The Craxford Family Magazine Red Pages

{$text['mgr_red1']} Cottingham 2.6.2

The Cottingham Tansleys 1: Brother James and Sister Comfort

by Alan D Craxford and Janice Binley

Introduction

Other articles within the website which relate to particular aspects of this story are noted within square brackets in the text. Links to these articles can be found in the table towards the bottom of column 2

The Tansley family is one of several lines which have lived in close proximity and intertwined with the Craxfords for more than 250 years. Liaisons with two other families are described in the companion article "A Family Photograph Album: The Binleys, Jacksons and Tansleys" [Article A.]. The subjects of this particular article are James Tansley and his sister Comfort but the history of the Tansleys in Cottingham goes back more than 120 years ([Article B.]). They were just two of the myriad three times great grandchildren of Edward the tailor and each preceding generation added many links into the other local families in the locality. Their parents were John Tansley and Elizabeth Bull who had eight children. The story of one of their brothers, David (1813 - 1889) is recounted in [Article C.].

Old map: Middleton 1902.
Old map: Cottingham 1886.

Maps of Middleton (1902) and Cottingham (1886) showing variations of street names and places of interest.
Click link to access larger scale map.

The family of James Tansley and Elizabeth Munton

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene

St Mary Magdalene Church, Cottingham: a view across the village from Blind Lane

John Tansley and Elizabeth Bull had been married for almost 5 years when James, their third son, was born on September 3rd 1797. He was baptised at the Church of St Mary Magdalene on September 20th the same year. He married Elizabeth Munton at the age of 23 years on December 24th 1820. Elizabeth, the daughter of William Munton and Ann Redshaw was born in 1797 in Thorpe by Water, a village some 5 miles north of Cottingham over the border in Rutland. As far as is known she had two younger brothers and two younger sisters. In 1815 she was working as a domestic servant. Elizabeth had previously given birth to a daughter in February 1815. The father was not known but the little girl was baptised Ann Bellamy Munton, the second name often given in such circumstances as a hint to his identity. There was a large Bellamy family in Cottingham at the time and indeed Catherine, one of the daughters of Edward Tansley, the tailor, had married William Bellamy in 1714. Ann Bellamy Munton's story will be followed later in this article.

James and Elizabeth had seven known children: three sons and four daughters. The family were resident in George Street (Corby Road), probably in a house in The Nook, into the 1850s. James worked as a road labourer into his middle age. Middle son Amos was born on April 28th and baptised on October 30th 1825. He never married and followed his father as a road labourer. He died from pulmonary tuberculosis and was buried on December 28th 1851. The 1861 census found them moved into Blind Lane. James died there and was buried on February 14th 1867. After her husband's death, Elizabeth moved to Great Oakley to live with her now married youngest daughter, Elizabeth Richards. She died in the village on March 5th 1873.

Samuel (1821 - 1891)

Samuel, the oldest son of John and Elizabeth Tansley, was born in Cottingham in 1821. There is no record of a baptism for him. He started his working life in the fields but by 1851 had become a road worker. He married Catherine Humphrey on November 12th 1848, supported by his brother Amos and sister Comfort. Catherine born in Medbourne, Leicestershire in 1825, was the fourth daughter of George Humphrey and Catherine Spriggs. Her older brother, Harold, had married Samuel's sister Esther the previous year.

Corby Road

George Street (Corby Road), Cottingham

The Nook

St Mary Magdalene Church: view from Corby Road through The Nook

The couple had nine children: two sons and seven daughters. They made their first home in Maydwell's Yard off Corby Road, a cul de sac which was probably named for the Maydwell brothers, James and Robert, who were stone masons in the village. At the end of the 1850s Samuel had taken up the employment as village gate keeper and with it the occupancy of Toll Gate House in Cottingham. He maintained this type of position for over ten years, transferring for a time to Corby, before he moved the family back into The Nook and took up farming on a small holding. Samuel was the first to die and was buried on March 24th 1891. At the time of his death, Catherine had her still single daughter Madeline, her married daughter Pamela and two of Pamela's daughters living with her. Pamela had married John Stevens Green in Leicester in March 1883. Catherine followed Samuel almost twelve months later on January 12th 1892.

Mary

Parish Church of St Wilfred, Kibworth

St Wilfred Church, Kibworth Beauchamp (2)

First born daughter, Mary, was born about 1850. She married James Dunkley from Kibworth Harcourt, Leicestershire, in Cottingham on July 4th 1867. The ceremony was witnessed by Mary's younger sister Madeline and younger brother Samuel. The couple returned to James' home village where they were to spend the rest of their lives. James was initially a general labourer but by 1881 had become a railway worker. Between 1870 and 1893 they had four sons and four daughters. Mary died in June 1906 and was buried at St Wilfred's Church in the neighbouring town, Kibworth Beauchamp. Between April 1917 and December 1921, James was registered as member number 764780 of the National Union of Railway Workers. He was taken ill and admitted to the Leicester Royal Infirmary in March 1925. He died whilst an in patient and was transferred back to Kibworth Beauchamp for burial.

George

Cott Cemetery

St Mary Magdalene churchyard and plot map

Eldest son George was born on April 18th and baptised on May 11th 1851. He started work as a general labour and lived at home until his marriage on July 8th 1886 to Naomi Pridmore. Naomi's sister Mary Ann was on hand to act as a witness. The Pridmores had been long established in Gretton and were closely intertwined with the Pollard family. Naomi's first cousin once removed, Matilda Pollard, had a very tragic and harrowing life. Matilda's sister, Mary Ann, lost her husband, David Craxford, and four of her six children within ten years of her marriage. Their story is told in [Article D.].

George and Naomi made their first home in The Nook, next door to his now widowed mother, Catherine. He became a farmer and coal dealer. Over a period of 12 years they had three sons and five daughters. Sadly eldest daughter Laura Eveline died on February 11th 1899 having contracted scarlet fever. She was buried four days later in Section B Row 4 plot 49 of the churchyard in what was to become the family plot. George died in the village on June 10th 1920 and was buried three days later. Son George Robert died aged 47 years and followed on September 20th 1936. Towards the end of her life Naomi entered the Union Workhouse on London Road, Kettering where she died on January 29th 1941. She was interred on February 2nd that year.

Ann

Second daughter Ann was baptised on December 5th 1852 when three weeks old. As a teeneage she was sent into service as a cook with the family of farmer William Pick, who employed 6 men and 3 boys, in Tur Langton in Leicestershire. She moved to the West Midlands where she married Henry Haines at St Paul's Church in Birmingham on August 16th 1881. They settled in Solihull where Ann had five sons and a daughter. Henry died in 1896.

Catherine

Samuel and Catherine's fifth daughter has proved to be a particularly awkward individual to research. Although this section has been headed Catherine, the spelling of her first name appears different in every record. She was born on February 11th 1858 when her name was entered in the Kettering birth index for the first quarter of 1858 as Cathun. She was baptised five days later where the entry in the Parish Register looks like Cattune (but could be a poorly written Catherine, presumably after her mother's name). The 1861 census has her as a 3 year old Catton, a spelling which persists into 1871.

