The Craxford Family Magazine Olive Pages

{$text['mgr_olive1']} Rutland 3

Charles William Craxford: A Victorian photographer

by Ivor Craxford, Jeremy Craxford and Alan D. Craxford

Introduction

Charles William Craxford

Charles William Craxford

Charles William Craxford was born on August 9th 1862 in Derby but could trace his ancestry back through the village of Barrowden in Rutland to Gretton on the other side of the River Welland in Northamptonshire. His grandparents, Robert Craxford and Harriett Cotterill, had seven children and Charles' father, William was the older of two sons. Much of William's tragically short life can be found in the section The Marine and Railwayman of the Chapter "From Gretton to Barrowden 2: From Craxford to Wainwright and beyond" and is reinforced in a letter written in 1945 by Charles' sister Lizzie which is reproduced elsewhere on this site ("A letter to Henry Craxford").

William Craxford had enlisted in the Royal Marines and had spent nearly five years aboard HMS Plumper which was involved in the surveying of Vancouver Island off the southernmost part of the west coast of Canada. Immediately after his discharge from the Navy he initially returned home to Barrowden to work in a small bakery there, probably with John Wignell, his sister Lucy's husband. However, he found he did not suit this type of work and within a few months he moved on to take a job with the Midland Railway Company at Chaddesden Sidings just to the north east of Derby Station. It was there that he married 29 year old Harriet Wild at Christ Church, Derby on October 21st 1861. One of Harriet's sisters acted as a witness.

Harriet was born in Derby in 1831, the daughter of Thomas Wild, a weaver, and Hannah Sumner. She had two sisters, Elizabeth (born 1829) and Hannah (born 1837) and a brother, George (born 1835). When Thomas died in 1840, Hannah, who was working as a laundress, and her children moved in with Thomas' brother, William and his family in Burton Road, Derby. William worked as a silk throwster (a textile worker who attended a machine that twisted together silk fibres into yarn.) Hannah remarried on September 4th 1842 at St Werberghs Church, Spondon, Derby. Her new husband was widower George Morris. With his three children they remained at 39 Burton Road whilst William Wild had moved his family to St John Street in the town.

Towards the end of the decade, William Craxford was offered a better position as the foreman of a goods depot at Wolverhampton. He and Harriet made their home in Frederick Street in the Wednesfield district of the town. It was there that daughter Lizzie was born on January 16th 1870. Soon after they moved again to Inkerman Street. Disaster struck the following year when an epidemic of smallpox raged through the West Midlands and hit Wolverhampton badly. William was affected and died of the disease on December 28th 1871.

St Mary's Gate

St Mary's Gate Chapel (5)

Harriet's older sister, Elizabeth, married William Band, a tin plate worker, in the autumn of 1851 at St Mary's Gate Baptist Chapel. The chapel had been established in 1841 from the conversion of a handsome and imposing mansion in the centre of the town. Almost immediately after their marriage, William and Elizabeth emigrated to America where they settled in the small town of Metamora, Illinois. They had three children but sadly two year old daughter Hannah died on February 24th 1856 and son Edward died on July 3rd 1861. During the American Civil War (1861 - 1865) William enlisted with the 108th Regiment Illinois Infantry on August 28th 1862, the day it was mustered (2, 3). He was assigned to Company 'E' and reached the rank of corporal but was discharged on February 26th 1863 because of an unspecified disabilty (4). William died suddenly on March 26th 1869. He and the two children are commemorated on memorials at Oakwood Cemetery in the town. Elizabeth had the following inscription carved on William's memorial: This monument is raised by an afflicted wife in deep sorrowful and affectionate remembrance. William M. Band, who fell asleep in Jesus in the 40th year of his age. Later that year, Elizabeth and her surviving daughter Harriet returned to England, taking up a house in Crosby Street near the centre of Derby. Now widowed for a second time, her mother Hannah came to join them.

