The Craxford Family Magazine Red Pages

{$text['mgr_red1']} Cottingham 2.9c

A History of the Tilley family: Cottingham Part 2b, the family of Samuel and Mary Ann Tilley

by Alan D Craxford and Janice Binley

with contributions from Chris Blenkarn and Julie Hill

Introduction

This article is a continuation of "A History of the Tilley Family: Cottingham Part 1, the early generations" [Article A.] and a companion to "A History of the Tilley family: Cottingham Part 2a, the family of James and Martha Tilley" [Article B.] and follows the progress of two of the branches of the Tilley family from Cottingham, Northamptonshire from the early part of the nineteenth century to the middle years of the twentieth century. The first twig concentrated on the offspring of James Tilley, who was the son of John Tilley and Mary Asher. This second twig features the children of Samuel Tilley, who was the son of William Tilley and Catherine Woodcock. John and William were first cousins.

As the article proceeds it will demonstrate the many, varied and often complex interconnections with other families which have been long term residents of the village. It also closes an arc in the storyline of the Craxford family which started with a letter written to the father of one of the authors and ends with the mother of the writer of that letter. Links to other articles describing these relationships can be found in the table in column 3.

  Surname Count
1 Tansley 147
2 Crane 134
3 Claypole 112
4 Binley 81
5 Tilley 81
6 Beadsworth 45
7 Craxford 39
8 Jarvis 36
9 Jarman 27
Surnames associated with this article from Cottingham, Northamptonshire and Middleton, Northamptonshire

About William Tilley and Catherine Woodcock

William Tilley's life spanned seven decades and saw the reign of four British monarchs. Born in the village of Cottingham about 1780, he spent most of his working life in the fields. He was married twice: on November 13th 1806 and on May 20th 1814. His first wife, local girl Elizabeth Harwood, died childless in December 1812 aged 35 years. His second wife Catherine Woodcock came from Caldecott, three miles away across the county boundary in Rutland.

William and Catherine had six known children, although first born son, Thomas probably died in infancy in 1815. William traded for several years as a thatcher before moving onto the land. They moved into a cottage in Blind Lane where he died in October 1850. After William's death, Catherine moved into a house around the corner on Hill Road (the main route out of the village to the north east which was renamed Rockingham Road during the 1850s) taking her four youngest children with her. She took on work as a laundress to supplement her income. Later that decade she moved the family and business back into Blind Lane. She died in 1867.

The lives of four of the five children who survived infancy (William, Joseph, Mary and Sarah) have been documented in the previous article. The life and often complex family relationships of their youngest son, Samuel, make up the rest of this current study.


Old map: Middleton 1902.
Old map: Cottingham 1886.

Maps of Middleton (1902) and Cottingham (1886) showing variations of street names and places of interest

The family of Samuel Tilley and Mary Ann Tilley

Samuel Tilley was the youngest of the four sons of William Tilley and Catherine Woodcock. He was born on May 30th 1823 and baptised at the Church of St Mary Magdalene almost one year later on May 2nd 1824. His early years were spent first in a house in Blind Lane and then around the corner in Rockingham Road where he became an agricultural labourer. In a small community it was not unexpected that he would be involved in activities with the other lads of the village. On at least a couple of occasions this got him into trouble with the law. When he was 21 years of age, he appeared before Kettering Petty Sessions charged with others of assaulting a police constable. He was fined £5. He appeared before bench again at Kettering in March ten years later charged with killing a hare on the Wilbarston estate. A curious quirk of the law at the time made a distinction between hares, which were considered game and therefore subject to poaching, and rabbits which were considered to be the landowners property and therefore subject to theft. These and other similar issued were described in a previous article ("The Crane family of Cottingham. Part 1:Victim or Villain?" [Article C.]).

Mary Ann Tilley was the oldest of the three daughters of John Tilley and Mary Asher. She was born in the village on July 27th 1833 and baptised two days later. She grew up with her siblings and kept house in the family home in Church Street after both her parents died before she reached her twentieth birthday. She also found work in the cottage industry as a lace runner.

Samuel and Mary Ann were married on June 23rd 1853, the ceremony witnessed by his sister Sarah and her brother James. Samuel was 10 years older than his bride. They were first cousins (once removed) - the relationship arising from Samuel's father William being the brother of Mary Ann's grandfather John.

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene

St Mary Magdalene Church, Cottingham: a view across the village from Blind Lane

Headstone

Headstone for Samuel and Mary Ann Tilley
Mouse over for inscription

They made their home in Church Street, initially three doors away in one direction from his bother William and his wife Ann Wingell - and from her brother James and his wife Martha Hector three doors away in the other. Over the first 20 years of their marriage Samuel and Mary Ann had nine children: six sons and three daughters. At the time of the census taken in April 1881, the family were in residence in the High Street. Their next door neighbour was Martha (Hector) Tilley whose husband James (who was Mary Ann's brother and Samuel's first cousin once removed) had died the previous month. Samuel died on December 10th 1901. Mary Ann survived him for nearly a decade, dying on March 10th 1910. They were both buried in the same plot (Section F plot 5) of St Mary Magdalene churchyard.

1. John William Tilley (1853-1918)

Trinity

Trinity Church, Hucknall (4)

The first son of Samuel and Mary Ann Tilley was born on June 24th 1853 and baptised John William two weeks later. He spent his formative years in the family home in Church Street. In due time he joined his father on the land. Sometime during the 1870s he left the village and travelled the 55 or so miles north to the Nottinghamshire town of Hucknall (at that time called Hucknall Torkard). For a short time he tried his hand as a coal miner in one of the local pits.

On Christmas Eve 1878 he married Hannah Shooter witnessed by her brother George and sister Mary at the Trinity Methodist Church (a new structure which had been built and opened in Baker Street in the town in 1873 (5)). Hannah was born in Hucknall in 1853, the older daughter of George Sheppard (a gamekeeper and cottager who looked after a smallholding) and Sarah Lister. She also had five brothers. In 1872 Hannah had entered into a marriage with local man Samuel Shooter. The union, which was childless, had lasted for barely two years when Samuel died aged 27 years on October 5th 1874, his death being caused by typhoid fever. Hannah's brother John Shepherd reported his death.

Claypoles: Carriers of Cottingham

A Carrier: a local delivery service

After their own marriage John William and Hannah initially set up home in Peveril Street in the centre of the town but later moved about 2 miles south west to Watnall Road. He began a business as a carrier (the driver of a horse-drawn vehicle for transporting and delivering goods) similar to the enterprise run in Cottingham by Thomas, the husband of his tragic first cousin Mary Elizabeth Tilley, and his brother William Claypole (see "The Sorrows of Mary Atkins" [Article D.]).

Between 1880 and 1888, Hannah gave birth to five babies (Mary Ann, 1880; Edna, 1882; Samuel; 1883; Louisa, 1884, William Shepherd, 1888). Curiously, the first four were registered with her maiden name given as Shooter rather than Sheppard. Hannah died on October 20th 1891, the registered cause of death was Bright's Disease and dropsy (chronic kidney failure, gross swelling with fluid retention and high blood pressure). She was 37 years old.

Their first born, Mary Ann, arrived in 1880 and lived into the beginning of the new century but then disappeared from the records. Last born son William Shepherd was born on May 8th 1888 but lived only for a few months. He died on December 24th 1888 reportedly from marasmus (severe malnutrition) and convulsions.

At the age of nine, second daughter Edna was sent to live with her uncle Henry Sheppard (Hannah's youngest brother) in the village of Westbury on Trym, just outside of Bristol. Whether this was related to her mother's untimely death is unknown. She remained there for the next decade. She returned to Nottingham in the middle 1900s where she became pregnant. She gave birth to a daughter she named Marian in the spring of 1907. She married Edward Foster in Nottingham in 1909, presenting him with a son the following year.