By 1881, the young girl had entered domestic service as a kitchen maid and was calling herself Kate. She was in the employ of Sir Charles Isham, 10th Baronet, and his family, part of a staff of 15 people. They lived in Lamport Hall which is situated in the village of Lamport about 3 miles north of Brixworth. This is a Tudor manor house which had been the home of the Isham family since 1560. Sir Charles was an avid gardener and in 1847 he constructed a large rockery alongside the house. He is credited with introducing the fashion for garden gnomes into Britain when he imported a number of terracotta figurines from Nuremberg, Germany as ornamentation for it.

Lamport

Lamport Hall (3)

Isham

Sir Charles Isham (4)

Gnomes

"Gnomes on strike, 1897" (5)
Mouse over for text of sign

In the 1880s, there was an notice in the London Gazette which announced that Kate Tansley was to be appointed to a position of Housekeeper (6) (although it did not say by who or to where). By the end of that decade, Kate had moved further afield to a fill such a job.

IOW

Landguard Manor (7)

She had moved to the Isle of Wight where she had taken up the post at Landguard Manor near Shanklin, part of a staff of 13, with the family of Colonel Francis Henry Atherley. The original manor and estate were mentioned in the Domesday Book. The present house had been built in the mid eighteenth century and had been extended and remodelled by Atherley in 1878. He had been born in 1831 and had served between 1849 and 1855 in the Army with the 40th Regiment of Foot (Rifle Brigade) rising from Ensign to Captain. He married Lady Isabella Julia Elizabeth Howard, the daughter of Charles Howard, 17th Earl of Suffolk. A curiosity here is that Lady Isabella's great nephew, Charles Howard who became the 20th Earl of Suffolk, married actress Mimi Crawford, who had a strong link to the Craxford family in London, in 1934 ([Article E.]).

Francis Atherley died in 1897. Kate is not with Lady Isabella at the time of the 1901 census. Indeed she spent the turn of the century with her now married younger sister Madeline in London. There are no other sightings of her after that date. The only possible reference is contained in the first quarter Death index of 1934 for the Alton District which contains Cotton Tansley aged 77 years. The death certificate confirms that she was a 77 year old spinster, suffering from dementia who died on February 20th 1934. The death was notified by Thomas Heathcote, the occupier of 39a, Anstey Road, Alton, who noted that Cotton was a "domestic help and daughter of (deceased). Although Catton is not listed in any of them, Thomas Hayward Heathcote and his wife were noted to be residents of this address which was also named as Union House in the Electoral Rolls throughout the 1920s. This probably represents the site of the old Poor Law Workhouse originally built in 1793. Alton is a market town in Hampshire about 30 miles inland from the coastal ports and the Isle of Wight ferry.

Madeline

Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity Church (9)

Samuel and Catherine's youngest daughter was born in the spring of 1864. In her teens she trained as a dressmaker and tailoress. She stayed at home briefly with her mother after her father died but in the early 1890s she made the trip to London. On July 14th 1895 she married salesman and clerk William Charles Pentecost at Holy Trinity Church on Grays Inn Road, Holborn. They set up home initially in Horsell Road where their two daughters, Winifred Eveline (1895) and Eva Lilian (1898) were born. They were joined at the time of the 1901 census by Madeline's sister Kate. Oddly both women underdeclared their ages. Madeline said she was 31 years old and Kate reported 36 years (when they were 37 and 43 respectively!).

Mary Ann (1823 - 1900)

James and Elizabeth's oldest daughter was born on June 20th and baptised on August 31st 1823. In her late teens she moved out of Cottingham to the village of Little Addington, some 18 miles to the south east. There she met and married carpenter William Abbott in St Mary the Virgin Church, Little Addington, on November 2nd 1846. They moved a mile up the road into the adjoining village of Great Addington where they spent the rest of their married lives. They had ten children: five boys and five girls. William died in the village in 1874. Mary survived him by almost 25 years, dying in 1900.

Esther (1827 - 1894)

Esther, the second of the daughters of James Tansley and Elizabeth Munton, was born on April 27th and baptised on December 25th 1827. She was to marry Harold Humphrey, the second son of George Humphrey and Catherine Spriggs on May 9th 1847. Harold had been born and baptised on April 17th 1823 in Medbourne, Leicestershire. They made their home in Blind Lane next door but one neighbours to Esther's uncle David Tansley and his family.

Esther was to undergo a troubled and somewhat traumatic obstetric history. It does appear that there was a five year gap before she carried a pregnancy to term. There is no way of knowing whether she experienced miscarriages prior to this. She became pregnant in the autumn of 1851 and duly delivered a daughter on June 24th 1852. The baby was baptised Mary four days later. The tot lived for barely a month and was buried on July 26th 1852. Esther was pregnant again almost immediately and a boy, Harold was born on May 25th and baptised on June 8th 1853. Esther conceived again in the early spring the following year but this pregnancy is shrouded in mystery. It was almost certainly a twin pregnancy but only one single girl, Elizabeth, was registered in the Birth indexes of Kettering for the last quarter of 1854. However two baby girls were baptised on December 21st 1854 by the Rector, Thomas Clayton: Elizabeth born on December 15th and Mary born on December 17th. Christmas brought the family a heartbreaking present and both babies were buried together (again by Rector Thomas Clayton) on December 28th 1854. His record showed that Elizabeth who died on Boxing Day had lived for 6 days whilst Mary who had died on December 24th had lived for four days. Both deaths are registered on the same page with the General Register Office. The death certificates confirm that none of these three infants had been seen by a medical attendant during their final hours but Elizabeth Tansley, Esther's mother, had been present at each death. The cause of the first Mary's death was given as Thrush. The cause of death of the twins was registered in the same way "Weakness with fits", a possible sign of a difficult labour. Another daughter, Elizabeth, was born on March 13th 1856.

Harold obviously decided that life would be better for himself and the family elsewhere and made the decision to emigrate by using the Assisted Package scheme. He, Esther and the two children set sail for Australia on June 24th 1857 along with 298 other emigrants aboard the SS Bleinheim. The journey took 104 days. They arrived at Moreton Bay on the outskirts of Brisbane, Queensland on October 12th 1857. They settled in Geelong in the State of Victoria where Harold contracted to work as a farm labourer. In the first six years Esther was to deliver a further five children but two: Esther, 1859 and Mary Ann, 1866 died in infancy. Harold was killed in an accident when the wheel of his cart ran over and crushed his chest on January 26th 1867. The circumstances were certified at an inquest held before Coroner F. Shaw, as was the fact that he had been suffering from heart disease. He was 43 years old. A small advertisememt begging for financial support for his widow and six children was placed in the local newspaper the following month (10). Esther married again to another immigrant, John Ford, on February 13th 1868. They lived together for over 20 years and had two children. Esther died in the town on September 20th 1894.

Of note amongst Harold and Esther's children, seventh born Madeline married farmer, Thomas Bush in Germantown, Victoria in 1877. They moved to the town of Belmont where she is known to have had fourteen children: nine boys and five girls although two died in infancy. She died suddently on November 30th 1900 aged just 40 years. She had retired for a rest in the afternoon and some hours later her daughter found her lying on the bed, dead. She had not previously complained of ill health.