Charles was nine years old when his father died. After her husband's death, Harriet took baby Lizzie with her back to Derby, to live with her mother and sisters, Elizabeth Band and Hannah Wild for a few months. In the following year Harriet moved to 172 Parliament Street, a five minute walk away from her sisters. In 1873, Elizabeth Band's daughter Harriet died of tuberculosis at the age of 15 years. Harriet was present when she died and recorded the death. Charles in the meantime went to stay with his uncle George Wild in Birmingham who owned a barber's salon. It is thought that George had expressed an interest in teaching this occupation to the young lad. It is not known how much hands-on training or influence George actually imparted but by the time of the census of 1881 the 19 year old Charles was living at 59, Saltley Road, Aston in Birmingham with the family of hairdresser William F Ingram. Ingram had declared that he employed one youth in his business. Charles was working as both domestic servant and hairdresser's assistant.

Harriett's sisters, Elizabeth Band and Hannah Wild continued sharing a house together in Upper Boundary Road, Derby. Hannah never married. Whilst Elizabeth found work as a dressmaker, Hannah became a 'monthly nurse' (someone who looked after a mother and new baby in the first few weeks of its life). Elizabeth finally died aged 75 years on May 13th 1913. Hannah lived through the years of World War I and died in 1919 aged 82.

The 'Irvingites' [Further Reading A, B, C]

Edward Irving was born in Annan, Scotland in 1792. Initially a member of the Presbyterian Church from whom he received a licence to preach, he moved to London where he became a notable and outspoken preacher. He practiced from a church built for him in Regent Square. He espoused an evangelical view that the Christian faith was interdenominational. It had started as a single entity but through time the various churches had become sectarian and had broken away from this ideal. The church should now unify and should prepare for the 'Second Advent' - the second coming of Christ. He believed that there would be a revival of 'the miraculous gifts of the Spirit in the Church'. This was apparently borne out in the early 1830s with reports of the appearance of clusters of congregations speaking in tongues, prophesying and performing spiritual healing. Starting on the West coast of Scotland among Presbyterians, similar events were seen amongst members of the Church of England in London, Protestants in France and early Quakers. Supported by banker and Member of Parliament, Henry Drummond, Irving organised a series of conferences at Albury Park in Surrey on the interpretation of biblical prophecy and how these manifestations were signs of 'the Spirit of God using the organs of speech for utterances of his thoughts and intentions' and confirmed a second coming was imminent. Members of the established church doubted the authenticity of these reports and took exception to the views expressed. Irving was expelled from Regent Sqaure and was deposed from the ministry.

Irving and Drummond continued to hold services and moved to a hall in Newman Street found by a recent member, John Bate Cardale. Irving died in December 1834, but the movement continued to expand on Irving's teachings and develop its own heirarchy. This was encapsulated in the view that 'the Lord, who will soon appear in glory, has graciously begun to restore his one true church'. The running of the church in general was under the control of twelve apostles, under whom were prophets and evangelists. Each specific church was run by an 'Angel' (the equivalent of a bishop), ministers or priests and deacons. The first declared apostle was John Bate Cardale himself under whose influence many of the further developments took place. Initially referred to as 'The Irvingites', the organisation adopted the title 'the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, London: The Central Church' which became abbreviated to 'Catholic Apostolic Church'.

Cardale pulled together aspects and practices from many different demoninations. The Order of Service was based on an amalgam of the Book of Common Prayer, the Roman Missal and ancient liturgies. Stone altars and pulpits were placed in churches and ministers wore vestments. His reasoning for this was that the Christian Church had begun as a single organisation and should be brought back to its original set up under Christ. Cardale also believed that the twelve new apostles had received their calling direct from God and as such, there was no need to make provision for replacements. This had led to a split in the organisation in the 1860s, the breakaway being called the New Catholic Apostoloic Church which is still operational at Albury today. However, nine of the apostles had died by 1876 and the last, Francis Valentine Woodhouse, on February 3rd 1901, after which no new Angels or ministers could be appointed.

It is particularly noteworthy that officers of the church came from many backgrounds. Cardale himself was a Bloomsbury solicitor. The first Angel in London, Christopher Heath, was a former dentist. Angels were appointed to their position by an apostle; church ministers were confirmed by their Angel.

