891. In early 1911, he was working as a hall boy at a local hotel. However he was destined for career, albeit short, in the Army. There is evidence that he enlisted with the 4th Batallion Royal Welsh Fusiliers (as Private 10775) in September 1911. After the outbreak of the first World War he enlisted with the Bedfordshire Regiment (Private 26123). He served on the Western Front during 1916 and was transferred to the Labour Corps (as Private 601246). During this time, Daisy moved back with her parents.

Vicarage Road

Vicarage Road Cemetery (36)

Joseph's further service remains something of a mystery as he died at home in Railway Cottages on November 11th 1918 (Armistice Day). He was buried at Vicarage Road Cemetery and is commemorated by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission whose records show his to be a private grave and headstone. Daisy Mary received a war credit in 1919 of £ 23.4.3d which included a War Gratuity of £16. She never remarried and had no children. She was still with her parents in 1939 when she was working as a milling machinist. As the Welfare State unfolded it was noted that she became entitled to Post War Credits. Ultimately she moved into Cromer Street, Watford, next door to her married sister Dorothy May and her husband. She died there on February 15th 1977.

David and Mary's other three children all lived their lives in Watford. Walter was baptised on September 1896. He became as instrument maker for the car and then the aircraft industry. He married Hilda Lilian Messenger in 1923 and lived in Parkgate Road until his death on November 10th 1974. Harold was born on June 18th 1901. He remained with his parents until he married Constance Murial Rogers in 1932. The couple settled in Garfield Street in the town. He worked as a brewer's labourer and was an ARP Warden during the second World War. He died in 1989. Dorothy May was born on May 4th 1903. She married Sidney Donald Hendry, a railway storekeeper in 1929. Their permanent home was in Cromer Road where she died on Christmas Eve 1988.


Acknowledgements

We would like to thank Robert Kemp for confirming for us some details of the history of Grandborough and Catherine Hayden, Church Warden, Eaton Bray and the Friends of St Mary's, The Church On The Hill for similar details about Edlesborough. The authors would also like to express their thanks for the help, comments and suggestions from the following in the construction of this article: Helpjpl, RussT and Ss002d6252 at The Great War Forum; Contributors to the Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire Forums (including Comberton and LadyDi) at RootsChat.Com.


Links to the articles mentioned in the text are in italic capitals below:

Article A: The original Winslow Boy Too many cooks ... spoil the brats?.
Article B: A personal memory of Walter Cook A Cook's tour of my family.
Article C: George in Kings Langley What's cooking in Hertfordshire? Cousins All! (Part 2b George).
Article D: Vincent in Watford What's cooking in Hertfordshire? Cousins All! (Part 2a Vincent).


References

1. Family tree graphic: Freeware Graphics: Vintage Kin Design Studio, Australia
2. St John the Baptist Church, Grandborough: The Churches of Great Britain and Ireland. (c) David Regan.
3. The spelling of the name Granborough in The Parish of Granborough, Bucks II Notes on Reformation Times and After Pages 137 - 141 Records of Buckinghamshire Vol XII No.3. 1929. Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society
4.Grandborough, Buckinghamshire. From: Detailed Old Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1 mile Old Map (1888-1913) ARCHI MAPS: Great Britain
5. Photograph: The Old Diary, Winslow Road, Granborough © Roger Templeman, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
6.Photograph: The Crown, Winslow Road, Granborough © Roger Templeman, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
7. Photograph: Village Hall About The Hall at Granborough, Our Village
8. Photograph of St Mary's Church, Edlesborough from an old postcard about 1908 from Old UK Photos
9. Tabes Mesenteria" in The Hospital Page 304 February 1st 1902
10. Mitchell, Dr. A.: Weather and Epidemics of Scarlet Fever in London during the past thirty-five years Abstract of paper presented at the general meeting of the Scottish Meteorological Society on July 13th 1875 and reprinted in Nature Page 321 August 19th 1875
11. What is Anasarca? in Healthline
12. Lithograph of St Mary's Church, Aylesbury Pre 1869: Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Public Domain
13. What is a cordwainer? in The Honourable Cordwainers Company.
14. Photograph (1863) of St Laurence Church, Winslow in Winslow History
15. Photograph: St Michael's Church, Camberley © Len Williams, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
16. Leverstock Green, Hertfordshire. From: Detailed Old Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1 mile Old Map (1888-1913) ARCHI MAPS: Great Britain
17.Photograph: Leverstock Green, Holy Trinity Church © Nigel Cox, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
18. COOK - Birth Announcements in Births, Marriages and Deaths: October 10th 1857 Page 8 The Bucks Herald The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
19. Photograph: The Paper Mill © John, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
20. The history of Trews Weir Mill, Exeter Memories
21. Photograph: Former mill at Trew's Weir © Derek Harper, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
22. Lithograph: Lacemakers, a cottage industry - "By the Poor, for the Rich: Lace In Context"
23. Photograph of Stone Asylum, Near Aylesbury from an old postcard Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository. Public Domain
24. Photograph: The Plough Boy in Childhood, John Bugden, Convict and Pioneer
25. Grandborough Parish Council: April 25th 1896 Page 8 Buckingham Advertiser and Free Press The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
26. Fatal Accident Inquest - Winslow: May 21st 1904 Page 8 Buckingham Advertiser and Free Press The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
27. Photograph: St Nicholas Church, Cublington © Rob Farrow, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
28. Watford in 1880 an extract from Young Crawley's Guide to Hertfordshire
29. Photograph of St Mary's Church, Watford in Old Postcards about 1910. Hertfordshire Genealogy
30. Photograph: Watford Union Workhouse, Vicarage Road, aka Shrodell's Hospital, Watford, Hertfordshire in Genealogy in Hertfordshire
31. Station Name: Grandborough Road in Disused Stations: Site Record by Nick Catford
32. Old Man's Death, Long Itchington: December 28th 1928 Page 9 Rugby Advertiser The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
33. Photograph: St Mary the Virgin, Norwood Willesdon Area: Ealing Deanery, Diocese of London
34. Photograph: General view of North Watford Cemetery added by Adrienne. Find A Grave
35. Headstone of Joseph Horn, Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford. Photograph of Memorial 38883500 added by Len. Find A Grave
36. Photograph: Watford: Vicarage Road Cemetery & Chapel © Nigel Cox, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Page added: June 7th 2020
Last updated June 23rd 2020


Please contact us

email If you have any questions or comments about the information on this site in general, or you have further information regarding this article, please Get in touch by leaving a message in our Guestbook. If you don't want the message to be added to the Guestbook, just say that in your text. We look forward to hearing from you.



Return to Top of Page

Translate this page:


SSL Certificate

Internet Beacon Diamond Site - 2010

© The Craxford Family Genealogy Magazine and individual copyright holders.
Edited and maintained by Alan D. Craxford 2005 - 2020. All rights reserved. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.
You are not authorized to add this page or any images from this page to Ancestry.com (or its subsidiaries) or other fee-paying sites without our express permission and then, if given, only by including our copyright and a URL link to the web site.

Search the Craxford Family Magazine powered by FreeFind
Optimal screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 and above
This page has been designed to display on mobile phone screens
- landscape orientation recommended
Hosted By eUKhost logo UK Web Hosting and

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 10.1.3cx, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2020.

****