More about the Humphrey family

Although George Humphrey was born in Brigstock and baptised on April 1st 1787 at St Andrews Church there, he married Catherine Spriggs at St Mary Magdalene Church on December 31st 1812. They settled in Water Lane, Cottingham where George was employed as an agricultural; labourer. They were to have three sons and six daughters. As well as fourth daughter Catherine mentioned below, first daughter Sarah (1813) married Richard Lattimer from Gretton. Second daughter Elizabeth (1815) married Thomas Neal in 1839. The couple also took advantage of the Assisted Package scheme to Australia and emigrated to Victoria on same journey as Harold and Esther on the the SS Blenheim in October 1857. They had at least eight children. Mary Humphrey (1820) married William Simkin from Hallaton in Cottingham on June 30th 1842. She had three children before she died at the age of 28 years in 1848. Final daughter Ann (1834) married John Cole from North Luffenham on December 7th 1858. Nothing is known of George (1816), Jane (1827) or Robert (1829).

Comfort (1828 - 1918)

The Spread Eagle Inn

Spread Eagle and Three Horse Shoes (11)

St Giles

St Giles, Desborough (12)

James and Elizabeth's third daughter was born on August 7th and baptised Comfort, presumably as an acknowledgement to James' sister of the same name, on October 12th 1828. She was sent into domestic service as a 12 year old with publican John Claypole at The Three Horseshoes Inn in the High Street. On February 21st 1850, she married Edmund Houghton, who was originally from Sudborough, Northamptonshire. They were witnessed by Comfort's brother Amos and her now married sister Esther. Edmund was working as a horse keeper at West Lodge Farm in Pipewell, a hamlet which lay south west of Corby on the road to Desborough and this is where he took his new bride to make their home.

They stayed there until the middle of the 1870s during which time Comfort had eight children: four sons (James, 1852; Amos, 1853; Edmund Harold, 1861 and Charles, 1869) and four daughters (Alice Hannah, 1850; Emma, 1854; Madeline, 1865 and Daisy, 1866). By the census of 1881 they had moved the three miles into Desborough, first to Victoria Street and the Havelock Street. Edmund died in the town on April 9th 1894. After her husband's death, Comfort moved first with her married daughter Emma Prowett. By 1911 she was with her son Edmund and his wife Catherine. Comfort died on January 12th 1918 and was buried four days later at St Giles Church in Desborough.

Daughter Emma married William Prowett from Wilbarston in 1874 which is where they made their home. Son Edmund married Catherine Berridge during 1893 and settled in Desborough. They remained childless. Little is known of the ongoing history of sons James, Amos and Charles.

Alice

Edward and Comfort's first daughter was born on March 19th 1850 and baptised Alice Hannah on January 26th 1851. In her late teens she moved into domestic service with the family of Baptist Minister Thomas G. Rose in the Market Square in Long Buckby, a village 25 miles south west of Pipewell. Sometime during the 1870s she met Henry Idle who was working as a railway labourer in Desborough. They were married during the winter of 1880 and moved into Henry's home in Paddock Lane in the town. They were to have three sons (James Straker, 1882; Harry, 1884 and Harold Henry, 1886) and a daughter (Frances Alice, 1890). Only two survived into their teenage years. James became a shoe finisher but died (??cause) in the summer of 1903 aged 21 years. Harold Henry became a laster in the shoe trade and was still at home in 1911. Harry died within six weeks of his birth on April 28th 1884. He was suffering from hydrocephalus. Frances Alice was 15 years old when she died from pulmonary tuberculosis on September 23rd 1905. After the first World War, Henry and Alice moved to Desford in Leicestershire. Henry died there in 1927; Alice followed in 1934.

Madeline

Third daughter Madeline married William Dunkley, a shopkeeper and grocer, in Desborough on April 29th 1883. At the time of the 1911 census, William reported that they had had ten children of which six were still living and four had died. Only nine however have been traced: five sons (the first two born in Northamptonsire): William (1885), James Archibald (1886), Frank (1887), Arthur (1891, died the same year) and Ernest (1899, died in 1900) and four daughters: Florence Maud (1888 died in 1889), Beatrice Agnes (1890), Lilian May (1896) and Thirza Madeline (1905). By 1890, the family had moved to Sutton Cheney near Market Bosworth in Leicestershire. William died on December 20th 1937 and was buried in Sutton Cheney Cemetery three days later. Madeline died and was buried with her husband on December 3rd 1943.

Daisy

All Saints

All Saints, Sudborough (13)

Last daughter, Daisy, who was born in 1866 was to marry Lewis Jackson on Christmas Day 1890 in All Saints Church Sudborough, Northamptonshire. Lewis was the son of Thomas Jackson and Alice Chambers, both from Middleton, and was born on November 20th 1860. Thomas Jackson's brother, John, had married Elizabeth, the daughter of David Tansley and Elizabeth Peach in Cottingham in 1859. The history of the Jackson family in Middleton is told in detail in [Article F.]. Lewis' mother, Alice, was the daughter of Pridmore Chambers and Frances Claypole, also from Cottingham, whose history is documented in [Article G.].

After their marriage the couple moved to the Carlton district to the east of Nottingham, where Lewis was employed as a railway goods guard. They had two sons (Edmund, 1894 and Lewis, 1898) and a daughter (Martha, 1892). At the turn of the century they were living in North Western Terrace off Victoria Road which was adjacent to the goods marshalling yards at Netherfield. To help with family finances they had taken in two lodgers; Thomas Hillyard, an engine stoker and John Ambrose, an engine cleaner. Toward the end of the decade, the family moved to Shrewsbury. Daisy died there in 1928; Lewis followed in 1936.

Elizabeth (1831 - 1903)

James Tansley and Elizabeth Munton's youngest daughter Elizabeth and her daughter Madeline will be followed up later in this article.

James (1836 - 1926) and his children

JT

James Tansley

The final son of James Tansley and Elizabeth Munton was born on July 5th and baptised James on September 25th 1836. He initially worked in the fields but by 1871 he had become a road labourer. He was to marry twice and had a total of eight children.

James first wife who he married on December 25th 1856 witnessed by his now married sister Elizabeth and her husband Charles Richards, was Alice the daughter of Thomas Coles and Susannah Claypole (See more of their history in [Article C.]). They made their home in Barrack Yard and Blind Lane. Between 1857 and 1874 Alice gave birth to eight children: sons Amos (1862) and Nathan (1868) and daughters Esther (1857), Louisa (1859), Comfort (1865), Mary (1870), Hagar (1872) and Alice (1874). It would have been manifestly obvious that Alice had been increasingly unwell for some time with chest pains, breathlessness and swelling of the extremities. She died on January 21st, aged 38 years, the cause being written as "Morbus Cordis and Anasarca" (Chronic heart disease and severe generalised oedema). She was buried in Section A Row 14 plot 245 of St Mary Magdalene churchyard (the plot next to the grave of Thomas Christopher Claypole - see below.)