The Craxford family in Yorkshire

Park Row
St Ann's Church
The barber's shop, Bridge End, Leeds 1904

Three views of Leeds: Left: Park View; Centre: St Ann'e Church; Right: Bridge End (7)

Harriet remarried at St Luke's Church Derby on April 6th 1874. Her new husband was 22 year old William Robinson from Hawes, in North Yorkshire. William's father, Henry, was a tailor working in Leeds. In 1871, William had been apprenticed to draper William Carter in Masham, North Yorkshire. After the wedding, William, Harriet and Lizzie moved from Derby to Leeds: their initial accommodation was at 5 Bridge End (a trade directory listed this address as Mrs Emma Jowett's dining rooms). William was employed as a tailor's manager. By 1891 they had relocated to 12 Bridge End and William had become the proprietor of his own business: William Henry Robinson, tailor and clothier at 32 Bridge End (6).

Leeds Bridge crosses the River Aire in the centre of Leeds. The original medieval bridge replaced a ferry and became the site of a wool and cloth market in the seventeenth century. The bridge was replaced by a cast iron structure in 1870. Bridge End is the roadway crossing the bridge. In 1888 a very short, two second film entitled Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge was made by French Inventor, Louis Le Prince. It is reputed to be one of the earliest pieces of film ever made using a film and a single lens camera. The film was taken from 19 Bridge End, Hicks the Ironmongers. The bridge carries a commemorative blue plaque of the event. About nine years later, a much longer and better quality piece of film was taken from a similar location. This is now available on Youtube.

Access the Youtube segment Leeds Bridge 1897: British Movietone

The photograph above right was taken on December 1st 1904 during the Swinegate and Sovereign Street Improvement. The view was taken from Leeds Bridge westward and shows number 16, Craxford hairdressers and number 18 Samuel Wainwright, cricket bat manufacturer, Bridge End as well as the backs of Nettleton the joiner and Henderson plumbers merchants on Tenter Lane. These premises had wooden outbuildings built onto piles sunk into the River Aire.


Charles the family man

The congregation of the Catholic Apostolic Church was established in Leeds in the late 1860s and almost immediately plans were made to build its own church. Initial plans were drawn by John Belcher, architect, for a rather grandiose structure in Gothic Revival style. The church, of somewhat more modest proportions, opened in Cromer Road on Saturday November 20th 1886 and received its certification to solemnize marriages four days later.(8, 9). The minister performing the ceremony was James Thonger (1838 - 1918) who was born in Stourbridge, Worcestershire. He moved to Leeds in 1866, practicing as an architect and surveyor. After he retired he had become a minister with the church and then Angel of the church in Leeds. Charles Craxford married Emily Jane Turner at the church on December 27th 1886, therefore being one of the first ceremonies to take place in the new building. James Thonger officiated. Emily's brother and sister were present acting as witnesses.

The peak of the Church's popularity in Yorkshire was around the 1880s-1890s, with meetings also held in Skipton, Shipley, Hebden Bridge, Heckmondwike and Sowerby Bridge. The Bradford church separated from Leeds in 1887 establishing dependencies in Cleckheaton, Keighley, Huddersfield, Halifax and Brighouse.

Catholic Apostolic Church, Cromer Road

Catholic Apostolic Church, Leeds (11)

Born on August 5th 1861, Emily was the daughter of John Turner and Sarah Stead. John, who had died before his daughter married, had been a brush maker in the town. Emily had a brother, William Greenwood Turner, who was one year older than her. He started work as a travelling salesman for an ironworks firm but later became a book keeper. It appears the Turner family were early devotees of the church in Yorkshire. William married Frances Mary Jones on March 24th 1881 at the church's original venue in St James Street, Leeds. William took up the ministry himself and by 1891 had moved to Batley, West Yorkshire. The Catholic Apostolic Church in the town was built in Upper Howard Street and had received its certification to solemnize marriages on December 18th 1895 (10)

Charles spent his working life as a hairdresser in Leeds. Kelly's directory of 1888 shows his salon to be 16 Bridge End (West Side) (5). The census return of 1891 (where he is listed as Chas W Croxford) finds Charles and Emily living at 112 Fenton Street with their seven month old daughter, Florence. Just over three years later twins (Henry and Nellie) were born on May 7th 1894. Although no official record has been found to date, it is presumed that the three children were baptised at Cromer Road. By the turn of the century the family had moved house again to 13 Winfield Road in Leeds. For some months, Emily's health had been failing due to pulmonary tuberculosis. Tragedy struck on March 28th 1902 when Emily died, finally exhausted by the disease.