Letitia

SS Letitia: Served as a hospital ship in WW1.
The ship ran aground and sank near Halifax Harbour in August 1917. (6)

Edward emigrated to Canada before the outbreak of the first World War. Edna, Marian and William followed aboard the SS Letitia, which was making its maiden voyage, from Glasgow Scotland on June 27th 1914, arriving in Quebec on July 5th 1914. Edward and Edna settled in the township of Aurora in the Greater Toronto area of Ontario, Canada. They had two more daughters (Sadie Emily in 1915 and Edna May in 1917). Edward died in neighbouring Newmarket Ontario on October 2nd 1963; Edna on January 23rd 1965.

Son Samuel was born in Hucknall on April 11th 1883. By the turn of the century he had moved to London where he married 24 year old Emily Clarke in Woolwich in 1905.Their first daughter, Daisy Edna,was born in 1908. Two further daughters followed: Elsie May (1914) and Iris Joan (1915). At the outbreak of the first World War he enlisted as Private 38370 and served with the 66th Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps. His attestation papers describe him to be 5 feet 9¼ inches tall with a fresh complexion, grey eyes and lighht brown hair. On April 6th 1920, the family embarked on SS Grampian in London bound for St John New Brunswick Canada. The crossing took 17 days. They settled in Timmins, a town in the north east of Ontario. Initially Samuel took a job as a horse keeper but later became a gold miner. In the middle of the 1930s his health began to fail as he developed silicosis. This affected his breathing and he died on October 31st 1937 of bronchopneumonia. He was buried in the South Porcupine (Tisdale) Cemetery on the outskirts of the town on November 2nd 1937.

Third daughter Louisa was born on November 3rd 1884. She remained with her father in the family home until 1911. She married carpenter and joiner Joseph Hallam in Hucknall in 1912. Over the next five years the couple had four children: Alice (1912); Evelyn (1915); Frank (1916); Ivy (1917). By the start of the second World War, they had moved to Leicestershire where they lived in Turnbull Drive, Blaby.

2. Vincent Alfred Tilley (1854-1889)

Second son, Vincent Alfred, was born just over a year after John William on October 30th 1854. He was baptised on August 5th 1855. He spent his working life as an agricultural labouer and also spent his early years in the family home. He married local girl Clara Jarvis on August 2nd 1883. Over the next five years they had three children. He became progrssively ill with pyrexia and weight loss at the end of that decade. He died on October 1st 1889 aged 35 years. The cause of his death was certified as tuberculous disease of the kidneys. He was buried five days later. The lives of Clara and their children will be covered in a later section.

3. Arthur Tilley (1857-1948)

Arthur Tilley

Arthur Tilley

Third son Arthur was born on June 29th and was baptised on August 9th 1857. He grew up in the family home but by his early 20s he had moved on to Northampton. He married Ann Elizabeth Fennell at All Saints Church in the town on August 8th 1881. She was the daughter of sadler Henry Fennell and was working as a chambermaid. Arthur described himself as a shopkeeper in the parish register. They set up home in St James Park Road on the west side of the town centre. A son, Arthur Henry, was born on January 28th 1882 and a daughter, Sarah Ann, on June 20th 1884.

By 1891 Arthur had become a cellarman at a local hostelry. Towards the end of the century, he moved the family to Corby where he took over the licence of the Nags Head Inn which stood in the High Street. For a time the family lived on the premises. Son Arthur Henry trained as a joiner and carpenter.

Nags Head

Old photograph of Corby High Street looking towards The Jamb. The Nag's Head is on the left hand side of the street opposite the entrance to Stocks Lane.

At the time of the census of 1911, Arthur had moved again, this time to Sparkbrook in Birmingham He found work as a dairyman. Whilst there, daughter Sarah Ann married Arthur Hugh Isaac in Birmingham, ultimately moving to London. Prior to this Arthur Henry moved south to Maidenhead in Berkshire where he married Rose Matilda Southby in June 1908. Arthur Henry enlisted in the Army as private 053212 on January 8th 1912. He became a driver with the No 48 South Midlands Divisional Supply Column of the Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport Company. He served in France in 1915 and Italy in 1917 and was promoted to Company Sergeant Major in 1915. After the war he returned to his family in Berkshire.

Ethelburgas

St Ethelburga's Church (7)

After the end of the first world war, Arthur and Ann Elizabeth moved to the south coast where they took up residence at Bulverhythe Road, Bexhill-on-Sea. They lived there for nearly fifteen years until Ann died in autumn of 1931. About two years later Arthur married again to 60 year old spinster Currie Lingham at the Church of St Ethelburga, St Leonards on Sea on January 13th 1934. They lived together through the years of the second World War in Wickham Avenue in Bexhill-on-Sea. Arthur died at the age of 91 years on August 21st 1948 at 7 Cornwall Road in the town.

4. Thomas Tilley (1860-1873), 5. Mary Edna Tilley (1862-1864)

Thomas, the fourth son of Samuel and Mary Ann Tilley, was born in the spring of 1860. When he was two years of age, the household received their first baby daughter around the New Year 1862. She was named Mary Edna. Sadness descended on the family when an epidemic of scarlet fever swept through the village in the autumn of 1864 and the little girl caught it too. She died from the disease on November 17th 1864. Mary Edna was buried on November 19th 1864. Young Thomas spent his childhood in Church Street. He died on March 6th 1873 of a chect infection and was buried on March 9th 1873. Both these young children's deaths were registered by Sarah (Crane) Sculthorpe, the wife of William Sculthorpe and mother of Martha Hector's second husband, William Sculthorpe who lived four doors away in Church Street and was present when they died.

7. Lewis Tilley (1867-1868); 8. Samuel Tilley (1870-1870)

Mary Ann became pregnant for the seventh time around New Year 1867. She delivered a son in October of that year. The baby, she named Lewis, was never well and failed to thrive. He died after eighteen weeks on February 27th 1868. The certified cause of death was the nonspecific term "atrophy". Another pregnancy ensued in the autumn of 1869. When she started showing the early signs of a premature labour on June 17th 1870, they called for 57 year old Elizabeth Tansley (wife of David and who had had ten children of her own) who acted as the village midwife. A boy they named Samuel was delivered the same evening but breathed for only 30 minutes.

6. Edna Louisa Tilley (1865-1927), 9. Mary Ann Tilley (1874-1944)

A second daughter, Edna Louisa, was born in the spring of 1865. Eight years later, her sister Mary Ann Tilley was born on May 31st 1873. Both girls lived together in Church Street for nearly 50 years. In her middle teens Edna Loiusa had learned to operate a sewing machine. Then both young ladies were employed as tailoresses at the Wallis and Linnell Clothing Factory in Rockingham Road. This Kettering-based firm had established a number of small factories in the neighbouring villages and had been a major source of employment for the women of Cottingham since 1874.

Headstone

Headstone for Edna Louisa Tilley
Mouse over for inscription

Edna Louisa never married. She died in the village on February 25th 1927 and was buried in section F plot 4 of St Mary Magdalene Churchyard next to her parents. Late in life, Mary Ann married widower David White in Cottingham in the spring of 1929. He had been married to Jane Braunston who had died two years previously. For ten years they continued to live together in a house in Church Street. In 1939, their next door neighbours on either side were the families of brothers Thomas Albert and William Sydney Liquorish. Their family's relationship to Cottingham is recounted in "All sorts of Liquorish" [Article E.]). David White died in the winter 0f 1940. Mary Ann lived on in Church Street. She was taken ill and admitted to Kettering General Hospital where she died on March 25th 1944. Her will was proved and probate granted on September 9th the same year. She had left her estate, valued at over £1100 to Leslie Vernon Porter, headmaster of the school in Cottingham.