James married again in the winter of 1877 to Ann Maydwell. She was born in 1825, one of the three known daughters of John Maydwell amd Rebecca Lawson. She had lived in Corby up to this point and had given birth to a daughter, Alice, in the town in 1850. They settled into Blind Lane with James' daughter Hagar. Ann died in the spring of 1900. James lived on for a further quarter of a century and was finally buried alongside Alice on August 28th 1926.

Daughter Ann appears on the census of 1871 as a 1 year old but is not present in 1881. Although no record has been found it is assumed that she died in the interim. Daughter Louisa went into service as a cook in Kibworth Beachamp for schoolmaster and clerk in holy orders Dennis Bernard. She had not been traced beyond the census of 1881.

Esther

James and Alice's first daughter, Esther, was born in the summer and baptised on August 2nd 1857. Her teenage years were spent at home helping her mother with the growing number pf children. On December 25th 1877 she married William Beadsworth, the son of William Beesworth and Priscilla Reddihoff, witnessed by her brother Amos and his sister Alice. Their story is told at length in [Article H.].

Amos

The older of the two sons of James Tansley and Alice Coles was baptised Amos on February 9th 1862. As a child he was sent to earn pennies in the fields as a bird scarer. As a teenager he signed his attestation papers for a six year period with the Leicestershire Militia. It is not recorded whether he saw any active service. On April 22nd 1889, he married 20 year old Lucy Eliza West. This union brought many more interconnections between the Cottingham families. Lucy had been born to Emma Elizabeth West before her marriage to Jonathan White in 1873. One of Emma's nieces, Alice Laura, married John, the son of Henry Crane, whilst one of her nephews, John Inkle West, married Harriet the niece of Alice Coles and Amos' first cousin. One of Johnathan and Emma White's grandchildren, Florence May Hammond, would marry Sidney, the son of John Thomas Crane Coles (Amos' first cousin) and Clara Elizabeth Tansley (2nd cousin). Florence's brother, Roland Hammond would marry Rosalie Vera Beadsworth (Amos's second cousin once removed)

Amos and Lucy lived for most of their married life in Water Lane, Amos working as an agricultural laboour. They had two sons (William James, 1890 and Samuel George, 1897) and two Daughters (Mary Elizabeth, 1891 and Lilian Emma, 1894). Over several years, Lucy developed an overactive goitre (swelling of the thyroid gland in the neck). This led to ischaemic heart disease and cardiac failure from which she died on April 29th and she was buried on May 2nd 1903. She was 33 years old.

Towards the end of the following year Amos married again in Kettering to Elizabeth Wilson, the widow of Job Waterfield, an ironstone labourer, who had died in Corby in 1898. Job was one of the sons of Matthew Waterfield and Elizabeth Spriggs from Gretton. Job was also the nephew of Catherine Waterfield who had married Robert Craxford in Gretton in 1841 (See [Article I.]). Job and Elizabeth had three sons and five daughters. Notable amongst these was eldest son Charles Edward who married Emily, the elder daughter of John Claypole and Mary Ann Tansley in Cottingham on June 1st 1903. 1911 found Amos and Elizabeth living in School Lane with Amos' two youngest children (Lilian and Samuel) and Elizabeth's youngest son (George). Amos survived through the years of the second World War and died during the opening months of 1946 aged 84 years.

James William

When Amos and Lucy's eldest son was born in 1890, his name was recorded as James William Tansley. He decided to join the Army when he reached his sixteenth birthday and signed his attestation papers for eight years service on May 9th 1906. He declared that he was 18 years and 2 months old and that his name was William James Tansley. He became Private 7898 of the 2nd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment. In 1911 the Battalion was stationed at Fort George in Madras. India. Shortly after the outbreak of the first World War the Regiment was ordered to the Western Front in France. He was appointed Lance Corporal whilst at sea in October 1914. Almost immediately he was wounded in action and was hospitalised in Rouen. He was also suffering from deafness. After a period of convalescnce he rejoined the Battalion on January 2nd 1915. He was killed in action when he was hit in the chest by a shell fragment on March 13th 1915, the last day of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle. He is commemorated on Panel 11 of the Le Touret Memorial which stands at the east end of the Le Touret Military Cemetery on the Bethune to Armentieres road. The memorial commemorates over 13,400 British soldiers killed in this section of the Western Front between October 1914 and September 1915 who have no known grave [Further Reading: 1.].

Comfort

James and Alice's third daughter, Comfort was born in the opening months of 1865. As a young woman she made the decision to move south to London. She met cab driver Henry Harris and they were married on February 27th 1887 at St Andrews and St Philips Church in Westbourne Park, Kensington. Their first home was in Belsize Court, Hampstead and by the turn of the century they had two daughters: Amy (1888) and Frances (1895). By 1911 they had made the move to a house in Busby Mews, Kentish Town. Comfort died and was buried in Highgate Cemetery, Camden on February 21st 1924.

Nathan

St Peters

St Peter's Church, Highfields (15)

Younger son Nathan was born in the spring of 1868. He started work as a younger teenager as an agricultural labourer but on March 3rd 1885 he enlisted as Private 1248 with the second Battalion, the Leicestershire Regiment. He spent some time on placement in India. Upon his discharge from the Army he settled in Leicester where he met Amelia Spencer, a girl from Oldham in Greater Manchester who was three years older than him. They were married at St Peter's Church in the Highfields part of the city on April 4th 1896. This was the same church where his second cousin Frank Tansley was baptised in July 1877. Their first home was in Roslyn Street where Nathan took on general labouring work. They had two sons: Sidney (1896) and Leslie Reginald (1906) and four daughters: Louisa (1898); Norah (1900); Amy (1903) and Alice Hagar (1907). Before the outbreak of the first World War, they had moved to Biddulph Street and Nathan had become a street cleaner.


Continued in column 2...

Page added: October 1st 2021
Last update: October 5th 2021

The family of James Tansley and Elizabeth Munton (Continued)

Nathan (Continued)

IOW

Nathan (with stick)

Silver

Silver War Badge

Nathan re-enlisted for war duties as Private 345919 of the Labour Corps on May 1st 1915. There is no record of where he served but it was not overseas. He was discharged on the grounds of ill health or a war wound on April 8th 1918. There is no record of the nature of this but he was noted to walk with a stick thereafter. He was awarded a War Pension and a Silver War Badge. Nathan and Amelia continued to live in Biddulph Street into the 1930s. Nathan's first cousin once removed David Peach Tansley and his wife Elizabeth had their home just a few doors away in the same street. As she aged, Amelia became increasingly infirm and by 1936 she had to be admitted to Hillcrest Hospital. She died there and was buried in Section Ss plot 1082 of Gilroes Cemetery on October 10th 1936. After her death, Nathan moved in with his now married daughter Louisa a few doors further up the street. Nathan died at home and joined his wife in Gilroes Cemetery on March 18th 1947.