Charles remarried on December 27th 1904, his new bride the 26 year old Elizabeth Rowell Robson. The marriage took placed at the Catholic Apostolic Church, again presided over by minister James Thonger. Elizabeth was the daughter of Robert Robson and Elizabeth Henderson Rowell. Robert had been a building contractor in Birtley near Chester-le-Street, County Durham but by 1891 he had taken up the managership of a public house in Leazes Crescent Newcastle upon Tyne. At the time of the wedding Charles and Elizabeth were living at 16 Royal Park Avenue where she was described as a housekeeper. It seems likely that the couple had met when they were both part of the church congregation. Little more is known of Elizabeth and mysteriously there are no further details of her in the records. Charles was to have no more children.

By 1911 Charles had moved his family again, this time to 14 Wrangthorn Terrace in the Hyde Park Area of Leeds. Charles continued to work in the city as a hairdresser. He retired at the beginning of 1932. He died just five years later. He had appointed his two daughters to be his joint executrixes. His effects were divided between the three children in his will with the specific bequests of a chest of drawers to Henry, a full size oak bedstead to Florence and the remainder of his household effects to Nellie.

The next generation

Henry, Florence and Nellie

Florence, Henry (in RASC uniform) and Nellie Craxford about 1915

Florence (1890 - 1971)

Harewood Barracks

Harewood Barracks, Leeds (12)

Florence Craxford was born on September 9th 1890 when her parents were living at 112 Fenton Street. The house was in the northern part of the city in an area behind the General Infirmary. It was also close to the site of the Harewood Barracks which was the headquarters of the Army Service Corps (Territorials) and the 1st West Riding (Leeds) Volunteers (12). Recruits were mobilised there in 1914 before service in the war.

As a young woman, Florence trained to become a milliner. On April 22nd 1914, she married Frank Percival Field in a service at St Augustine's Anglican Church, Wrangthorn. Frank was the youngest of three sons of John Charles Field (a Troop sergeant major with the British Army) and Jane Bell. He was born on February 22nd 1889 at Naas, County Kildare whilst his father was stationed in Ireland. Within two years the family had been moved to Llanrhydd, Denbighshire, North Wales and Frank received his first taste of education at Rhos Street Board School in Ruthin as a four year old. By the turn of the century his father had left the Army. The family moved to Leeds where he took a job as a hall porter. Frank's mother died in 1907 and his father obtained a job at an Iron Works in Bradford. He died in 1913.

By 1914, Frank had learned to drive and was employed as a chauffeur. He was living at the Golden Fleece Inn at Harden, a village on the outskirts of Bradford at the time of his wedding. The Marriage Banns were read on three consecutive Sundays commencing March 29th 1914 at St Saviour's Church, Harden. Frank enlisted in the Army during the war. At the beginning of September 1915 he joined the Army Service Corps No 1 Reserve Mechanised Transport Depot at Grove Park, London, becoming private M2/120081. No records of his service remain apart from the note that at the end of hostilities he was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Frank and Florence had three daughters: Kathleen (born 1916), Dorothy (born (1918) and Margaret (born 1926). Back in civilian life, Frank returned to commercial driving for a living. The family remained in Leeds and had moved to Stainbeck Terrace in the Chapel Allerton district of the city by the outbreak of the second World War. Frank died on March 2nd 1958. Florence lived on for another thirteen years.

Henry (1894 - 1980)

Henry grew to manhood of medium stature, being 5 feet 7½ inches tall and weighing 10 stones. By the time the family had moved to Wrangthorn Terrace, Henry was employed at the hall in Kirby Misperton (19) as a chauffeur. At the outbreak of the war, he enlisted with the Army Service Corps (Private M2/021641) on December 9th 1914. After basic training he embarked at Avonmouth on December 19th 1914 for the four day journey to Rouen. During the spring and summer of 1915 he was posted to the 1st Auxillary Mechanical Transport Company, then the 358th (3rd Heavy Repair Shop) and 319th MT Company before finding a billet with the 317th MT Company at Abbeville. From there he was moved to the 318th MT Company which provided local transport facilities around Boulogne.