The family of John Jarvis and Mary Clow

At this point the narrative will diverge away from the main thread to consider the origins and linkages of a particular branch of the Jarvis family residing in Cottingham. The surname, and its alternative spelling Jervis, are commonly distributed in the parish records throughout Northamptonshire from the middle of the seventeenth century. Historically the Cottingham Tilley family had descended through the Langtons, a group of villages in south Leicestershire five miles north of Market Harborough, from an origin near Kibworth Harcourt about the time of the English Civil War but there are no known previous liaisons between them and the Jarvis family. The first recorded Jarvis baptism in Cottingham was of Sarah, daughter of single woman Ann, which took place on April 19th 1829. The first marriage in the parish was one year later and will be referred to below.

Although nothing is known of his earlier history, John Jarvis was born in Church Langton, a village in south Leicestershire five miles north of Market Harborough. John, an agricultural labourer moved to Cottingham in the 1820s and married Mary the daughter of William Clow and Eleanor Ingram on May 30th 1830. Mary had three brothers. Thomas Clow had married Eleanor Bull. Eleanor's brother Samuel Bull had a daughter, Sarah married to Thomas Jackson and whose son Thomas married Alice from the Chambers / Claypole family. Their other son John married Elizabeth, the daughter of David and midwife Elizabeth Tansley.

Once settled in the village John Jarvis and Mary Clow spent their working lives in Water Lane. Between 1831 and 1849 they had six children: three sons and three daughters. John died in 1892; Mary followed him in 1895.

1. Thomas Jarvis (1831-1895)

First son Thomas was born in 1831. In his youth he began working on the land. On September 18th 1853 he married Alice, the daughter of Anthony Beesworth and Elizabeth Hipwell, a family living in Middleton. She was already about eight years older than he was. In the early 1850s she had been working as a house servant for the family of baker William Aldwinckle. Although her documentation displays the historical spelling of her surname (Beesworth) over the next several years members of the family took to the alternative spelling (Beadsworth) which prevails to this day. Thomas and Alice moved east in Northamptonshire first to Aldwinckle St Peter and then Wadenhoe near Thrapston where he was employed as an agricultural labourer and woodman. They had five children. Both died in the village in 1895.

2. James Jarvis (1833-1908), 3. Elizabeth Jarvis (1836-bef 1911)

John Jarvis and Mary Clow's second son James was born in 1833. He started working life in the fields. He was followed by first daughter Elizabeth, born on May 13th and baptised on June 12th 1836. As soon as she was old enough she joined in the cottage industry of lace making. On December 23rd 1855 James married Matilda, the third daughter of Thomas Coles and Susannah Claypole born in 1835. The ceremony was witnessed by William Clow (his uncle) and Elizabeth (his sister). James and Matilda set up their own household which will be described below.

Meanwhile Elizabeth Jarvis had two daughters, Emma in 1864 and Elizabeth in 1869 both of whom became tailoresses at the clothing factory. Then on February 1st 1872 she married widower Charles, the second son of Thomas Coles and Susannah Claypole. This time the witnesses were William Jarvis (her nephew) and Elizabeth Clow (her first cousin). Matilda and Charles Coles had eight other siblings, many of whom were intimately entwined with the other families of record. Mary Ann Coles was married to William Jarman who will be met later in the article. Alice Coles raised eight children with James Tansley; Francis Coles married Elizabeth Atkins who was distantly linked to Mary Atkins and the Claypole carriers; Thomas Coles married Caroline Crane (one of the ten children of Thomas Crane) and had eleven children of their own.

Charles Coles had four children with his first wife Maria Vickers including Emma Eliza who married George, one of the sons of Henry Crane and Mary Sculthorpe. With Elizabeth Jarvis he had a son and two daughters. John Coles married Sarah Louisa, the daughter of John James Tilley and Clara White. They had five sons and six daughters.

4. Mary Jarvis (1838-1866); 5. Jane Jarvis (1841 ); 6 William Jarvis (1849 - bef 1911)

Brampton Rectory

The Old Rectory, Brampton Ash. (8)

Mary Jarvis was born on December 21st 1838. In her early 20s, she entered domestic service as a parlourmaid for Sidney Lidderdale Smith at the Rectory, Brampton Ash. Also on the staff was footman Charles Packwood with whom she formed an attachment. The couple were married in the winter of 1863. Wedded bliss did not last long as Mary died on March 3rd 1866, Rector Smith was with her when she died. The cause of death was phthisis (pulmonary tuberculosis). She was followed by Charles who succumbed to the same disease on November 18th that same year.

Next daughter Jane was baptised in Cottingham on April 6th 1841. In her teens she too went into domestic service at the Rectory at Leasingham near Sleaford in Lincolnshire. Final son William was born in 1849. After spending his youth in the fields he became a presser at the clothing factory. He married Ann Elizabeth West on Boxing Day 1878.


Continued in column 2...


The family of James Jarvis and Matilda Coles

James Jarvis and Matilda Coles spent the first 20 years of their married life in a house in Water Lane. At the time of the 1861 census the two houses to one side were occupied by his parents John Jarvis and Mary Clow and his uncle James Clow and wife Ann Satchell. The next door but one neighbour in the other direction was William Clow (another of his uncles) and his wife Frances Foode. Ten years later their conditions were to say the least cramped as they had eight children under 16 years of age at home.

During the next decade the older offspring started to migrate away into their own patterns and by 1881 James had moved the rest of the family into a property on Corby Road. Their next door neighbour was Elizabeth (Panter) Atkins the widow of Thomas and living with her 19 year old grandson John. In the terrace of houses on the other side lived the families of Thomas Bellamy Claypole with his wife Alice Baker; Thomas' brother John Claypole with his wife Mary Anne Tansley (their one year old son Arthur Thomas would subsequently marry Mary Elizabeth Tilley) and Anthony Beadsworth (whose sister Alice married Thomas Jarvis) with his wife Mary Henrietta and seven of their children.

Corby Road looking into the village

Corby Road (about 1895) (9)

As the century drew to a close, James joined many of the menfolk in abandoning the work in the fields. He became a labourer maintaining some of the local roads. Matilda's health failed first. She died at home on December 10th 1903 and was buried two days later. James did find some solace in his garden and indeed did win a shared first prize with Jesse Ingram for the best Cottage garden in the Parish of Cottingham at the Rockingham Flower Show held in July 1905. He died in the winter of 1908.

1. John Jarvis (1855-1918)

The first son born to James Jarvis and Matilda Coles arrived over the winter of 1855 and he was baptised John on April 20th 1856. In his teens he became a general labourer. He married Fanny Claypole who lived in Middleton in the autumn of 1877. Fanny was the only daughter of William Claypole and Mary Timson born in 1855. William had been married before to Harriett Newman who died after childbirth in 1847. Mary was nearly 40 years old and still single at her wedding on March 19th 1854 but she had a teenage son and daughter. William was the brother of Susannah Claypole who had married Thomas Coles. The couple lived on in Middleton until William's death in 1874. Mary was ultimately admitted to the Union Workhouse on London Road, Kettering where she died in early May 1891. Incidentally, one of William Claypole and Harriet Newman's son's was the first husband of Caroline Craxford who went on to marry Enos Jackson. Her story is told in the article "The Gretton Craxfords: Chronicles II - Enos and Caroline" [Article F.].

John Jarvis and Fanny Claypole had three daughters. First daughter Lois was born in 1878 while they were living in Rockingham Road. During the early 1890s John turned his hand to gardening and they moved home to Westbury in Wiltshire. Daughters Hilda Mary (1891) and Grace (1892) were born there. At the turn of the century he moved again about 10 miles north west to the village of Limpley Stoke. Fanny died there in the summer of 1901. John did marry again, to Louisa Start, in 1902 with whom he had two sons (Ernest Joseph in 1904 and Wilfred John in 1906). They settled in Exeter and John died there in 1918.