Alice

Final daughter Alice was born on November 6th 1874. She became pregnant in 1892 and gave birth to a son she named James Henry on July 23rd 1893. Two years later she married Alfred, a farm labourer and the grandson of David Tansley and Elizabeth Peach and her second cousin on September 24th 1895. The ceremony was witnessed by Alfred's sister Harriet and Jeffrey Binley who was both Alfred's first cousin and Alice's second cousin. They had three daughters: Elizabeth Alice (1895), Clara Ada (1897) and Harriet (1903).

Although the first and third girls were born in Cottingham, the couple spent about three years in Leicester which is where Clara Ada was born, presumably so that Alfred could try his hand as a bricklayer's labourer. They found a house in Spalding Street in the Spinney Hills part of town, a decision probably aided by the nearness of his uncle David Peach Tansley and his family who lived half a mile away in Rolleston Street. This address was also the site of the tragic death of little Clara. In April 1899 she caught a bout of Measles. Although she appeared to be recovering, she had a relapse with difficulty breathing. Alice put hot pancakes on her chest and back and wrapped her up. When she seemed to deteriorate further she called in a neighbour and went for a doctor. Clara suffered burns to her back and died on May 29th 1899. An inquest was held in the nearby school on Bridge Street which concluded that Clara's death was due to misadventure on the part of her mother. Clara was buried in Section uS plot 1276 of Welford Road Cemetery - an area which held infants and small children. It is likely that Clara's death was the ultimate reason for Alfred to return the family to Cottingham by the turn of the century.

The 1901 census found the couple with daughter Elizabeth Alice in a house in Blind Lane. Alfred had taken up work as an ironstone labourer and Alice was employed as a machinist at the Wallis and Linell Clothing factory on Rockingham Road. Alfred enlisted for Army service during the first World War. He was initially Private 20558 with the 8th Battalion, the Northamptonshire Regiment but was subsequently transferred via a Training Reserve Battalion and a Home Service Garrison until he reached the 436th Agricultural Company of the Labour Corps. He was discharged in February 1919. He died on November 11th 1926 and was buried in Cottingham in Section B Row 3 plot 42 a few days later. Alice lived on her own in Corby Road until after the second World War. She died on November 14th 1959 and was buried alongside Alfred.

Daughter Elizabeth married Walter Rowlett, a plate layer at the steelworks, in 1920 and went to live in Corby. Younger daughter Harriet also worked in the clothing factory. She married John Musson, a cutter and machinist at a steel rolling plant in 1927. They made their home in Kettering.

James Henry

It appears that Alice's son James Henry led a somewhat fragmented childhood. In 1901, he is listed as a 7 year old living with his grandfather James Tansley on Pinfold Bank, Blind Lane. As a young man he moved to Wath on Dearn near Sheffield in South Yorkshire where he became a porter for the railway. He joined the National Union of Raiilwaymen (No. 294692) as a 17 year old on April 9th 1911. At the time he was lodging with the family of maltster George Kime in Station Road in the town.

JWTandL

James Henry and Eliza

When war broke out he signed his attenstation papers for Army service on August 14th 1914 and joined the 6th Battalion, Yorkshire & Lancashire Regiment. It is notable that he listed his mother Alice as his next of kin. He was appointed Lance Corporal in November 1914. The Battalion embarked in Liverpool as part of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force and joined the ill-fated Gallipoli Campaign in February 1915. They arrived at Suvla Bay on the Aegean coast on August 15th. The Battalion was ultimately evacuated from the region on October 28th 1915 but it is estimated there had been 250,000 casualties during the eight months of fighting. James suffered from a gunshot wound to his leg and knee. He also wrote a poem he called "The Landing at Suvla Bay" to commemorate his experience. One of his fellow soldiers was Arthur Jackson, his cousin once removed. Arthur was so affected by the whole episode that he named his first daughter, Suvla.

Denby

Mary Dendy Home (17)

Family recollections believe that James was suffering from shell shock when he was repatriated from the war and he was sent to a place in Wales to recuperate. That is where he met Eliza Roberts and they were married in Pontypridd on December 26th 1917. They had a baby they named Douglas in the winter of 1919 who was known to have been born with Down's syndrome and also probably suffered from cerebral palsy. The family moved back to Northamptonshire where James was employed as a labourer in a steel works. By 1939 the couple were living in Drury's Estate, Corby. Eliza died in the winter of 1950. James married again at the Weslayan Chapel on Rockingham Road Corby in 1952 to Edith Tester. He died on August 1st 1986, leaving his money to the church.

Douglas became increasingly difficult to manage as he grew older and he was found a place at the Sandlebridge Boarding School, Great Warford, Cheshire. This institution was founded in 1908 by the Lancashire and Cheshire Society for the Permanent Care of the Feeble-Minded. It was renamed the Mary Dendy Home (in memory of the campaigner and secretary of the Society) in 1933 and rebranded a hospital with the start of the National Health Service. It closed in 1986. Douglas died there at the age of 16 years on March 18th 1936 of Acute lobar pneumonia. His mental condition was not mentioined on the death certtificate.

JWTGroups

L to R: Group 1: John Henry with Eliza; Rockingham Road Chapel, Corby; Group 2: John Henry with Edith

About Ann Bellamy Munton

St Mary

St Mary's, Lower Benefield (18)

As was noted previously, Elizabeth Munton gave birth to a daughter before she married James Tansley in 1820. Although she had been born in Thorpe by Water in Rutland, as a teenager she went into domestic service in the village of Upper Benefield, some 10 miles to the south east in Northamptonshire. During the spring of 1814 she became pregnant and was delivered of a girl who was named Ann Bellamy Munton at baptism at St Mary the Virgin Church on February 12th 1815. When Elizabeth married James Tansley, Ann moved to Cottingham with them.

Ann married John, the fourth son of the nine children of John Claypole and Sarah Ashby in Cottingham on June 27th 1839. His sister Elizabeth was one of the witnesses. John and Sarah had been married on May 16th 1796 and both lived for the best part of 75 years in Great Easton, Leicestershire. Their family life is told in [Article J.]. John had a number of occupations during his life. At the outset he was the landlord of The Three Horseshoes Inn in the High Street. For a time he tried his hand at being a carter and then in the 1860s took over the blacksmith's shop. After 1860 they lived in Blind Lane and Barrack Yard. They had three sons (Thomas Bellamy, 1841, John, 1851 and William, 1861) and four daughters (Sarah Ann, 1844; Mary, 1846; Henrietta, 1853 and Caroline, 1857). John became progressively infirm as he grew older and was first to die of "Senile decay and exhaustion". He was buried on April 15th 1903. Ann followed him the following year and was interred with him on October 27th 1904. These stories are told at length in [Article G.]. Two of their brood, though, are of relevance to the Tansley saga in particular.

Sarah Anne Claypole

SAC

Sarah Anne

Sarah Anne was born on February 9th and baptised on April 12th 1844. In her early years she earned some money for the family as a lace maker. She was to bear two illegitimate children before she married: Elizabeth Alice (1867) who married a farmer and moved to Kent and Thomas Christopher (1869) who was murdered by their next door neighbour on May 1st 1875. There is a full account of this horrific tragedy in [Article K.].