Cars 1

Examples of vehicles used by the Army Service Corps 1: Staff Cars (13)


Cars 2

Examples of vehicles used by the Army Service Corps 2: Light Armoured Cars (14, 15)


His service record notes that he was the driver of two vehicles (Staff car M570 and a lightly armoured Ford Box Car M25333) during parts of his attachments. On three occasions he found himself in trouble, charged with negligently failing to service and maintain the vehicle. On March 10th 1917 he was transferred to the Anti Aircraft Group at the Headquarters of the British 3rd Army firstly at Albert on the Somme and then to Beauquesne, which lay a few miles north of the town of Amiens.

Henry regularly wrote postcards back home to his father throughout the war wherever he was stationed. Whilst still in France he contracted influenza on January 3rd 1919 and was evacuated to the Army Medical facility at Sobhill Hospital, Glasgow. He spent 46 days in hospital but, unlike so many affected by this pandemic, he did make a complete recovery. He was assessed by a Medical Review Board but was found to have no residual disability and was transferred to the Class Z Army Reserve list (18) on April 3rd 1919. He was awarded three service medals: the 1914 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. His war service is commemorated on the memorial plaque inside St Laurence's Church in Kirby Misperton.


The War Memorial panel,  St Laurence Church, Kirby Misperton, North Yorkshire
Detail from panel

The War Memorial (and detail), St Laurence Church, Kirby Misperton, N Yorks


Pannel Station

The railway station, Pannal, near Harrogate

Unidentified church

Pannal church

After his demobilisation, Henry returned to his work as a chauffeur. He married Elsie Dickson at St Robert's Church, Pannal on June 12th 1926. She had been born on April 8th 1903, the younger daughter of George Dickson and Annie Ellen Hodgson. George worked as a railway signalman at Pannal Railway Station. The couple settled in Pannal. Before the second World War broke out they were living at 7 Mill Lane in the town. Their first daughter, Christine, was born in 1927 but tragically was killed at the age of three in a road traffic accident when she was struck by a Post Office van. A son, Ivor, followed in 1932 and a daughter, Muriel was born in 1938. In the 1950s, Henry and Elsie moved to Follifoot, a village on the southern edge of Harrogate and about 3 miles east of Pannal, first to Hillside and then to Forge Gardens. Henry died in 1980. Elsie survived him by 15 years.

Nellie (1894 - 1950)

St Augustine

St Augustine, Wrangthorn (16)

Nellie with cat

Nellie with Cissie

In her teens, Henry's twin, Nellie, became a sales assistant at a stationer's shop but at the time of the census of 1911 she was out of work. She continued to live at home at Wrangthorn Terrace throughout the war years. She married Frederick Charles Gaunt at St Augustine's Church, Wrangthorn on September 12th 1921. Frederick was the third son (of five) of Frederick William Gaunt (an inspector of retail shop hours) and Lydia Mary Russell. Frederick was born on April 26th 1895 in Kirkstall, a suburb to the north west of Leeds. His older sister, Elsie Rebecca, became a school teacher, but like his brothers Frederick's earlier years were spent in junior clerical posts. The family were living in Hyde Park Road in 1911 and Frederick was employed as a warehouseman for an umbrella manufacturer.

Frederick and Nellie had three children: two daughters, Edna (born 1922) and Florence (born 1929) and a son Kenneth (born 1926). In the inter-war years Frederick practiced his trade as a master painter and decorator. By the time of the outbreak of the second World War the family were living at 58, Austhorpe Road, Leeds. After the war, they moved to Whitkirk, on the easetrn edge of the city and Frederick spent some time as a civil servant. Nellie died in 1965 in St James Hospital, Leeds. Frederick was 76 years of age when he died in 1971.


Continued in column 2...

An album of the photographer's work

Charles was an enthusiastic photographer and has left behind a wealth of portraits and studies of his family (particularly his children) as well as many pictures of the town and countryside of Yorkshire. He seemed particularly to enjoy the woods and hills of the Yorkshire dales. There is also a series of scenes around York.

Considering the prevailing conditions when these photographs were taken (the encumbrance of the equipment, the paucity of transport) they represent a treasure trove of images of a bygone era.