2. Mary Ann Jarvis (1857-1933)

The White Hosuse

William, son of Thomas Spriggs standing outside the White House, 1920s (9)

The oldest of the three daughters, Mary Ann, was born on September 20th and baptised on October 25th 1857. She married Thomas, the son of Edward Spriggs and Sarah Dan, in the autumn of 1879 and moved from the Jarvis family home into a house in Dag Lane (School Lane). Their first next door neighbour was bricklayer David White with his first wife Jane Braunston. After Jane died, David married Mary Ann Tilley (the sister of Mary Ann Jarvis' own sister Clara's future husband). Thomas Spriggs and Mary Ann Jarvis had eleven children between 1883 and 1900 although one, a boy, died in infancy in 1888. Thomas spent his working life as a jobbing gardener. Mary Ann died in August 1933 and was buried in Section B2 plot 25 of St Mary Magdalene churchyard on the 16th of that month. Thomas lived on in School Lane, his house named "The White House". His neighbours on either side were his brothers in law. At the outset of the second World War his son William, an ironstone quarryman, and his wife Kate Osbourne, who became a teacher, were living with Thomas. Thomas died in April 1943 and was buried in the same plot as his wife on April 14th 1943. This was one plot away (23) from where his parents had been interred in 1914 and 1921 respectively.

3. William Alfred Jarvis (1859-1939)

Next son, William Alfred, was born in the spring of 1859 and baptised on June 13th 1860. As a young boy he earned a few pennies for the household budget as a bird scarer before becoming an agricultural labourer. He married Sarah Ann Foster in 1881. They had three children including Annie Jarvis who married George Alfred, the son of Charles William Liquorish and Ellen Joyce. One of Sarah Ann Foster's maternal uncles, Lino John Vickers, had married Dinah Craxford in Middleton in June 1867; whilst another, George Henry Vickers's daughter Harriet married Benjamin Tansley in July 1895. William Alfred and Sarah Ann made their home in Barrack Yard and Blind Lane. There is an account of this local neighbourhood at "The Barrack Yard Preservation Society" [Article G.]. William became a roadman for the local council. Sarah Ann died in March 1923, William in May eight years later. They were buried in Section B4 plot 59 of the churchyard.

4. Elizabeth Jarvis (1862-1942)

The Nook

St Mary Magdalene Church. View from Corby Road down through The Nook (9)

Claypole grave

Headstone for Joseph and Elizabeth Claypole
Mouse over for inscription

Second daughter, Elizabeth was born in 1862. She married Joseph, the son of Samuel Claypole and Ann Chambers, on June 12th 1884. Joseph was a shepherd. They started their married life in The School House in Middleton. They had five children. They continued to live in the village until Joseph's death on January 7th 1941. Elizabeth followed a little over twelve months later on March 26th 1952. They were buried in St Mary Magdalene Churchyard in Section G2 plot 35.

Their first daughter, Maud Mary (born 1884) and third daughter (born 1890) married the Durrant brothers, Ernest James and Arthur, from Buxhall near Stowmarket in Suffolk. Middle daughter Gertrude (born 1886) married Ernest Albert, the son of John James Tilley and Clara White. Older son Arthur (born 1887) was married twice:: first to Minnie Marie Chappel in 1912. They had four sons. Minnie's brother Frederick married Eliza Elizabeth, the daughter of Frederick Panter and Mary Elizabeth Binley. After Minnie died Arthur remarried to Maud Annie Allen. Arthur died on February 15th 1985.

5. Clara Jarvis (1864-1925)

Third daughter Clara was born at the opening of 1864. She was baptised at St Mary Magdalene church on March 13th 1864, the same day that Emma the daughter of Clara's aunt Elizabeth Jarvis was baptised. She was nineteen years of age when she married Vincent Alfred Tilley. Afterwards they made their home in Rockingham Road and Clara found employment as a tailoress at the clothing factory. Their first daughter, Beatrice Edith was born in 1884 followed by another, Clara Louisa on December 7th 1885. More of their stories will be told later. Finally a son, Herbert, was born in 1888 but he died aged 6 years in November 1894.

As noted above her husband Vincent Alfred Tilley died on October 1st 1889.

6. James Jarvis (1866-1948)

Third son James was born on June 6th 1866. He started his working life as an agricultural labourer and then took to managing a farm. He married Jane Pears in Grantham in Lincolnshire in 1899 after which they made their home in the High Street, Cottingham. They had three daughters: Margaret Eva, Flora and Constance. Jane died in the summer of 1935. By 1939, James and his two younger daughters were living together in The Red House, School Lane: next door to Thomas Spriggs at The White House. Flora was a teacher at the local school. James died in the village aged 82 years in the spring of 1948.

7. Jabez Jarvis (1868-1887)

Next to be born was Jabez in the spring of 1868. As a young man he enlisted as a private with the 2nd Battalion, the Leicestershire Regiment and in 1886 he was sent out to join the garrison at Lucknow, Oudh in northern India. The garrison had been manned by the British Army since the Indian mutiny of 1857. Jabez would almost certainly have been present at the public execution of one of his compatriots, 2638 Private George Flaxman, on the parade square on January 10th 1887 for the murder of Lance Sergeant William Carmody - an event immortalized in the poem "Danny Deever" by Rudyard Kipling (10, 11). Jabez was taken ill during the later summer and was admitted to the base hospital suffering from one of the enteric fevers. He died of the condition on September 19th 1887 and was buried the following day at the Lucknow Military Cemetery.

8 David Jarvis (1870-1942)

Penultimate son David was born on October 8th 1870. He too started work on the land. In the summer of 1896, David married Mary Ellen, the 25 year old daughter of Arthur and Betsy Mutton, at All Saints Church in Clipston, a village four miles south of Market Harborough and just inside the Northamptonshire border. Their son Arthur James was born eighteen months later. By 1901 they had settled into a house in Water Lane. Their next door neighbour was Elizabeth, the widow of David's uncle Francis Coles who had died in 1895, and her two youngest children - Annie and Joseph. The production of the 1939 Register at the beginning of the second World War found David and Mary Ellen living in The Bungalow in School Lane. This lay between Thomas Sprigg's White House (and next door but one to James Jarvis' Red House) on one side and the Cottingham Police Station on the other. Next door to the police station lived slater and tile contractor Sidney Coles with his new wife Florence May Hammond and her daughter Mary. Sidney was David's first cousin (once removed). Sidney's parents were John Thomas Crane Coles (whose names were derived from his parents Thomas Coles and Caroline Crane) and Clara Elizabeth Tansley. David died in 1942.

9. Ernest Jarvis (1877-1939)

Ernest "Ernie" Jarvis was the last of the children of James Jarvis and Matilda Coles to be born. His birth was registered in the third quarter of 1877 under the surname Jervis. As a young man, Ernest started working at the Wallis and Linnell clothing factory on Rockingham Road as a machine minder. On August 6th 1901, he married 23 year old Annie Laurena Dawes, a tailoress from Bringhurst, Leicestershire. Her origin is unclear. Census returns indicate that she was born in the Yardley district of Birmingham but from the age of three she had lived with and been brought up by her grandparents, Samuel and Jane Daws. One possible explanation is that she was the daughter of an unmarried daughter, Emma. The ceremony was witnessed by Lewis Crane (the son of Henry Crane and Mary Sculthorpe) who was the husband of Ellen Jarman, Ernest's first cousin, and Sarah Ellen Spriggs, the daughter of his sister Mary Ann.

Wallis factory

The Wallis and Linnell Clothing factory on Rockingham Road

The couple made their home in Rockingham Road. They had three sons (one, Cyril Ernest died in infancy in 1907) and one daughter. By 1911 Ernest was working as a clothes presser at the clothing factory. Annie was also employed there as a tailoress. After the outbreak of war, Ernest enlisted for military service. He declared his trade to be that of a millwright. He was assessed at the Glen Parva Barracks in Leicestershire on June 3rd 1916 and became private 274655 and assigned to the 977 Mechanical Transport Company Army Service Corps. He was posted for service at the Norwich station. Ernest had a developmental abnormality of his left leg (talipes equinovarus or clubfoot) which had left him with a high arched turned in foot and an somewhat awkward gait. Because of this he was considered unfit for further active service and was discharged from the Army on October 6th 1918.