Sarah Anne married John Craxford, an agricultural labourer who had been born in Middleton, on August 7th 1871. They set up home in Blind Lane. They had six children; two sons (James Ernest, 1872 and William, 1885) and four daughters (Henrietta, 1874; Louisa, 1877; Sarah Anne, 1879 and Florence, 1882, who suffered from chronic epilepsy and died on June 29th 1884). John's health started to fail before the turn of the century and he was admitted to the Northampton County Asylum in Berrywood, Northampton where he died on July 15th 1898. The formal diagnosis was that he had developed a brain tumour. He was buried in Cottingham four days later. After John had died and the children had moved away, Sarah Anne suffered from chronic bronchitis and heart disease but continued to live on alone in Barrack Yard ([Article L.]) until her death at the age of 86 years on April 9th 1930. Her death was notified by her granddaughter, Margeret Tansley.

A further raft of family entanglements came about through the marriage of Sarah Anne's daughter Louisa to Arthur Beadsworth. This meant that their nine children including Constance and Frederick were both first cousins once removed and second cousins once removed to the seven children, including Caroline and Emily, of John Claypole and Mary Anne Tansley

John Claypole

John and Ann's second son was born on November 12th and baptised John on November 30th 1851. He started his working life in the fields, progressed to under gamekeeper (for which he earned the nickname "Ratty Jack") and then took over his own small holding. He married Mary Ann, the ninth child of David Tansley and Elizabeth Peach in Cottingham on January 18th 1874. They had seven children: five sons (William, born in May 1876 but died within four weeks; John Henry, 1878; Arthur Thomas, 1880; William, 1888 and Stephen Tansley, 1889) and two daughters (Emily, 1881 and Caroline, 1883). John died in the spring of 1934; Mary Ann in the spring six years later.

Of their children, Arthur was always known as Tom. His first wife, Mary Elizabeth Tilley, bled to death during delivery from a condition known as placenta previa in July 1916 and lost both her twins. The following year Tom married his 19 year old fourth cousin Florence Claypole. Emily married Charles Edward Waterfield in 1903. Charles was the great nephew of Catherine Waterfield who had married Robert Craxford in Gretton in 1841. Caroline married Alfred Thomas Jackson on October 27th 1902. He was the son of John Jackson and Elizabeth Tansley making them first cousins. William married Mary Atkins, the widow of his third cousin once removed, Thomas Claypole, in February 1911. William was then killed in action during the first World War near Passchendaele, Belgium on November 15th 1917. Stephen also served during the first World War. He spent most of his life in Barrack Yard but never married. These histories are expanded in [Article M.].

JWTandL

L to R: John Claypole; Mary Ann Tansley; William Claypole with Mary Atkins; Tom and Florence Claypole; Stephen Claypole

About Elizabeth and Madeline Tansley

Oakley

Great Oakley Hall and Church (19)

The sixth child and fourth daughter of James Tansley and Elizabeth Munton was born on May 11th and baptised Elizabeth on May 22nd 1831. In her later teens she became pregnant and gave birth to a daughter she named Madeline. Mother and daughter left Cottingham during the early 1850s and moved the four miles south to Great Oakley. There she met agricultural labourer Charles Richards and on November 7th 1856 they were married at St Michael and All Angels Church in the village. They were destined not to have children. Elizabeth took up work as a lace runner. By 1861 they had been joined by Thomas, Charles' widowed father. Thomas Richards died in the New Year of 1871. About the same time, Elizabeth Tansley, Elizabeth's mother, moved in with them. She died in March 1873. At the end of the decade, Elizabeth's grandson, Thomas Christopher Tansley, was lodging with them and on the day of the census of 1881, Elizabeth's niece 24 year old Martha Tansley Abbott (the daughter of Mary Ann Tansley and William Abbott) was a visitor. Charles died in Great Oakley in the winter of 1882. After Charles death her grandson Thomas continued to live with her into 1890s. After the turn of the century Elizabeth moved to one of the Alms Houses in East Carlton. She died there in October 1903 and was buried at St Mary Magdalene Church, Cottingham on October 19th 1903.

Madeline

Elizabeth Tansley's daughter was born in the Kettering Union Workhouse on May 8th 1851 and baptised Madeline in Cottingham on October 31st 1852. She went with her mother to Great Oakley after her mother's marriage. By 1871 she had obtained a job as a kitchen maid at Rockingham Castle where she had adopted the surname Richards. Towards the end of that decade she became pregnant and gave birth to a son in 1877 she named Thomas Charles Tansley. By 1881 she was on the move again, leaving her son to be brought up by her mother and step father. She obtained a position as a domestic servant in 1881 with the family of basket maker William Griffin in the Radford district of Nottingham. After that she disappears from the records.

The family of Thomas Charles Tansley and Sarah Anne Craxford

SAC

Sarah Anne

TCT

Thomas Charles

The birth of Madeline's son Thomas Charles remains something of a mystery. Later census returns indicate that he was born in Great Oakley about 1877 but no record of his birth is present in the indexes and no baptism appears in any Parish Registers. He was left to be brought up by his maternal grandmother while his mother moved away for work in Nottingham. His entry in the census of 1881 confirms his place of birth as Great Oakley and that he was 4 years old. In his teens he started work as an agricultural labourer. On August 7th 1899 he married Sarah Anne Craxford at St Mary Magdalene Church in Cottingham. Sarah Anne was the youngest surviving daughter of John Craxford and Sarah Anne Claypole. The ceremony was witnessed by her brother James Ernest and sister Henrietta Craxford. Sarah Anne was noted to be a factory worker. It is also noticable that the space on the Parish Register for Thomas' father's name was left blank.

The couple had four sons and a daughter. Their first son, named Thomas Charles William, was born around the New Year of 1900 whilst they were still living in Great Oakley. A second son John Ernest was born in Cottingham early in 1901.By April the following year they had moved into Rockingham Road and had Thomas' grandmother living with them. A daughter they named Margaret Louisa was born on May 27th 1902. She was followed by another son, Sidney Reginald, born at the beginning of 1904. The lad contracted diphtheria and had to be admitted to the Infectious Diseases Isolation Hospital out along the Rockingham Road. He developed diphtheric myocarditis and heart failure from which he died on May 14th 1912 aged 8 years. There was a late addition to the family with the birth of a fourth son, Cecil Arthur, on April 15th 1920. Thomas Charles was first to die, on February 27th 1935. He was buried three days later in Section G Row 2 plot 32 of Cottingham churchyard. At the outbreak of the second World War, Sarah Anne was living in Ashley Road, Middleton with her youngest son Cecil, now a farm labourer, and her granddaughter Iris Tansley. Sarah Anne died of congestive cardiac failure and bronchopneumonia following a cerebral thrombosis (stroke) on June 14th 1963. She was interred with her husband three days later.