Rural scene 1
Rural scene 2

Two idyllic rural scenes



Walmgate York
Shambles York

Two views of York Left: Walmgate Bar; Right: The Shambles



Stairfoot Cottage
Adel

Left: Stairfoot Cottage; Right: Adel Church; both near Leeds



Bramham
Woodhouse

Left: Bramham Village; Right: Woodhouse Ridge, Leeds



King Lane
Oakfield Cottage

Left: "White Cottage", a 400 year old crofter's cottage; Right: Oakfield Cottage, King Lane


He also took many portraits of his children, Henry, Florence and Nellie, especially in the woods and fields around their home.

Charles with Florence
Elizabeth with daughters Florence and Nellie

Left: Charles, with daughter Florence; Right: Emily with Florence and Nellie



Family study

The children are happy swinging on the gate. We believe this also shows Charles first wife, Emily



Family at play
Family at play 2

Play among the flowers



Henry and Nellie at play
Family at play
The children - a woodland scene

Left: Florence and Henry; Centre: The family at Bolton Woods; Right: A woodland scene





Shaved same men for 40 years: Veteran Barber (17)

The following section is a transcription of a newspaper testimonial published on the occasion of Charles' retirement from his barber's practice.

(From The Yorkshire Evening Post Thursday January 7th 1932)

Changes in streams over and under Leeds Bridge

Charles Craxford, photographer

Charles Craxford, in his natural habitat

Two or three customers of over 40 years standing have already called on Mr Charles William Craxford this week, and one or two more of equally long standing are expected before the week is out. They will then have had their last shave at the hands of Mr. Craxford, for this coming weekend he is to retire, after having carried on his barber's business at Bridge End, Leeds, for 48 years.

Mr. Craxford can tell of many changes he has noticed during the 46 years of peeps through his window at the murky Aire and the swift tide of humanity that passes over Leeds Bridge. "Traffic on the bridge and under the bridge has vastly changed while I have been here" he told a representative of The Yorkshire Evening Post today. "The two main changes on the bridge have been the gradual disappearance of the horses and the thinning of the crowds of pedestrians. Look out now! There are plenty of people walking over the bridge, but not the numbers there used to be. Most people come over today in trams or 'buses. And the traffic under the bridge? Well, there used to be many a cargo of nuts and other raw materials for dye making go up the river, but I do not see them now; while boats laden with wringing machines often came past on their way to Hull. Nowadays the traffic seems mainly confined to coal."

Bats and Seagulls

"Another change," continued Mr Craxford, "has been the disappearance of bats. Years ago we often saw them flying about the river on a summer evening. We still have the seagulls, however. Take no notice of the people, who say that seagulls inland portend bad weather. You can see them round my window every day the year round."

One of Mr Craxford's chief joys in life is to tramp Yorkshire. Throughout his busy 48 years he has been able to walk for very little more than holiday weekends at a time, but the distances he has covered rouse the envy of many a tourist with more time to spare. "I think there is no place of scenic interest in Yorkshire that I have not visited," he says, "but I like especially the wild, remote regions. One of my last walks was from Thirsk to Robin Hood's Bay. I hope to have a few more jaunts like that, now that I shall have more opportunities."


Further Reading

[A]: The Catholic Apostolic Church (Called Irvingites) at the Bible Hub website. This website contains a portrait of Edward Irving which was written towards the end of the nineteenth century. It also includes an account written by Rev. W W Andrews of Wethersfield, Connecticut of his experiences of the Catholic Apostolic Church. The article lists a number of references for contemporary material about leading figures of the movement, its catechism and its detractors.
[B]: The UCL Bloomsbury Project: Bloomsbury Institutions The Catholic Apostolic Church also known as University Church of Christ the King. Details the history of the building in Gordon Square and its relevance to the Bloomsbury district. It includes:.
[C]: Manfred Henke's monograph The Catholic Apostolic Church and its Gordon Square Cathedral: Bloomsbury, the 'Irvingites' and the Catholic Apostolic Church. Henke gives an up to date considered view of the foundation, development, heirarchy, beliefs and ultimate demise of this distinctly Protestant sect. He also makes reference to a fuller biography of the life of Edward Irving, Shooting Star in a Presbyterian Pulpit by Barbara Waddington:.