Ernest continued to work as a manager at the clothing factory. He died just before the start of the second World War and was buried in Cottingham on February 24th 1939. Annie survived him by nearly 30 years. She died on October 25th 1968. The couple were buried in Cottingham churchyard in section G2 plot 34.

Wallis staff

Clothing factory staff. Ernest Jarman is standing second from the right.

A short history of the Jarman family

Another family intricately involved with the thread of this article are the Jarmans. Baptisms in the name of Jarman (other variations include Jarmain, Jermin and Germin) were recorded in villages in the south west of Northamptonshire in the middle of the seventeenth century. The line of particular interest in Cottingham originated in the village of Clipston, a couple of miles from Market Harborough on the Northamptonshire side of the border. The first two marriages recorded in that village at the parish church were (presumably) brothers Henry Jarman who married Mary Anderson in August 1740 and Thomas Jarman who married Hannah Wagstaffe in April 1742.

All Saints

All Saints Church, Clipston (from an old postcard)

William Jarman was born in Clipston about 1794. He married Sarah Barnett in Rugby on April 5th 1814 after banns had been published on Sundays 6th, 13th and 20th of March. They initially settled in Clipston where two sons (Thomas 1825) and William (1828) and four daughters: Elizabeth, (1820); Mary Ann, (1822 who probably died in infancy), Jane (1830) and Mary (1833) were born. William developed a trade as a brickmaker and towards the end of the 1830s moved the family to Cottingham where they took a house in Church Street.

By 1851, William had moved to Rockingham Road and was working in the brickworks which had been established there by local entrepreneur, John Neville Chamberlain. John already owned a shop in Church Street and was married to Elizabeth Tilley (who was Mary Ann Tilley's aunt and Samuel Tilley's first cousin). This relationship is explored in the article "Elizabeth Tilley and the grocery connection" [Article H.]. That year's census showed William and Sarah with one remaining daughter, Mary and a five year old granddaughter named Jane Vcikers. It transpired that daughter Elizabeth had married Joseph Vickers in 1841 but had died in 1860. Ten years later Jane Vickers, now a lace runner, was living with the family of Thmas Crane, Henry Crane's brother, in Wood Lane. William died sometime in the 1850s. Sarah lived on with the family of her younger son.

The post office

The Chamberlain shop, Church Street (from an old postcard about 1900)

Their older son, Thomas, followed his father into the brickmaking trade. He married Rebecca Smith on August 4th 1845. They had five children including son John (born 1853). An interesting observation is that one of his graddaughters, Elizabeth Emily Jarman married Edward Eric Tilley in Leicester in 1929. His lineage traces back to the family who removed to Burton Overy in the mid nineteenth century. He was third cousin (three times removed) to Samuel Tilley and fourth cousin (twice removed) to Mary Ann Tilley.

The family of William Jarman and Mary Ann Coles

The youngest son of William Jarman and Sarah Barnett was born in Clipston in January 28th 1829 and baptised on June 7th the following year. He initially moved with the family to Cottingham but by his early 20s he was living in the Market Place, Billesdon, Leicestershire with the family of grocer and brickmaker Thomas Sharpe. He had already designated himself a journeyman brickmaker. He returned home to Cottingham where, on May 31st 1852, he married Mary Ann Coles, the sister of Matilda, James Jarvis' wife. The ceremony was witnessed by Jane Jarman (his sister) and Joseph Claypole (her uncle). They settled into the house in Rockingham Road, initially sharing with his widowed mother. It is noted that at the time of the census of 1871 their next door neighbour was Henry Allen the village police constable who was originally from Stamford in Lincolnshire. They spent some time around the date of the 1881 census in Corby Road where their next door neighbour was George Vickers, a fellow brick maker, whose older brother Lino John Vickers had married Dinah Craxford in 1867. In due course they returned to Rockingham Road and that is where they spent the rest of their married lives and brought up twelve children.

Corby Road

Corby Road, Cottingham (about 1905)

William died in March 1892 and was buried on the 26th of that month. Mary Ann survived him for over 20 years. After his death she went to live with her married daughter Ellen, still in Rockingham Road. She died in the spring of 1916.

1. George Henry Jarman (1852-1939)

George Henry was the first to be born on April 30th and was baptised on September 5th 1852. As a nine year old he was earning pennies as a "brick boy" alongside his father at the brickworks. As he reached the end of his teens he took a job as a labourer at a lime works in Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire, lodging for a time with the family of Thomas Smith in North Street. There he met and married 18 year old Winifred Boulter in the summer of 1872. They had two children whilst in the town: Elizabeth (born 1873) and John (born 1875)

A change of career and a change of scene loomed. Whether it was the influence of having a policeman living next door to the family home is not known but by the end of the decade, George Henry, his wife and two children had moved to Grantham in Lincolnshire and he became a police constable. For the next twenty years they lived in Stuart Street. A second son, Herbert John, was born in 1884. He had to cope with supporting his eleven year old daughter at the Grantham Borough Police Court after she had been indecently assaulted in the street when out walking {12).

The couple saw their daughter Elizabeth marry domestic gardener William Hartley in Grantham in early 1902. George Henry was granted his police pension after 26 years of service at the quarterly meeting of Grantham Town Council on May 4th 1906. After he retired, he and Winifred moved back to Barrow upon Soar where she died on December 17th 1913. She was buried two days later at the Cotes Road Cemetery. William and Elizabeth Hartley had moved to Colwyn Bay, North Wales to raise their family. Towards the end of his life, George moved to Wales to be with them. He died there on December 28th 1939.

2. Mary Ann Jarman (1853-1932)

The first daughter to be born to William and Mary Ann arrived in the spring of 1853 and was named after her mother. As a teenager she was sent into domestic service at the home of William Marchant who farmed a large holding of 502 acres in the village of Rockingham. He lived in the farm house close by the Sondes Arms Inn. Living in the next door cottage were the family of William Liquorish and Lucy Craxford. Mary Ann's next move was to Leicester where she took up residence with music teacher Marianne Smith. She lodged with her for over ten years, first in Oxendon Street, which ran off Guthlaxton Street in the Highfields area of the town and later about 200 yards south in Gopsall Street. During this time she was working in the hosiery trade.

At the turn of the century, she was joined in Leicester by her younger sister Clara and ran a dressmaking business from 65 Evington Street which was just around the corner from Gopsall Street. To help their finances they took in two lodgers: 25 year old butcher Ernest Morris and 22 year old George Wood, an ironmonger's assistant. At the end of the decade, the two girls were still together and had moved to a house about half a mile south in Hamilton Street. Mary Ann remained there for the rest of her life. She did not marry. She died on April 15th 1932 and was buried two days later in Section uQ plot 376 of Welford Road Cemetery.

4. John Jarman (1856-1922)

St Matthews

St Matthews Church, Leicester

Second son John followed in the autumn of 1856. As a young lad he started work in the fields. However towards the end of his teens he followed the trend and moved away to Leicester. His first job there was in general labouring and he found lodging with Offaly Chapman in Palmerston Street. On April 18th 1881, he married 25 year old Sarah Maria Bates from Horninghold, Leicestershire at St Matthews Church. The couple made their home in Williow Street. During the next decade they had three daughters: Edith Mary (1882), Margaret (1883) and Henrietta (1888). By 1891 John had found work as a carter. They had also provided a home for a lodger, railway labourer George Lees.