Thomas Charles W Tansley

Knowledge of first born son, named for his father, is to say the least patchy. He appears as a one year old in the census of 1901 although a later record gives his birth date as December 25th 1899. There is a suggestion that he served with the Northamptonshire Regiment during the first World War. After the war he moved to Kettering where he met and married Fanny Slow, a woman seven years older than him, at the beginning of 1925. Their first house was in Windmill Street where their son Eric William was born on August 12th that year. During the 1930s the family moved to Lower Street, Desborough. However, whilst Fanny and Eric were at home in Lower Street at the time of the compilation of the 1939 Register, Thomas was away working as a labourer in a railway wagon house and was resident in the Union Workhouse at 3a Castle Street in Wellingborough. During the middle years of the second World War, Thomas started feeling unwell with flu-like symptoms including intermittent headaches, fever and lethergy. When these symptoms became acute he was admitted to the Park Hospital (which until 1938 was the Wellingborough Union Workhouse.) Thomas died there on February 11th 1944 aged 44 years, the formal diagnosis recorded as Encpehalitis Lethargica. His funeral took place at the Kettering Crematorium on Rothwell Road, Kettering seven days later. Fanny lived on in Desborough for another 30 years. Her cremation was carried out at the same site on February 7th 1975.

John Ernest Tansley

Ernest Tansley

John Ernest

Second son, John Ernest (usually known by his second name), was born almost one year to the day after Thomas Charles arrived, on Christmas Eve 1900. He married Daisy Wilford in Kettering in the summer of 1924. Daisy had been born on October 28th 1899 in Corby. They had two daughters: Doreen, born on May 31st 1925 and Margaret, born in Wellingborough, in 1933. Ernest was a farmer and was also noted as a horse breaker. By 1939 the family were settled into Darnell's Lodge on Main Street in Middleton. Daughter Doreen married Eric Humphreys in the autumn of 1947. Ernest died in the village on March 14th 1970. Daisy died on June 19th and her funeral took place at Kettering Crematorium on June 25th 1979.

Margaret

Daughter Margaret married Laurence W A Jackson in Cottingham in 1958. This union provided a number of further family interlinkages as Margaret and Laurence were third cousins, half fourth cousins and fourth cousins once removed through different lines of descent. Laurence was the son of Vyvyan Jackson and Ethel Maud White. His paternal grandparents were Alfred Thomas Jackson and Caroline Claypole. Alfred Jackson's parents were John Jackson and Elizabeth Tansley whilst Caroline Claypole's parents were John Claypole and Mary Ann Tansley (Elizabeth Tansley's sister). Vyvyan Jackson's brother, Bernard John, married Elsie May Claypole who was the daughter of Thomas Claypole and Mary Atkins, whilst Vyvyan's sister, Ruby Bessie May Jackson married Wallace Edwin Panter whose mother Mary Elizabeth Binley was the daughter of Lewis Binley and Matilda Tansley.

Margaret Louisa Tansley

Margaret Tansley

Margaret Tansley (1930)

Thomas Charles and Sarah Anne's daughter, Margaret Louisa, was born in Cottingham on May 27th 1902. She was 17 years old when she became pregnant. A daughter she named Iris May was born on June 14th 1920. In the 1920s she was in domestic service with the family of Herbert Berry in The Headlands, Kettering. On April 10th 1930 she had to inform the Registrar of the death of her grandmother, Sarah Anne (Claypole) Craxford, who had died the day before. Then on August 5th 1930 she married William Harry Marlow at the Weslayan Methodist Chapel on Corby Road, Cottingham. Her brother John Ernest was one of the witnesses. William Marlow, born on May 31st 1904, was a van driver and lived in Havelock Square, Kettering. After their marriage they made their home in Naseby Road Kettering before they moved to Russell Street in the centre of the town. They had no children of their own. At the outset of the second World War Iris May had gone to live with her grandmother Sarah Anne Craxford in Ashley Road, Middleton. William died on August 20th 1997; Margaret followed a year later on August 13th 1998.

The family of Comfort Tansley and James Craxford

LittleA

St Mary's Little Addington (20)

Comfort was the younger daughter of John Tansley and Elizabeth Bull, born on November 5th and baptised on December 5th 1808. As a teenager she made the move to Little Addington. There she met James Craxford who was working as a farm servant. James was born in Gretton in 1811, the son of John Craxford and Elizabeth Ball. He was also the uncle of John Craxford who married Sarah Anne Claypole. James and Comfort were married at St Mary the Virgin Church, Little Addington on October 20th 1836. The following year, Comfort gave birth to a daughter who was baptised Comfort at the same church on December 3rd 1837. They made their home in Church Lane in the village. At the time of the census of 1841, they had Comfort's niece, Esther (the daughter of James Tansley and Elizabeth Munton) living with them. About the same time Esther's older sister Mary Ann Tansley was in domestic service in Little Addington.

Sadly, Comfort was not destined to live into old age. She died in the village on February 18th 1844. The cause of death was written simply as "tumour" although the site, the type or the length of time she had endured the condition were not stated. She was buried at St Mary the Virgin Church on February 25th 1844.

Comfort Craxford

James and Comfort's daughter, Comfort, married Robert Cox from Raunds on November 30th 1865 at St Mary Magdalene Church. They were supported by James, her father, and Dinah Craxford, her half sister. At the time Robert was a house servant and carter to farmer Richard Elkins and his family who lived in Higham End. Raunds is a market town 5 miles east of Little Addington and about 20 miles distant from Cottingham. Robert took Comfort back to the town and settled them in a house in Rotton Row. They had a daughter, Sarah Ellen in 1869 and a son Walter James (who was registered with Craxford as a third given name) in 1873. Robert spent his life working on the land. Robert and Comfort both died in 1904: he in the spring at the age of 81 years; she in the last quarter aged 67 years.

James Craxford's second marriage

Some two years after the death of his wife Comfort, James Craxford married again. His bride was Sarah Shaw who was about 11 years younger than him, a native of Little Addington. The ceremony took place in the church on October 19th 1846. Almost immediately the couple moved to a house on The Hill, Middleton where James continued to work as an agricultural labourer. Sarah gave birth to a daughter they named Dinah in the spring of 1847. A second pregnancy ensued and a baby boy was born on October 15th 1851 but died before it's name could be registered. The date of death was given as November 2nd 1851. The cause of death was listed as "Thrush", the diagnosis being made by James' mother, Elizabeth. No doctor had been in attendance. They moved to the High Street by 1861 next door to the Exeter Arms Inn and stayed there for the next 20 years. The census of 1881 labelled the address "Tilley's Yard", an acknowledgement of the bakery business of their next door neighbour William Tilley. In the late 1880s, the couple had fallen onto hard times and James was in receipt of Parish Relief. They had moved to a property in Lower Street. In the late 1890s, Sarah was increasingly troubled with health problems and by the beginning of 1898 she required to be admitted to the Union Workhouse in Kettering. James' mental health was failing too with his wife gone he was unable to cope on his own, He went to stay with his married daughter, Comfort, in Raunds. He died there on April 7th 1898, his death recorded as Senile Decay. Sarah died in the workhouse hospital on August 22nd 1898 from heart disease and dropsy.