Glossary

Class Z Reserve (18): Authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.


A vote of thanks

The authors would like to express their thanks for the help, comments and suggestions from the following in the construction of this article: Contributors to the Yorkshire (West Riding) and Handwriting Deciphering Forums (including BumbleB, carolanne, crowsfeet, jay55 and jennifer c) at RootsChat.Com; Contributors to The Great War Forum including kenf48, Lancashire Fusilier and sotonmate.


Footnote (19)

Kirby Misperton Hall was built in the early 19th century in the reign of King George III as the home for the Blomberg family and contained extensive grounds and a lake. In 1903 it was bought by Colonel Twentyman who developed Chinese gardens and Italian piazzas within the grounds by employing artisans from both countries. In 1960 the estate was sold and converted into a zoo which has continued to expand and develop into the present day Flamingo Land Park.


References

1. Band family memorials: Photographs 57788193; 57788435 by Deb McCallister at Find A Grave
2. 108th Regiment, Illinois Infantry Battle Unit Details: Union Illinois Volunteers The Civil War. The National Park Service, US Department of the Interior.
3. 108th Illinois Infantry, Regiment History Adjutant General's Report The Illinois USGenWeb Project
4. William Band's service record Company "E" 108th Illinois Infantry Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report. The Illinois USGenWeb Project
5. Lost Houses January 29th, 2014 St Mary's Gate Baptist Church Derby Country Images Magazine
6. White's Directory of the City of Leeds (Forming Part of the Clothing District Directory) 1894 Historical Directories of England & Wales Special Collections University of Leicester
7. Bridge End, Leeds, 1904 Leeds Library and Information Service Photograph no: 1971 © Leeds Library and Information Service reproduced with kind permission
8. Opening of a new Catholic Apostolic Church in Leeds: Leeds Mercury Monday November 22nd 1886. The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
9. Notice of certification for solemnization of marriages Catholic Apostolic Church, Cromer Street, Leeds Page 7, The London Gazette January 4th 1887.
10. Notice of certification for solemnization of marriages Catholic Apostolic Church, Upper Howard Street, Batley Page 7434, The London Gazette December 24th 1895.
11. Catholic Apostolic Church, Cromer Road, Leeds 1947 Photograph no: 7042 © Leeds Library and Information Service
12. Harewood Barracks, Woodhouse Lane Photograph no: 6901 © Leeds Library and Information Service
13. Photograph Staff car showing War Derpartment census number RASC MT Corps vehicles in The Great War Forum
14. Photograph Daimler Box Car in Historic Military Vehicle Forum
15. Photograph Light Armoured Car British Expeditionary Force Landships II
16. St Augustine of Hippo Church, Wrangthorn: The Churches of Great Britain and Ireland. (c) Gerard Charmley; reproduced with permission.
17. Shaved the same men for 40 years: Report on the retirement of Charles W Craxford The Yorkshire Evening Post Thursday January 7th 1932 The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
18. Reserves and reservists The Long, Long Trail The British Army of 1914-1918 for Family Historians.
19. A Ryedale village with a fascinating history Kirby Misperton in the spotlight Natalya Wilson, Gazette and Herald Wednesday December 29th 2010




IN MEMORIAM

†   IVOR CRAXFORD   †
Jun 17, 1932 - Sep 16, 2010

This page is dedicated to his memory

Please contact us

email If you have any questions or comments about the information on this site in general, or you have further information regarding this article, please Get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.


Added: September 4th 2005
Rewritten: January 14th 2016


Return to Top of Page

Translate this page:


SSL Certificate

Internet Beacon Diamond Site - 2010

© The Craxford Family Genealogy Magazine and individual copyright holders.
Edited and maintained by Alan D. Craxford 2005 - 2019. All rights reserved. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.
You are not authorized to add this page or any images from this page to Ancestry.com (or its subsidiaries) or other fee-paying sites without our express permission and then, if given, only by including our copyright and a URL link to the web site.

Search the Craxford Family Magazine powered by FreeFind
Optimal screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 and above
This page has been designed to display on mobile phone screens
- landscape orientation recommended
Hosted By eUKhost logo UK Web Hosting and

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 10.1.3cx, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2019.

****