St Matthews

Daniel Lambert Inn, Leicester (13)

At the turn of the century John had taken out a licence to sell beer. He took over a retail outlet which was called the Joiners' Arms in Chatham Street which runs between Granby Street and Wellington Street near the town centre. In 1906 they saw their oldest daughter Edith Mary marry John Arthur Billson. By 1911 they were able to employ their own teenage domestic servant. When the first World War began, John had moved to a similar establishment on Albion Hill (Dover Street) called the Daniel Lambert Inn. He continued to manage this until his death on March 19th 1922. He was buried on March 23rd 1922 in Section uO1 plot 962 of Welford Road Cemetery. In his will published on April 8th 1922 he left his estate worth over £ 2000 to his widow.

Grave marker

Grave marker at Welford Road Cemetery for John and Sarah Maria Jarman
Mouseover for inscription

After his death Sarah Maria moved in with her middle daughter Margaret at 3 Lynne Road. Daughter Edith was admitted to the Leicester Royal Infirmary where she died on July 11th 1931. She was buried at Welford Road cemetery three days later. Sarah Maria was taken ill and was admitted to the Leicester Royal Infirmary where she died on January 21st 1945. She was interred in the same plot as her husband and daughter Edith three days later.

Continued in column 3...



The family of William Jarman and Mary Ann Coles (Continued)

3. Eliza Jarman (1855-1857), 5. William Jarman (1858-1882)

In between Mary Ann and John, another daughter was born on February 23rd 1855. She was named Eliza. The little girl was baptised on May 9th 1857, presumably because she had been taken ill over the previous three months. She died on May 20th and was buried on May 23rd 1857. The cause of death was entered as mesenteric disease (which could have indicated tuberculosis from drinking infected milk) and her death was registered by her grandmother Susannah Claypole. Almost immediately after Eliza's death, Mary Ann was pregnant again. She gave birth to a third son, William, in the spring of 1858. He grew up in the family home but by the end of his teens he made his way to Leicester. At the time of the 1881 census he was taken on as a labourer at the gasworks. He was lodging with fellow gas worker Neil Law and his family in New Park Road in the Aylestone district of the town. He became progressively ill over the opening months of 1882 and was forced to return home. He died on April 8th 1882 and was buried 4 days later. The cause of death was registered as phthisis (pulmonary tuberculosis).

6. Charles Jarman (1860-1924)

Fourth son Charles was born in the spring of 1860. He spent his boyhood growing up in the family home in Rockingham Road. In the 1880s he tried his hand at shoe making. He had a brush with the law in 1888. With his cousin Francis Coles and a soldier George West he was charged with stealing a ferret from Thomas John Fisher licencee of the Black Horse Inn in Main Street, Corby. Charles was cleared but the others were fined 5s. with 7s 3d. costs (14). By 1891 he had taken up work around the village as a chimney sweep.

Charles was in trouble again in March 1894. He was taken before the Court by Dinah Mary Patrick who was seeking an Affiliation Order in respect of her four year old son. Dinah Mary Minns had married shoemaker George Patrick in Cottingham in August 1882. The marriage proved childless and short, with George dying in August 1885. Dinah became pregnant in the summer of 1889 and gave birth to a son she named Charles Horace Patrick in the early months of 1990. After three appearances at the Kettering Petty Sessions, the case was proved and Dinah was granted a Court Order against Charles in the sum of 2s. per week with 13s. costs (15). Dinah's family provided some local family connections. Her sister Charlotte Minns had a daughter Agnes who married William Sydney Liquorish. He had grown up with his family in Brickfield Cottages in Rockingham Road. Dinah's brother Arthur Minns had a daughter Florence who married Frederick the son of George Crane and Emma Eliza Coles (Charles Jarman's first cousin). Frederick and Florence's son Bernard Thomas Crane married Evelyn Liquorish (who was his distant cousin and whose mother was Violet Lilian Beadsworth).

More of Charles Jarman's story will be covered later in the article.

7. Alfred Jarman (1862-1934)

Next to arrive was Alfred born in the spring of 1862. His first job was working in the fields. He married Sarah Ann Beasdworth, the niece of Violet Beadsworth mentioned above, in Cottingham on March 26th 1883. They remained childless for almost ten years. By 1891, the couple had moved Jubilee Street in Rothwell near Kettering taking Sarah Ann's 15 year old brother Arthur with them. He was to marry Louisa Craxford, William's sister, on December 29th 1902. Alfred started working at the local brickworks. Their daughter Eva was born in 1892. By the turn of the century they had moved to the eastern outskirts of the town on Glendon Road and Alfred had been promoted to foreman. Their son, Lawrence Alfred was born in 1907. Sarah Ann was first to die. She was buried in Rothwell Cemetery on Haigh Road on July 2nd 1923. Alfred's final move was to Chrispin Street, closer to the town centre where he died on November 26th 1834.

8. David Jarman (1863-1933)

David Jarman was born in the winter months of 1863. By the time of his seventh birthday, he had three older brothers and three younger sisters at home with him. As already noted, his next door neighbour was village constable Henry Allen with his wife Mary Ann and three young children. David's life mirrored in many respects those of his older brother George Henry. In 1881 David obtained a job as a labourer at a lime quarry in Barrow upon Soar and found lodgings with Gregory Billings in the same street that George Henry had lived ten years before. This section of North Street provided homes for the families of a number of lime quarrymen.

Sgt Jarman

Sergeant Jarman in uniform

Another move and a change of career followed in 1884, this time to Leicester, where he enrolled in the Leicester Borough Police as constable 14. He met Louisa Barnes from Lichfield Staffordshire who was 23 years old when they married in the early months of 1888. They made their home in Oxendon Street in the Highfields district of the town. After the turn of the century he was promoted to sergeant. He received his pension from the Force on July 4th 1911 after 27 years service.

David and Louisa had six children: three boys and three girls between 1889 and 1907. After his retirement, the family moved about a mile and a half north east to Trafford Road in North Evington, close by Humberstone Park. David died there on May 6th 1933. He was buried in section cO plot 333 of Welford Road Cemetery.

Kids

David Jarman's' children (about 1905)

Louisa survived him by 17 years remaining alone in their house in Trafford Road but did not remain short of support. Youngest son Arnold (born on October 39th 1907) married Nellie Woodford in 1933. In 1939 they were living in the house next door. Her daughter Mabel Dorothy (born on October 14th 1892) had married Garnet Griggs in 1919 and lived close by. Louisa died aged 85 years in the spring of 1950.

Oldest son Frederick William Jarman was born in 1889. He became a mechanical engineer and fitter for a boot and show company. He married Prudence Dixon in 1915. By the start of the second World War they had settled in Mayflower Road in the Leicester suburb of Evington. Daughter Doris Daisy (born 1894) married Joseph Henderson Bell in 1918 and the following year emigrated to Canada. Next daughter Olive Louise, born on March 18th 1897 married Robert Valentine in 1924 and moved to Plympton, Devon. Middle son Alick David Jarman was born on July 19th 1899. He served in the Royal Navy during the first World War and was leading telegraphist aboard HMS Vendetta in 1919. He emigrated to Demarara, Guyana aboard RMS Ingoma in September 1931 where he became a wireless operator.

9. Clara Jarman (1865-1950)

Third daughter and ninth child of William Jarman and Mary Ann Coles was born on April 30th 1865. At the turn of the century she moved away from Cottingham and joined her older sister Mary Ann in Leicester at the house in Evington Street. She took on work as a dressmaker. The two women moved together later that decade to Hamilton Street. After Mary Ann died in the spring of 1932 Clara moved back to Northamptonshire. By 1939 she was living in Main Street, Middleton with her married sister Eliza. Clara never married. She died in the winter of 1950.

10. Ernest Jarman (1867-1872)

The seventh and last son, Ernest, was born in the spring of 1867. He spent his boyhood in the family home in Corby Road but died on September 19th 1872. The cause of death was given as "Fever remittent" (a nonspecific condition of variable high temperatures usually caused by a bacterial infection but where the actual cause has not been diagnosed (16)). He was buried on September 21st 1872

11. Eliza Jarman (1869-1940)

Last but one daughter Eliza was born on May 3rd 1869. The census of 1881 shows the 12 year old girl at home employed as the household's domestic servant. In her late teens, Eliza moved south to London where she entered formal domestic service, first as a house servant and then as a cook, in the employ of widow Albertine Augusta Briggs in Hardwick House, Chislehurst Road Richmond upon Thames. She continued in the same service with son Thomas Henry Briggs, a civil servant and senior cartographer with the Admiralty, for another ten years after the old lady died in 1903.