James and Elizabeth's daughter Dinah married mason Lino John Vickers in Cottingham on June 10th 1867, supported by her father James and her half sister Comfort. Lino (in some countries this is a shortened form of the Italian name Pasquale) John was born in the summer of 1841, the son of stone mason James Vickers and Maria Foode. In turn Maria was the daughter of John Foode and Elizabeth Liquorish. Maria's sister Elizabeth had married Joseph Panter, the son of Edward Panter and Elizabeth Tansley, in August 1844. Lino was one of ten children. His older sister Frances had a daughter Sarah Ann who married William Alfred Jarvis the son of James Jarvis and Matilda Coles ([Article N.]). Lino's younger brother George married Louisa Jones in 1864. Their daughter Harriet married Benjamin, the son of Benjamin Tansley and Caroline Lucy Dalby.

Lino and Dinah had six known children (although they declared ten in their 1911 census return) three sons (George, 1871; Edgar, 1878 and Herbert Ethan, 1884) and three daughters (Ethel, 1869; Minnie, 1874 and Dinah, 1876 who died the same year). They lived in Church Street and then Water Lane, Cottingham until the late 1860s when Lino moved the family to Rotten Row, Raunds where Lino worked as a bricklayer. During the years of the first World War, Lino and Dinah moved to King Street, Kettering. Dinah died there in December 1919. She was buried in plot reference UC/8499 of the London Road Cemetery in Kettering on December 27th 1919. Lino was admitted to St Mary's Hospital, London Road, Kettering and died there at the end of November 1926. He joined Dinah in London Road Cemetery on December 2nd 1926.

Acknowledgements

The authors would like to express their thanks for the help, comments and suggestions from the following in the construction of this article: Contributors to the Hampshire and Northamptonshire Forums (including Heywood and RosieW) at RootsChat.Com


Further Reading

1: Cottingham and Middleton, Northamptonshire Soldiers 1914-1918 Christine Blenkarn has developed and devoted a website to honour the men of Cottingham and Middleton who served in the Great War. It notes principally those who were killed in action while doing so (as was the case of William James Tansley and William Claypole). It also looks at the impact on their families and the local community.

Links to the articles mentioned in the text are in italic capitals below:

Article A: Family relationships in Cottingham. A Family Photograph Album: The Binleys, Jacksons and Tansleys
Article B: The Tansleys arrive in Cottingham The Tansley Family Origins.
Article C: About David Tansley and Elizabeth Peach The Cottingham Tansleys 2: David and two of his sons who moved to Leicester
Article D: Tragic links with Gretton and Leicester The Croxton Conundrum and Other Mysteries: The Pollard Girls
Article E: A tentative link to the aristocracy and the stage as well as the Craxfords in London The Noble Forde-Pigotts
Article F: A history of the Jacksons. The Jacksons, my Middleton family
Article G: Links to Jackson, Claypole and Chambers Claypole: Destination Cottingham Part 2: Arrival
Article H: Marriage to William Beadsworth and transfer to Nottingham Following the Beadsworth family in Cottingham - Part 2a: William
Article I: Family linkages from and with Gretton. The Gretton Craxfords: Chronicles I - The tangled trees
Article J: About the Claypole family Claypole: Destination Cottingham Part 1: The Journey
Article K: A Murder in Cottingham Death for threeha'p'orth of suckers.
Article L: Life on Blind Lane and Barrack Yard We are the Barrack Yard Preservation Society
Article M: Ratty Jack and sons in the first World War The Sorrows of Mary Atkins
Article N: The Jarvis and Coles connection A History of the Tilley Family: Cottingham Part 2b, the family of Samuel and Mary Ann Tilley

References

1. Family tree graphic: Freeware Graphics: Vintage Kin Design Studio, Australia
2. St Wilfred's Church (south west aspect) photograph from Kibworth Church, Kibworth Leicestershire & © Rutland Churches: A Photographic Journal. Reproduced with permission
3. Lamport Hall, Brixworth: Photograph: © Ian Robb, and licenced for reuse under this Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic Creative Commons Licence
4. Sir Charles Isham, circa 1850 Wikimedia Commons. Source: BBC News Online reference. Reproduced as the work is in the public domain
5. Photograph: Gnomes on strike" at Lamport Hall The Gardeners Chronicle page 213 September 25th 1897. Wikimedia Commons Reproduced as the work is in the public domain
6. Appointment to Housekeeper: Public Health Act 1875, Bye-laws as to Houses Let in Lodgings: The London Gazette page 448 February 1st 1881
7. Landguard Manor, Shanklin, Isle of Wight, at Hitched
8. Portrait of Francis Henry Atherley albumen print by Carmille Silvy: July 30th 1862. The Photographic Collection The National Portrait Gallery NPG Ax60711. Reproduced with permission under this Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerciazl-NoDerivs 3.0 Licence
9. Woodcut image of Holy Trinity Church about 1850. The Victorian Web
10. "To the Benevolent": Small advertisement. Page 3 Geelong Advertiser Thursday February 14th 1867. Trove, Newspapers & Gazettes
11. High Street, Cottingham: Photographs from Cottinghamhistory.co.uk A history of the village of Cottingham, Northamptonshire. Reproduced with permission .
12. St. Giles Church, Desborough: Photograph: © Richard Williams, and licenced for reuse under this Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic Creative Commons Licence
13. All Saints Church, Sudborough: Photograph: © Chris Stafford, and licenced for reuse under this Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic Creative Commons Licence
14. Uppingham and the war: The Grantham Journal Page 5 May 8th 1915. The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
15. Photograph: St Peter's Church Highfields from a photo set by and © Aiden McRae Thomson. Reproduced with permission.
16. Singular Death of a child: Inquest at Bridge Street School. Leicester Chronicle and Leicestershire Mercury, Page 6 Saturday June 24th 1899. The British Newspaper Archive; © The British Library Board.
17. From an old postcard: Mary Dendy Hospital Wikimedia Commons. Reproduced as the work is in the public domain
18. St. Mary the Virgin Church, Lower Benefield: Photograph: © Michael Patterson, and licenced for reuse under this Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic Creative Commons Licence
19. Oakley Hall and St Michael's Church: Photograph: © Blane Chalmers, and licenced for reuse under this Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic Creative Commons Licence
20. St. Mary the Virgin Church, Little Addington: Photograph: © Katie, and licenced for reuse under this Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic Creative Commons Licence


Please contact us

email If you have any questions or comments about the information on this site in general, or you have further information regarding this article, please Get in touch by leaving a message in our Guestbook. If you don't want the message to be added to the Guestbook, just say that in your text. We look forward to hearing from you.


Return to Top of Page

Translate this page:


SSL Certificate

Internet Beacon Diamond Site - 2010

© The Craxford Family Genealogy Magazine and individual copyright holders.
Edited and maintained by Alan D. Craxford 2005 - 2021. All rights reserved. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.
You are not authorized to add this page or any images from this page to Ancestry.com (or its subsidiaries) or other fee-paying sites without our express permission and then, if given, only by including our copyright and a URL link to the web site.

Search the Craxford Family Magazine powered by FreeFind
Optimal screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 and above
This page has been designed to display on mobile phone screens
- landscape orientation recommended

Hosted By eUKhost logo UK Web Hosting and

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 10.1.3cx, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2021.

****