St Matthias

St Matthias Church, Richmond (17)

Eliza married 48 year old Frederick Biggin at St Matthias Church, Richmond upon Thames on February 5th 1919. He had been a serving soldier stationed at the time at Witley Camp in Surrey. He was born in Castle Cary in Somerset but had moved with his family when his father had set up a provisions business in Brewer's Lane in Richmond which was about a mile away from Chiselhurst Road. Before joining the Army, Frederick helped out in the shop. Following demobilisation from the Army after the first World War, Frederick spent some time as a postman. Upon retirement and before the start of the next conflict, Frederick and Eliza moved back to Middleton. In September 1939 they were living in Main Street in the village with Eliza's unmarried older sister Clara. Their next door neighbours were Anthony and Fanny Beadsworth; he was the brother of Violet Lilian Beadsworth. Frederick died in the village on November 11th 1939. Eliza lived on for almost another decade. She was admitted to the Oundle Union Workhouse where she died on May 11th 1940. In her will published on September 10th that year, she left her estate of £ 554 19s. 10d. to her younger sister Ellen's son, Kenneth Neville.

12. Ellen Elizabeth Jarman (1871-1957)

The last of the offspring of William Jarman and Mary Ann Coles, Ellen, was born in the spring of 1871. She became a machinist at the clothing factory. On August 6th 1894 she married Lewis Crane, the son of Henry Crane and Mary Sculthorpe, at St Mary Magdalene Church, witnessed by her brother John and sister Eliza. They set up home in Rockinghamd Road from where Lewis continued working as a farm labourer. A son, Kenneth Neville Crane was born on November 12th 1898. By 1911 her mother, Mary Ann, had moved in with them.

Crane Coles wedding

George Crane's son, Charles, married Frederica Freeman, 1913

They remained in Rockingham Road up to the outbreak of the second World War. Son Kenneth Neville lived next door with his wife Annie Elizabeth Goode whom he married in 1929. Annie was the daughter of William Thomas Goode who worked as the foreman on a farm. Their family lived on The Hill in Middleton in 1911. An interesting observation was that at that time a waggoner from the farm lodging with them was Frederick Crane who shared multiple relationships with this couple. He was Kenneth Neville Crane's first cousin through Henry Crane and second cousin through Thomas Coles and Susannah Claypole; and was Ellen Elizabeth Jarman's first cousin once removed. Frederick went on to marry Florence Minns in 1913. She was the daughter of Arthur Minns and Esther Goode, Annie Elizabeth Goode's aunt. The links with the Crane family are explored in "The Crane Family of Cottingham Part 2, the younger generations - those who left and those who stayed" [Article I.]

Next door to Lewis and Ellen on Rockingham Road on the other side in 1939 was Charles Lewis Crane with his wife Frederica Freeman and their son Cyril. Charles was Lewis' nephew and Ellen's first cousin once removed. Three doors away was Herbert Jarman the son of Charles Jarman and Clara Jarvis. Lewis died in the village on April 21st 1947. Ellen followed him ten years later on December 5th 1957.

The family of Charles Jarman and Clara (Jarvis) Tilley

Clara became a widow when her husband Vincent died in 1889. For nearly five years she lived with her three young children until she married Charles Jarman at the Register Office in Kettering on February 15th 1894. It was witnessed by Lewis Crane and his soon to be wife Ellen Elizabeth Jarman (Charles' sister). This took place just two weeks before the paternity case affecting Charles and Dinah Patrick was due to start. Clara and Charles were first cousins: their mothers, Matilda and Mary Ann Coles were sisters. As such they both had associations with the Claypole family through their maternal grandmother, Susannah. Charles continued to work in the village as a chimney sweep.

That same winter, her six year old son Herbert died on November 17th of typhoid fever. One of Charles' first official functions was to register the death of his young stepson. Charles and Clara had three children, two girls and a boy, of their own. In 1901, the five of them were living in the two bedroom house in Rockingham Road. 15 year old Clara Louise Tilley had been sent off into domestic service at 6 Princess Street in Leicester in the employment of the apartment's owner, widow Elizabeth Astill. It is not known the whereabouts of her sister Beatrice Edith Tilley at the turn of the century.

All three of Charles and Clara Jarman's children were still at home in 1911. Son Herbert born on June 23rd 1897, now aged 14 years, was working as an ironstone labourer. He was also the first to marry, to Florence Green from Stoke Albany. Florence was the daughter of Elizabeth Green born in 1872. After their marriage they continued to live in Rockingham Road bringing up nine children, five sons and four daughters. Younger daughter Margery Lilian was next to wed, to John Ernest Bayes in 1924. He was the son of George Ernest Bayes who had been the licencee of the Red Lion Inn in Middleton for many years. John Ernest worked in the boot and shoe trade. By 1939 they had moved to Naseby Road, Kettering. Margery died on July 13th 1942. John Ernest lived on there for another 30 years, dying on November 10th 1969.

Red Lion

The Red Lion, Middleton from an old postcard

Elsie Eleanor, the older of the two daughters, was born on August 9th 1894. She married Frank Herbert Tilley from Market Harborough in 1925. Frank Tilley's line traces back to the beginning of the eighteenth century in the Market Harborough area. No direct link has yet been found to the Cottingham Tilleys although one of Frank's uncles, William Tilley did manage a bakery in Main Street, Middleton in the early 1880s. Frank was initially a house painter but by the outbreak of the second World War he had become a haulage contractor. The couple settled on Lubenham Hill, Market Harborough.

Charles Jarman died in the spring of 1924; Clara died on September 19th 1925, the cause of death being certified as auricular fibrillation.

The family of Vincent Alfred Tilley and Clara Jarvis

Clara Louisa Tilley (1886-1959)

Clara Louisa, the younger of Vincent Alfred Tilley's daughters, was born on December 7th 1885. After what must have been a turbulent childhood, the death of her father, the remarriage of her mother, the death of her younger brother, she had moved on to Leicester by the turn of the century. She was employed as a domestic servant by widow and apartment owner Elizabeth Astill at 6 Princess Street which was close by the New Walk Museum and Art Gallery.

Whilst in Leicester she met mechanic William Hoyland. The couple went back to Cottingham where, on April 20th 1908, they were married at St Mary Magdalene Church, the service witnessed by her sister Beatrice Edith and her stepfather Charles Jarman. Upon their return to Leicester they set up home in Twycross Street in Highfields which ran east from Gopsall Street. Clara's sister Beatrice joined them for a time in 1911.

A daughter they named Beatrice May was born on February 13th 1909. A son, Herbert, joined them on September 10th 1913. William Hoyland died in the early months of 1933 after which Clara Louisa moved to Harlaxton Street off Narborough Road in the West End of the City. Beatrice May married Michael Evans, manager at a hosiery factory, in 1929. They too moved to Harlaxton Street about four doors away from her mother. Herbert Hoyland married Vera Price in 1939. A lithographic print machine minder, they lived in Blaby on the outskirts of the city. They had two children but son Herbert died within weeks of birth in 1946. Clara Louisa died in Leicester in 1953 .

Beatrice Edith Tilley (1884-1965)

Beatrice Edith was the older of the daughters of Vincent Alfred Tilley and Clara Jarvis, born on August 29th 1883. Little is known of her early life apart from the death of her father and little brother and her mother's remarriage. She left the family home before the turn of the century and followed her sister Clara Louisa to Leicester. She gained employment as a cook and lived for a time in Twycross Street.

William Craxford was born in Cottingham on May 27th 1885 the son of John Craxford and Sarah Anne Claypole, Sarah Ann was third cousin once removed both to Clara Jarvis and Charles Jarman. At the time of his birth the family was living in Barrack Yard off Blind Lane. He had an older brother, James Ernest, and three older sisters (a fourth sister Florence had died at the age of two years of epileptic convulsions the year before he was born.) There was a much older half sister who lived with his Claypole grandparents in Blind Lane. She married in 1890 and moved to Kent. There was also a tragic half brother who had been murdered aged 6 years by Henry Crane, the next door neighbour on May 1st 1875, ten years before William was born ("Death for threeha'p'orth of suckers" [ARTICLE J.].

Arthur Beadsworth
Louisa Craxford
Sarah Anne Craxford
Thomas Tansley

Arthur Beadsworth; Louisa Craxford; Sarah Anne Craxford; Thomas Charles Tansley

Louisa Craxford (October 1877) married Arthur Beadsworth on December 29th 1902, witnessed by Ernest Edward, Arthur's brother and Laura Emily Binley, the daughter of Jeffrey Binley and Caroline Tansley. They ultimately had ten children. Their eldest daughter married Leonard Crane whose father Charles married Alice Rebecca Beadsworth (Arthur's first cousin) and whose grandfather was Henry Crane's brother, Amos.

Sarah Ann Craxford (December 1879) married Thomas Charles Tansley on August 7th 1899. He was second cousin, once removed to Laura Emily Binley. Their marriage was witnessed by her brother James Ernest and sister Henrietta Craxford. They had three sons and a daughter. Henrietta Craxford (1874) sued for an Affiliation Order in front of the Kettering Police Court in September 1900 in respect of her own illegitimate son but the case was dismissed (18).

William Craxford

William Craxford in uniform

William Craxford started off working as a farm labourer but by the early 1900s he had moved to Leicester. Perhaps inspired by David Jarman, he enrolled as Constable PC168 on July 7th 1907 with the Leicester Borough Constabulary. Together with his now married brother they set up home in Samuel Street, just west of the main railway station.. Beatrice Edith Tilley and William Craxford were married in Cottingham on June 12th 1912, witnessed by Elsie Eleanor Jarman (her half sister) and Herbert Jarman (her half brother). After they were married they moved about a mile to the east to Devana Road. Near neighbours there were Percy James Chamberlain and his wife Louisa Kate Burr. Percy's grandmother was Elizabeth Tilley who was Beatrice's great aunt and his grandfather was brickworks owner John Neville Chamberlain who had provided employment for many of the Jarman clan and others over the years. Percy's father, also named John Chamberlain, was the owner of the fateful shop involved in the 1875 murder.

William and Beatrice had two daughters: Iris born in 1913 and Joan born in 1920. William received his pension on July 26th 1933 after 26 years service. Prior to the outbreak of the second World War, they moved again around the block to Conway Road. At the same time about half a mile away in Mayflower Road lived David Jarman's son Frederick William with his wife and son. Beatrice Edith died on March 19th 1965. William was admitted to Leicester General Hospital just under two years later and died on January 14th 1967.

Finale

In 1987, Beatrice Edith's daughter wrote a letter to her cousin George which included the line "Grandma Craxford found the poor child hanging behind the door with his throat cut." [Article K.] The rest, as they say, is history - and this website ...

Acknowledgements

The authors would like to express their thanks for the help, comments and suggestions from the following in the construction of this article: Lois Edwards, Assistant Archivist, The Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland, Contributors to the Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Nottinghamshire Forums (including Jonw65, Larkspur, MaureeninNYMedpat and Posie99} at RootsChat.Com;

Links to the articles mentioned in the text are in italic capitals below:

Article A: Four Tilley families in Cottingham. A History of the Tilley Family: Cottingham Part 1, the early generations
Article B: Tilleys stay and Tilleys leave A History of the Tilley Family: Cottingham Part 2a, the family of James and Martha Tilley.
Article C:. Falling foul of the Game Laws The Crane family of Cottingham. Part 1:Victim or Villain?
Article D:. Account of the Claypole family before and after World War I The Sorrows of Mary Atkins
Article E: Another local family with a shared history The Gretton Craxfords: Exodus II: All sorts of Liquorish.
Article F:. It is not known how or where Caroline met her future husband, Enos Jackson, or why she left her employment in Rutland. The Gretton Craxfords: Chronicles II - Enos and Caroline
Article G: The souls between Blind Lane and Corby Road The Barrack Yard Preservation Society.
Article H: Shopkeeping in Church Street Elizabeth Tilley and the grocery connection.
Article I: The Crane family of Cottingham Part 2: The Younger Generations - Those who left and those who stayed.
Article J:. The murder of Thomas Cristopher Claypole Death for threeha'p'orth of suckers
Article K:. The letter which prompted a website Murder most foul?? In Cottingham???

References

1. The Game Laws: Kettering Petty Sessions. November 29th 1844: Leicester Chronicle Saturday December 14th 1844 The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
2. Killing his Lorsdhip's hare: Kettering Petty Sessions Kettering March 9th 1855: Leicestershire Mercury Page 3 Saturday March 17th 1855 The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
3. Family tree graphic: Freeware Graphics: Vintage Kin Design Studio Australia
4. The Methodists from Religious Growth: History of Hucknall Torkard by J H Beardsmore (1909) at Nottinghamshire History
5. The United Methidist Trinity Church in Non-conformists Hucknall Torkard History: The website of local historian Maureen Newton
6. HMHS Letitia (1912) at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7. Photograph: St Leonards on Sea, Sussex: The Church of St Ethelburga © Patrick Roper, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
8. Photograph: The Old Rectory, Brampton Ash © Richard Croft, on Geograph and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
9. 'The White House', 'Corby Road', 'The Nook': Photographs from Cottinghamhistory.co.uk A history of the village of Cottingham, Northamptonshire. Reproduced with permission .
10. by Rudyard Kipling: The Poetry Foundation
11. 2nd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment at Lucknow Kipling poem query Victorian Wars Forum; British Military Campaigns From 1837 to 1902
12. Grantham Borough Police Court: Indecent Assault charge: The Journal. Saturday June 21st 1884. The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
13. Daniel Lambert Inn: Corner of Albion Street and Dover Street. Photograph by Dennis Calow about 1960 Leicester Group of the Victorian Society
14. Theft: Kettering Petty Sessions: Northampton Mercury December 22nd 1888 The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
15. Paternity Case: Mary Patrick, widow v Charles Jarman Kettering Divisional Petty Sessions: Northampton Mercury: Friday March 2nd, March 23rd and 30th 1894. The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
16. Fever, Remittent at MedicineNet.
17. Photograph: St Matthias Church, Richmond upon Thames, Surrey © Amandajm on Wikimedia Commos and licenced for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
18. Affiliation Order dismissed: Kettering Police Coourt. Northampton Evening Telegraph September 26th 1900 The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.

Please contact us

email If you have any questions or comments about the information on this site in general, or you have further information regarding this article, please Get in touch by leaving a message in our Guestbook. If you don't want the message to be added to the Guestbook, just say that in your text. We look forward to hearing from you.



Page added: August 11th 2019


Return to Top of Page

Translate this page:


SSL Certificate

Internet Beacon Diamond Site - 2010

© The Craxford Family Genealogy Magazine and individual copyright holders.
Edited and maintained by Alan D. Craxford 2005 - 2019. All rights reserved. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.
You are not authorized to add this page or any images from this page to Ancestry.com (or its subsidiaries) or other fee-paying sites without our express permission and then, if given, only by including our copyright and a URL link to the web site.

Search the Craxford Family Magazine powered by FreeFind
Optimal screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 and above
This page has been designed to display on mobile phone screens
- landscape orientation recommended

Hosted By eUKhost logo UK Web Hosting and

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 10.1.3cx, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2019.

****